• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Teens and young adults have high sex drives comparison to middle aged and old people ?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What is the reason here ?
I'd say it's nature's way of saying take a well deserved break for a while, but don't be fooled, a lot of old farts and fartetts still have a couple of oats for those special moments.

For people like me , you could also say the plumbing can get old and doesn't work as well as it used to, but personally I find it really nice not having to think about sex all the time as there's plenty else to do in the world where one can be just as passionate and intimate other than satiating that 'second brain' downstairs.

You probably won't understand what that means, but I guarantee you'll find out once you hit the old golden years.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Genes are better able to reproduce themselves if they maximize breeding drive in the young and vigorous.
Middle aged people were fewer and served the gene pool better as guardians, toolmakers and culture banks. Old people, were few and far between, and best served maintaining the camp and as child caregivers while the younger band members are out hunting and gathering.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
What is the reason here ?
Because they are closer to dying (of old age) than they are to being born?

We humans come with inbuilt obsolescence

If we were immortal Earth would become over-crowded

Personally as a 41 year old I am thankful for having less of a sex drive than I did when I was 19 or 20

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Perhaps the biological reason why the young tend to have greater sex drives is that they will generally be healthier and hence have healthier children - with an average age of about 25 probably being the healthiest to have children - or about that age. Hence probably why the sex drive is greater then.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't want to sound wicked...
but I have heard certain things about mature people...
I believe it's the other way around.
That mature people have much more sex than teens and youth in general.

And I will add a more spicy detail: teenagers and university students tend to have a much more romantic and rosy approach to sex.

PS: I grew up in a tiny town in the South...there was no privacy about people's sex lives. So...

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Perhaps the biological reason why the young tend to have greater sex drives is that they will generally be healthier and hence have healthier children - with an average age of about 25 probably being the healthiest to have children - or about that age. Hence probably why the sex drive is greater then.
Look to our evolutionary history. What drives and behaviors were most selective during the several million years of hominin evolution?

When child mortality was ~50%, and life dangerous, unpredictable, with few safety nets; and a 40 year old was ancient, you had to make hay while the sun shone, and begin replacing band numbers at the earliest opportunity.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Look to our evolutionary history. What drives and behaviors were most selective during the several million years of hominin evolution?

When child mortality was ~50%, and life dangerous, unpredictable, with few safety nets; and a 40 year old was ancient, you had to make hay while the sun shone, and begin replacing band numbers at the earliest opportunity.
Yes, there is that of course, and as to why the poor mostly tend to have more children, because of child mortality.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There is no doubt at all that women tend to become more sexually driven towards menopause at this time their clitoris becomes appreciably larger and more e sensitive. And fear of pregnancy decreases. Men on the other hand slow down and take their time.but appreciate sex no less.