• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I Cannot Take Creationism Seriously

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
One of the reasons I cannot take creationism seriously is on philosophical grounds. It's not just that I find the scientific evidence for evolution, an old earth, and no global flood convincing but, also, for a good philosophical reason. The reason is simple: creationists are still researching problems with reconciling the Bible with science and still coming up with new solutions for old problems. I want to give a few examples of this:

1.) The Starlight Problem. I consider the starlight problem to be fatal for young-earth creationism. I am aware of several "solutions" to the problem with the two most popular and somewhat recent "solutions" being the "light-speed decay" hypothesis of Barry Setterfield and the "relativistic" solution of D. Russell Humphreys. IIRC, Setterfield proposed his hypothesis in the 1980s. IIRC, Humphreys proposed his own hypothesis after he was dissatisfied with Setterfield's hypothesis and others. To this day, creationists are far from unified on how to resolve the starlight problem.

But the starlight problem has existed for many, many years. It existed for many years before either Setterfield or Humphreys proposed their "solutions". But if any of these solutions is the right one, why did it take so long for Yahweh to reveal enough data for someone like Setterfield or Humphreys to realize a credible solution existed? From what I have read, the starlight problem was noticed as early as the late 19th century. If Setterfield's "light-speed decay" hypothesis is the right hypothesis, why didn't Yahweh have someone reveal it in the 19th century, as immediately as the problem was firt noticed?

Ditto with Humphreys' "relativistic" cosmology. His cosmology crucially depends on Einstein's theories of relativity. Yet the starlight problem was noticed before Einstein wrote any papers on relativity. Einstein's theories of relativity are necessary requisites for this cosmology of Humphreys to work. In fact, we can ask why a creationist didn't propose the theories of relativity (both special and general) before Einstein? We can ask why didn't Yahweh have a young-earth creationist not only propose the theories of relativity, as soon as the starlight problem was first noticed and made public, but, have that very same creatonist physicist also propose the "relativistic solution" to the starlight problem? Where was the 19th century version of Humphreys when the starlight problem was first noticed?

What this means is that if, say, Setterfield's hypothesis is the right one, then no one had any justification for believing that the Bible, teaching a young earth, was reconcilable with distant starlight. There was never any reason for believing any harmony existed between the Bible and science on the issue of distant starlight. If creationists respond that this is nonsense, that there were many excellent reasons for believing that the Bible was always the inerrant, inspired, and infallible word of Yahweh and that Christ rose from the dead, and, therefore, Christianity is true, then why would any creationists even bother with the starlight problem? If arguments for Christianity are that cogent, that persuasive, then there is no real need to try to reconcile distant starlight with the Bible.

Obviously, creationists are bothered by this. I see the attempts at devising "solutions" like Humphreys and Setterfield to be damage control. Creationists like these have been on the losing end and they know it. Their attempts are laughible and I personally cannot take them seriously.

2.) Irreducible Complexity This has become a favorite argument among Evangelical Christians since Michael Behe published his book Darwin's Black Box. At last, a reputable biochemist, with neither a procreationist or antievolutionary axe to grind, has come out with a book proving what creationists have long hoped for: a book showing the molecular complexity of life must have been designed. IIRC, Ann Coulter went so far, in her book Godless, to say that Behe refuted evolution. But a moment's thought reveals something seriously wrong with this argument, though. There is a serious philosophical flaw in this argument.

If the molecular complexity of life is irreducibly complex, as Behe maintains, and if this is the best and most devastating argument against Darwinian evolution possible, why did Yahweh wait all these years before finally unveiling it? Why wasn't DNA and the molecular chemistry of life known in Darwin's time? Why weren't the irreducibly complex systems of living organsims known before and by the time Darwin published his Origin of Species? Even creationists have to admit, Darwin might have had serious second thoughts about publishing the Origin had he known about the incredible and irreducible complexity of life's biochemistry. Wouldn't it be a treat to see Darwin fumble over himself, in the pages of the Origin, trying desperately and miserably to explain the unexplainable? Why not? Why did Yahweh wait so long to unsheathe such a devastating weapon?

The fact of the matter is that this argument is nothing new. IIRC, this argument was proposed, not by William Paley, but by St. George Mivart. All Behe's argument has done is add some shiny new luster to this old argument by applying it to the biochemical level. IIRC, biologists since Darwin's time have pointed out what is wrong with Mivart's argument and, so, it's not surprising that many biologists probably consider Behe's arguments to be crank science. But even if Behe's argument is perfectly cogent, I have a hard time believing the Designer to be Yahweh for the same reason I have a hard time taking the cosmologies of Humphreys and Setterfield seriously.

3.) Radiohalos This was an argument proposed by Robert V Gentry in his book Creation's Tiny Mystery. He proposes that polonium radiohalos prove a young earth and a global flood. Yet if this was such powerful evidence for a young earth, why weren't radiohalos known and understood in the 19th century when many geologists began to accept that the Earth was quite old? Imagine Charles Lyell going through such great pains to explain it away. Where was the 19th century version of Gentry back then to show the world that the earth is very young with his polonium radiohalos? This is besides any of the scientific flaws in the argument from radiohalos.

