• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Water Wet?

CynthiaCypher

Nope, although I have seen a few lectures about him and once lived with a philosophy student who outlined, in brief, some of his basic ideas.

Have you ever read any Niels Bohr?

Some stuff. But I don't think you are getting Nietzsche. He is saying that science cannot answer ultimate questions about the physical universe such as "where did it all come from", but science is unable to answer ultimate question regarding meaning like "what does it all mean".

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Some stuff. But I don't think you are getting Nietzsche. He is saying that science cannot answer ultimate questions about the physical universe such as "where did it all come from", but science is unable to answer ultimate question regarding meaning like "what does it all mean".

And I disagree with him. Not because I think it can or will, but because I think it's meaningless to assume that it cannot ever possibly answer such questions. What is the justification for his assertion?

Gordian Knot

Being Deviant IS My Art.

And your microwave cannot wash your clothes either. Do you blame the microwave for being unable to do what it was never meant to do?

So it is with science. It was never intended to answer questions like 'what does it all mean'. To accuse a discipline of not being able to do what it never was meant to do is silly.

Gordian Knot

Being Deviant IS My Art.
Of course you are. You know that. Which is fine. Nothing wrong with stirring the pot. Far as I can tell, though, that is all you do? From time to time how about a post expressing your personal views, opinions, truths. Now that would be of interest to me.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The question is simple: why does water wet? Just admit that science can't answer the question.

Science cannot and dose not answer such questions. It is a poetic question; concerns with feelings , perceptions and sentiments.

As scientists; a special field; they have their own secular languages for every branch of knowledge that best suits to them and sometimes every branch has separate dictionary of its terms .

They drift away from the ordinary man and his terms; they even drift away from the common life.

In a sense they are like inhabitants of seminaries, cut off from the general life.

This is just what I think; others must differ with me.

Regards

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Science cannot and dose not answer such questions. It is a poetic question; concerns with feelings , perceptions and sentiments.

What makes you think that feelings, perceptions and sentiments are not amenable to scientific investigation?

Ciao

- viole

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
What makes you think that feelings, perceptions and sentiments are not amenable to scientific investigation?

Ciao

- viole

Then please answer the question quoting from a peer reviewed article in a journal of science or a text-book of science.

Regards

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Then please answer the question quoting from a peer reviewed article in a journal of science or a text-book of science.

Regards

I don't think they're saying science has answered it, just that there is no reason to assume that it couldn't at some point; or that such questions are intrinsically unavailable to a scientific answer.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Regards

I can't, yet.

I m not saying that these things are currently explained by science. The technology is not there yet.

I am asking what makes them, in principle, not amenable to scientific inquiry.

After all they all happen in brains, and brains look pretty physical to me. For starters, perception, feelings and sentiments can be influenced by physical things like chemicals and degeneration.

What is the problem? You don't like to see evidence of love on a brain scan? ;)

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

CynthiaCypher

I can't, yet.

I m not saying that these things are currently explained by science. The technology is not there yet.

I am asking what makes them, in principle, not amenable to scientific inquiry.

After all they all happen in brains, and brains look pretty physical to me. For starters, perception, feelings and sentiments can be influenced by physical things like chemicals and degeneration.

Ciao

- viole

Ok how about you give us a critical analysis of Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus using particle physics.

Go for it.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Ok how about you give us a critical analysis of Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus using particle physics.

Go for it.

I am not sure that particle physics is the right tool.

I would probably check enhanced brain activity in the brain subsystems responsible for emotional feelings or other regions responsible for higher level cognition.

Of course, the sample under analysis should not include students forced to read it. That might pollute the results with spurious activations of the brain circuitry responsible for boredom :)

Ciao

- viole