• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does homelandr exist and why is he evil ?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Homelander stands for human morality unfettered by constraint. His journey is one where he initially constrains himself (or is encouraged to via some fairly dubious relationships) before realising there really is no constraints on him.

Comparing that to other key characters like Butcher, and their relative powerlessness and moral dilemmas is part of the interest I think.

Massimo2002

Homelander stands for human morality unfettered by constraint. His journey is one where he initially constrains himself (or is encouraged to via some fairly dubious relationships) before realising there really is no constraints on him.

Comparing that to other key characters like Butcher, and their relative powerlessness and moral dilemmas is part of the interest I think.
That still doesn't explaining why he is evil or why Antony Starr exists and how much of Antony Starr is in homelander ?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
A better question why does Anthony Starr exist and why is he popular ?
Homelander is a nearly pure example of the self-centered bully and hypocrite. A very common type of person with little to no interest in introspection, empathy or morality - which, interestingly enough, often leads to pursuing public displays of having just that interest in order to attempt to counter the obvious.

Anthony Starr is just an actor that happens to handle the character well and understand it equally well.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
(...) why Antony Starr exists

I don't understand this question. How or why would his existence need any particularly justification or explanation? There is no obvious mystery there.

and how much of Antony Starr is in homelander ?

Far as we can see? Very little, fortunately. He has recently made statements that put any lingering doubt to rest.

Massimo2002

I don't understand this question. How or why would his existence need any particularly justification or explanation? There is no obvious mystery there.

Far as we can see? Very little, fortunately. He has recently made statements that put any lingering doubt to rest.
What is atheification ?

Massimo2002

Homelander is a nearly pure example of the self-centered bully and hypocrite. A very common type of person with little to no interest in introspection, empathy or morality - which, interestingly enough, often leads to pursuing public displays of having just that interest in order to attempt to counter the obvious.

Anthony Starr is just an actor that happens to handle the character well and understand it equally well.
Why can't homelander be a good guy ? And why does Anthony Starr handle the character and understand him ?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why can't homelander be a good guy ? And why does Anthony Starr handle the character and understand him ?
Homelander lacks moral integrity. He is much too driven by his basest drives. That is just who he is; he never learned better.

Or to put it in another way, he never could or wanted to learn moral wisdom.

As for Anthony Star... he is an actor. It is his job to understand the characters that he plays and do convincing performances.

He just happens to to a good job, at least in this particular case. Nothing remarkable there, except perhaps that he might be someone to watch for when casting other roles of dangerous hypocrites.

I fear I still don't understand what is unclear to you on these matters.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That still doesn't explaining why he is evil or why Antony Starr exists and how much of Antony Starr is in homelander ?
The Boys is largely an examination of how power corrupts, and Homelander is a key part of that, in so far as he is the equivalent of 'Superman' in a gritty, flawed world.
Whilst all the heroes have flaws, he is the most extreme paragon of 'good' in terms of perception/image, and therefore the most extreme version of 'flawed' in reality. It's not that he is evil, per se, but rather than his flaws lead him to do evil acts, as well as make him open to manipulation.

As for Antony Starr...I have no idea what 'why Antony Starr exists and how much of Antony Starr is in homelander ?' means, really.

Massimo2002

The Boys is largely an examination of how power corrupts, and Homelander is a key part of that, in so far as he is the equivalent of 'Superman' in a gritty, flawed world.
Whilst all the heroes have flaws, he is the most extreme paragon of 'good' in terms of perception/image, and therefore the most extreme version of 'flawed' in reality. It's not that he is evil, per se, but rather than his flaws lead him to do evil acts, as well as make him open to manipulation.

As for Antony Starr...I have no idea what 'why Antony Starr exists and how much of Antony Starr is in homelander ?' means, really.
But power doesn't corrupt everyone and his actions are just heinous why would you justify them unless you yourself are evil.