If this is such powerful evidence for a young earth and a global flood, why didn't Yahweh reveal this earlier? Why didn't Yahweh unsheathe this mighty weapon in the 19th century for all the world to see? We should see not only this but a comprehensive creationist theory on how to explain distant starlight that even makes predictions like radioactive decay and relativity. Yet nothing of the sort was ever proposed. Why not? Why not have this, but also a hypothesis like Setterfield's to explain distant starlight and radioactivity, and also Behe's argument to refute evolution. Why aren't the majority of today's scientists young-earth creationists?

JMR105

Brilliant post.

I am simply astounded that the creationism 'argument' wasn't discarded long ago along with the 'flat earth' theory!

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I enjoyed your post. I would have just said because it's creationism and it holds no scientific weight.

nnmartin

Matthew said:
if the molecular complexity of life is irreducibly complex, as Behe maintains, and if this is the best and most devastating argument against Darwinian evolution possible, why did Yahweh wait all these years before finally unveiling it? Why wasn't DNA and the molecular chemistry of life known in Darwin's time?

How does this observation make any difference whatsoever to the idea of Creationism?

God provides the conditions for life to occur - then the physical laws (which he created) allow nature to take it's course as we know it.

God isn't in the habit of teaching scientific methods to people, he allows them to work things out for themselves in accordance with free will.

You are saying absolutely nothing that refutes the Lord's mighty design one iota.

The same applies to these 3 merry men too: Humphreys,Setterfield,Robert V Gentry

- no doubt brilliant in their day - but God did not guide their work or avoid 'telling them' anything.

free will is the name of the game here.

It seems atheism is gaining the upper hand in the UU "church".

Last edited:

nnmartin

I agree with that statement and I accept most of the facts of evolution too, yet with 2 main differences.

1. God created the conditions for evolution to occur.

2. God/Force guides the evolutionary process in a way unknown by science.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I agree with that statement and I accept most of the facts of evolution too, yet with 2 main differences.

As long as you don't try to pass off these two points as scientific, I don't see myself taking an issue with either point.

outhouse

Atheistically

theistic evolution

installing god in the gaps of their knowledge for NO known reason

tytlyf

Not Religious
The Vatican accepts evolution, so why don't the christians in America? There is zero proof of a god creating everything. If it makes you warm and fuzzy inside imagining that, fine. But please don't try to infuse creationism into public school science classes.

If you want to teach creationism, keep it in sunday school.

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
How does this observation make any difference whatsoever to the idea of Creationism?

God provides the conditions for life to occur - then the physical laws (which he created) allow nature to take it's course as we know it.

God isn't in the habit of teaching scientific methods to people, he allows them to work things out for themselves in accordance with free will.

You are saying absolutely nothing that refutes the Lord's mighty design one iota.

My post was why I cannot take creationism seriously. What I have in mind are young-earth creationism and "neocreationism". Your post indicates to me that you're a theistic evolutionist so I have a hard time understanding how my post relates to your position. I am not arguing against the idea of a divine being getting the ball rolling and letting it role where it's supposed to. I am arguing mostly against young-earth creationism and I took a whack at Behe's nonsense.

The same applies to these 3 merry men too: Humphreys,Setterfield,Robert V Gentry

- no doubt brilliant in their day - but God did not guide their work or avoid 'telling them' anything.

Okay, now I am convinced that you didn't grasp the points of my post. My first point was that prior to Humphres and Setterfield, no one had any justification for believing that distant starlight was reconcilable with a young-earth understanding of the Bible. My second point was that if Behe's argument really is devastating, it's hard to understanding why God waited so long to reveal the irreducible complexity of life's molecular systems. Do you really think that God would withhold his best evidence for design until longer after (over a century!) Darwin published his work? My third point is that it's silly to believe that God would wait until the latter half of the 20th century to reveal his best evidence for a young-earth when all the experts long ago concluded, especially in the 19th century, that the earth was old!

Secondly, you say that Humphreys, Gentry, and Setterfield were, no doubt, all brilliant men in their day. As far as I know, these men are still alive! Seriously, have you read their books or any other works? Have you read D. Russell Humphreys' book Starlight and Time? Gentry's book Creation's Tiny Mystery? If not, have you read any articles or essays describing their ideas or summarizing their work? If no, I'm not sure why you would feel compelled to comment.

free will is the name of the game here.

God didn't guide the works of these men? So these men are not inspired by Christ to help believers? They're not motivated by the "Holy Spirit" to seek a reconciliation between science and the Bible? As for free will...I'm not sure what this has to do with anything. I don't recall saying that God should've made them zombies and mechanically dictated their work.

It seems atheism is gaining the upper hand in the UU "church".

Congradulations. You have left me nearly dumbfounded. What this has to do with anything in the OP is beyond me. Is there something I'm missing here?

glyphkenn

Are there any research ,ever or ongoing on any god theories ?