• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Being a Fool Sometimes Praised in Some Religions?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Why is being a fool sometimes praised in some religions? What is meant by "fool" in these cases?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I have never met anyone who is not a fool...at least some times, about some things...myself especially...but most people shun thinking that about themselves, and rarely voice that opinion about others...

My experience has been that people who talk about being a fool for their religion are, mostly, Christians...and are largely parroting Paul and other Church Fathers to justify and puff up their own faith.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The fool is a sufi teaching device often using "Mullah Nasrudin" as the protagonist. Here's two:

Did You Enjoy the Stew?

Nasrudin was invited to the royal palace for dinner one night. During the meal, the King asked Nasrudin if he enjoyed the stew.

"Yes," replied Nasrudin, "it was fantastic."

"Really?" said the King. "I thought it was pretty bad."

"Yes," said Nasrudin, "you're right--it was quite awful."

"Wait a minute," remarked the King. "You just said it was fantastic a few seconds ago."

"That's correct," explained Nasrudin, "but I live in and serve the town of the King, not the stew."

You're Right

Judge Nasrudin was listening to a case. After hearing the plaintiff present his side, Nasrudin remarked, "You're right."

Then, after the defendant had presented his case, Nasrudin again remarked, "Yes, you're right."

Nasrudin's wife had been listening to the case, and remarked, "that doesn't make any sense--how can both the defendant and palintiff be right?"

"You know what?" Nasrudin responded. "You're right, too!"

Orbit

I'm a planet
Why is being a fool sometimes praised in some religions? What is meant by "fool" in these cases?

I think it's because fools show us how un-wise we can be sometimes. Like the saying "out of the mouths of babes", they tell it like it is because they don't know any better. They are not as "socialized", they aren't worried about what others will think, so their reactions are purer and more truthful.