• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Elohim?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Because the early Biblical narratives were told from a standpoint of henotheism, not monotheism. "Elohim" means "the heavenly assembly of the gods." It was not until much later that monotheism became prevalent in the Hebrew religion.

A

angellous_evangellous

Because the early Biblical narratives were told from a standpoint of henotheism, not monotheism. "Elohim" means "the heavenly assembly of the gods." It was not until much later that monotheism became prevalent in the Hebrew religion.

I should have read your response before I posted. :D

A

angellous_evangellous

Because there is more than one.

The Yahwehist thought that there was. Genesis was obviously revised by later monotheists who equated Yahweh with Elohim. For whatever reason, it seems to me that Jews don't confuse Elohim with multiple gods nowadays - it has referred to the one Yahweh in Judaism for some time now.

EDIT: We have this phrase over and over again Yahweh your Elohim - Yahweh is singular and Elohim is plural. The constant singular/plural nature of God highlights the struggle of Judaism to become monotheistic rather than henotheistic.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
EDIT: The constant singular/plural nature of God highlights the struggle of Judaism to become monotheistic rather than henotheistic.
Or maybe the Holy Spirit knew what He was talking about from the very beginning Angellous. This is not proof of multiple authors or JPED but that from the very beginning the bible speaks the truth about who God is because it was inspired by God.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
The Yahwehist thought that there was. Genesis was obviously revised by later monotheists who equated Yahweh with Elohim. For whatever reason, it seems to me that Jews don't confuse Elohim with multiple gods nowadays - it has referred to the one Yahweh in Judaism for some time now.

EDIT: We have this phrase over and over again Yahweh your Elohim - Yahweh is singular and Elohim is plural. The constant singular/plural nature of God highlights the struggle of Judaism to become monotheistic rather than henotheistic.

Don't the Jews believe the words in the Torah were given them by God? If so, did God make a mistake by using Elohim or what?

My understanding of the Jewish belief is essentially zero so if I am missing something...

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Or maybe the Holy Spirit knew what He was talking about from the very beginning Angellous. This is not proof of multiple authors or JPED but that from the very beginning the bible speaks the truth about who God is because it was inspired by God.

I thought you believed in the trinity?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
And this wasn't corrected because?
The Yahwehist thought that there was. Genesis was obviously revised by later monotheists who equated Yahweh with Elohim.
So why didn't they make the correction to singular in their revisions?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
"The map is not the territory" - whatever the evolution of the term, the verb and adjective forms linked to Elohim are singular.

Super Universe

Defender of God
The Elohim are "The Shining Ones".

They are the most ancient race of ascended beings in the entire multi-verse and they do work for God. They are not gods themselves and they are quite upset when ancient tribal humans have incorrectly considered them to be gods. They have given us much revelation, sometimes through the angels that they work closely with.

A

angellous_evangellous

So "el" means Lord and "elohim" means God? Both singular?

Why does everyone seem to be convinced 'elohim' is plural except the hebrew speaker?

Because technically, it is plural.

What Jay said earlier is illuninating:

"The map is not the territory" - whatever the evolution of the term, the verb and adjective forms linked to Elohim are singular.

That is, as in Genesis 1:1

IN THE beginning God (plural) created (singular verb referring to a techically plural subject) the heaven and the earth.

In many languages, the singluar verb can refer to plural subjects and vice versa. There are many examples in Hebrew (I believe mostly for emphasis) and Greek (due to fluidity), but ifall the adjectives and verbs in reference to Elohim are in the singular (as Jay says, and I'm sure he's right) it must be on purpose.

I do think that the OP addresses the evolution of the term...

EDIT: I forgot also to note that many technically plural nouns may actually be conceptualized as singular - like "seas" may be just one "sea," but it's plural. There are many examples of this in Hebrew if I remember correctly...​