• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why Jews dont preach?

cocokorina

from what I have seen, Jews dont exactly preach like musims and christians do. what is the reason?
please excuse me if i sound ignorant, i truly don't know anything about Judaism other than that it's monotheistic religion. im very intersted in learning more about it.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Unlike Islam and Christianity, Judaism doesn't teach that it is the only way to God.

Judaism is how Jews connect to God, and it is expected that other peoples will have their way to do the same. We believe that all who are "righteous", regardless of their religion, will find a place in the World to Come, and there is no need to for one to convert to Judaism.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I'm not sure I would go so far as Tarheeler does, but I do agree that one doesn't need to be Jewish in order to be rewarded. One only needs to keep the seven Noahide Laws.

Also, to my knowledge, we were not given the mandate to spread G-d's Oneness. That is something for the Messianic era.

Actually, it is not easy for us to have converts. One way or another it causes problems.

Tumah

Veteran Member

That wasn't a joke.

Either the convert doesn't end up keeping the Laws, in which case the state of the entire nation just gets lowered by his sins.
Or the convert ends up being righteous which strengthens the prosecution against those that were born Jewish and are not righteous.

Tumah

Veteran Member

Meaning someone who is born Jewish, would already be familiar with the Laws and it would be that much easier for him. Then a non-Jew who has to familiarize himself with everything from scratch at an advanced age, comes in and passes him.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Or the convert ends up being righteous which strengthens the prosecution against those that were born Jewish and are not righteous.
Meaning someone who is born Jewish, would already be familiar with the Laws and it would be that much easier for him. Then a non-Jew who has to familiarize himself with everything from scratch at an advanced age, comes in and passes him.
Still lost … :sorry1:

ametist

That wasn't a joke.

Either the convert doesn't end up keeping the Laws, in which case the state of the entire nation just gets lowered by his sins.

Still you are glad that it made me laugh, right? A truth making somebody laugh..what else is better? :D

Why isnt it making you laugh? or does it?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
In a way, yes. But the 7 Noahide Laws are for everyone, so in that respect, no.

How can the Noahide Laws be for everyone when they are directly dependent on Jewish scripture and theology?

It seems to be only Judaism Lite from here.

Levite

Higher and Higher
That wasn't a joke.

For the benefit of non-Jewish readers of this thread, most Jews outside the ultra-Orthodox communities do not see things this way.

In a way, yes. But the 7 Noahide Laws are for everyone, so in that respect, no.

And outside of Orthodoxy, this idea is not usually taken quite so literally.

Tumah

Veteran Member
For the benefit of non-Jewish readers of this thread, most Jews outside the ultra-Orthodox communities do not see things this way.

And outside of Orthodoxy, this idea is not usually taken quite so literally.

I don't make this stuff up. See Tosfos in Kidushin 70b. He gives a whole bunch of reasons including the ones I've mentioned here.

But I know, I know. Anything that you don't agree with is not to be taken literally.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I don't make this stuff up. See Tosfos in Kidushin 70b. He gives a whole bunch of reasons including the ones I've mentioned here.

But I know, I know. Anything that you don't agree with is not to be taken literally.

I never said you made anything up. I know where it comes from.

But it's not just that we don't take everything literally, we also feel freer to disagree with post-Talmudic authorities, or with minority or solitary opinions in the Gemara. Nor do we feel bound to accept as binding theology everything rooted in Aggadeta.

cocokorina

Unlike Islam and Christianity, Judaism doesn't teach that it is the only way to God.

Judaism is how Jews connect to God, and it is expected that other peoples will have their way to do the same. We believe that all who are "righteous", regardless of their religion, will find a place in the World to Come, and there is no need to for one to convert to Judaism.

wow, i already like judaism! the main reason i left islam was how it talks about those who believe in other faith and how islam is the ONLY right way. christianity is the same way i believe.
thank you for your answer.
does judaism also have the same concept of hell and heavan after death? will non-jews go to heaven as well if they were good?

dantech

wow, i already like judaism! the main reason i left islam was how it talks about those who believe in other faith and how islam is the ONLY right way. christianity is the same way i believe.
thank you for your answer.
does judaism also have the same concept of hell and heavan after death? will non-jews go to heaven as well if they were good?

Opinions vary a lot on this subject. In any case, our version of heaven/hell is completely different from the others'. For example, in Judaism, those who do believe in hell, dont believe that it is a place of eternal suffering. Rather, it's a place in which the souls pass through after death, for a maximum of 12 months, and it serves as a way to "burn off" all the taints and stains(sins) that are on our soul because of us.

Yes, non-Jews can have a part in the world to come.
Some will argue that it's easier for non Jews because they only need to abide to 7 laws whereas Jews need to abide to 613.

Last edited: