• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does a day equal a thousand years in Christianity?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Like in 2nd Peter chapter 3?

Dosent make any sense at all. Why not call a thousand years a thousand years, and a day a day? Especially when it comes to units of time like a creation day in Genesis. Why not say a thousand years? One of the odd thoughts I've been entertaining this evening.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

Dosent make any sense at all. Why not call a thousand years a thousand years, and a day a day? Especially when it comes to units of time like a creation day in Genesis. Why not say a thousand years? One of the odd thoughts I've been entertaining this evening.

it comes from the hebrew scriptures where 1,000 years is like 1 day in Gods eyes.
Psalm 90:4 For a thousand years are in your eyes just as yesterday when it is past,
Just as a watch during the night.

Its really just showing us the difference in how God views time. To us, 1,000 years is such a long time because we dont even live for 100 years, But to God, 1,000 years is like 1 day because he is eternal and 1,000 years to someone who has lived for literally billions of years is a very short time.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I think that Peter was just using that as an example that God's time is different than ours. I doubt it meant literally that 1,000 years is a day to God. But, I am not sure of that.

idav

Being
Premium Member
It's cause god doesn't have a watch and really very little use for time. We seem to have use for time but an eternity can pass and god would barely blink an eye. I don't think we are supposed to take that thousand year thing quite literally but it makes a valid point on the supernature of god as far as time is concerned. Humans have began to tap into this knowledge seeing how little we understand of time and space. We end up needing Einstein typse to try and explain it and even then we can barely grasp how extraordinary it really is.

busy.love.bee

time is a mental concept
as God is beyond mind, there is no time in truth
but as God descends to play in the dense realms, where mind is needed to function
there are indeed different levels of density
in this physical, one of the slowest and densest possible
everything is indeed in very slow motion, heavy, binding
the body case like a torture to the free spirit
so, yes, 1000 years here is 'perceived' as one day in the lighter realms
this how, from a higher point of view, it doesn't really matter if we play rough for a while :)