• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Isn't There More Suffering?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
If god allows suffering because it is somehow necessary for human salvation, then why isn't there more suffering in the world? Many people go through life with almost no suffering. Has god forsaken these poor individuals?

.lava

Veteran Member
If god allows suffering because it is somehow necessary for human salvation, then why isn't there more suffering in the world? Many people go through life with almost no suffering. Has god forsaken these poor individuals?

i don't think it is absolutely necessary to suffer to be a better person. on the other hand, everyone does suffer once in awhile; don't you think?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
i don't think it is absolutely necessary to suffer to be a better person. on the other hand, everyone does suffer once in awhile; don't you think?

The variance in amount of suffering is extremely large.

So, some people need less suffering to be a better person. Does that mean that people who have easy lives with very little suffering are already somehow better people than those who have to go through years of horrible suffering?

.lava

Veteran Member
The variance in amount of suffering is extremely large.

So, some people need less suffering to be a better person. Does that mean that people who have easy lives with very little suffering are already somehow better people than those who have to go through years of horrible suffering?

one must see the whole picture to answer that. i think anything could be a test matter including comfort. so, let's be paranoid, shall we? ;)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
God fully realizes that many people are wienies. For these people, god creates circumstances that most of us would consider merely annoying or inconvenient, but that from the wienies perspective constitute epic struggles and almost unbearable ordeals.

See, God's like a personal trainer: He's going to put some of his clients right on the free weights and rowing machines. Others He just hands those whimpy little pastel colored hand-weight thingies that you see weekend joggers holding in front of them as they're "power-walking" down the bike path holding up traffic and acting like they own the road and why the hell do they always have to run on the wrong side of the trail is what I want to know.

Last edited:

no-body

You can't accurately judge someones amount of suffering just by superficial appearances alone. Someone who appears to have an easy, comfortable life might be going through absolute hell on the inside. While someone who has all the appearances of being a total victim and faces one untold horror after another might have total peace of mind. How are you to know or judge?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Some people don't need to learn the hard way. I'm pretty sure nobody needs to get cancer to know they don't want it. Suffering being necessary is a ridiculous notion.

Benhamine

Learning Member
God fully realizes that many people are wienies. For these people, god creates circumstances that most of us would consider merely annoying or inconvenient, but that from the wienies perspective constitute epic struggles and almost unbearable ordeals.

See, God's like a personal trainer: He's going to put some of his clients right on the free weights and rowing machines. Others He just hands those whimpy little pastel colored hand-weight thingies that you see weekend joggers holding in front of them as they're "power-walking" down the bike path holding up traffic and acting like they own the road and why the hell do they always have to run on the wrong side of the trail is what I want to know.

And infants that die during childbirth? Do you think they passed?

-Benhamine

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Perhaps god's assigned it your job. :)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
You can't accurately judge someones amount of suffering just by superficial appearances alone. Someone who appears to have an easy, comfortable life might be going through absolute hell on the inside. While someone who has all the appearances of being a total victim and faces one untold horror after another might have total peace of mind. How are you to know or judge?

Sounds like you're the one who's doing the judging. Regardless of specific appearances, some people suffer more greatly than others. Does this not seem apparent to you?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Well, at least a toddler who steps on a landmine and loses his limbs can take solace in the fact that he's not a weenie.

no-body

Sounds like you're the one who's doing the judging. Regardless of specific appearances, some people suffer more greatly than others. Does this not seem apparent to you?

My point is suffering is a state of mind.

As to why sometimes it seems that those who are evil/undeserving get all the rewards in life it is obviously because there is no such thing as cosmic justice, much less a God that metes it out. Only cause and effect.

Orias

Left Hand Path

I don't think this is true, unless of course your a rich spoiled little kid who is protected by every ounce of gravity. But even then, the slightest of disturbances among this peace can be viewed as "suffering" to the partaker.

Especially if you look outside of the United States. People seem to be getting less dramatic over natural disasters and "suffering", so it may seem like the load has been lightened but really its just being ignored until it comes back to bite us in the rear.

Simply, the world does not care.

crocusj

Perhaps he is also judging those who watch others suffer and do nothing to alleviate it for them. Would you expect salvation if you turned your back on someone in need? I would say that God would have to carefully measure the suffering and non suffering ratio to enable the equal salvation possibilities of both demographics. Obviously for this to happen would involve direct action from God. So, no, he has not forsaken them, he is using/creating these suffering people to allow you a route to salvation and not only should you try to help them but you should thank them and God for their predicament.

Acim

Revelation all the time

I don't agree with the first part, though will admit I don't disagree 100%.

Not too hard to understand this if one recognizes own tolerance and/or willingness to allow others to suffer. One may claim they are (or feel) powerless, but we have examples like Mother Theresa to demonstrate that 'lack of power' is an excuse.

The ultimate answer is we are allowing suffering, and allowing more fundamental error of relying on ego to make us happy, feeling healthy, bringing us peace. None of which ego knows how to do, but to degree we can believe separation from God isn't all that bad, to that degree we can believe ego is in charge and may help us get further along in life.