• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why No Major Western Religions?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Why are all major religions from the East?

Even historically, Rome was full of Mirtha-worshippers and Manichaeans.

Why hasn't the West (Europe, the Americas etc.) produced any religions the likes of Islam or Zoroastrianism?

I'm not talking about small Pagan religions followed by a small amount of people who are essentially re-inventing it.

We just didn't seem to create anything on that scale and pass it along.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

Why hasn't the West (Europe, the Americas etc.) produced any religions the likes of Islam or Zoroastrianism?

I'm not talking about small Pagan religions followed by a small amount of people who are essentially re-inventing it.

I asked something similar here:

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I asked something similar here:

I created basically that exact thread a while ago and then deleted it.

It's ****ing depressing.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Of course there's major western religions. Much of it with the indigenous nations who have a deep rich spiritual background.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member

Mormons may say they are just Christians, but Mormonism is a major religion from the West separate from Christianity since they have their own book.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

I think a lot of it was because it was preliterate and passed on orally.

After that those that came.in and took over, were literate, and in the process of making the locals literate chose to do so by enforcing their own doctrines and not embracing those of the locals.

See "driving snakes out of Ireland" for instance. The missionaries drove out the indigenous views.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

The original religions of Native Americans depended on the tribe but they were pretty pantheistic. They are cool religions, but Christianity came in and crushed all of them.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
<...>

Humanism/belief in human agency certainly has been passed along and is quickly growing with the rise of the nones.

Heyo

Veteran Member

You have the wrong premise. There are no major western religions today. So the question isn't why there haven't been western religions, the question is why they didn't survive and become "major".
The answer is that Eastern religions (especially Christianity and Islam) are just so violent and intolerant that they destroyed the more tolerant and peaceful religions.

RestlessSoul

You have the wrong premise. There are no major western religions today. So the question isn't why there haven't been western religions, the question is why they didn't survive and become "major".
The answer is that Eastern religions (especially Christianity and Islam) are just so violent and intolerant that they destroyed the more tolerant and peaceful religions.

You think pre-Christian Europe was tolerant and peaceful?

RestlessSoul

Nope, and neither were the Americas. But they had nothing to put up against the far more hateful and belligerent Christianity and Islam.

I doubt Roman civilisation became more brutal after adopting Christianity. It’s difficult to see how would have been possible. And I doubt Christianised Medieval Europe was more a more violent lawless place than during the dark ages.

Tomef

Judaism blended with classical Greek thought in Christianity, Christianity then blended with the might makes right Roman state, from there power politics and the obvious advantages for leaders of having a populace who believe being humble and submissive is a good thing were some reasons behind the Christian takeover of Europe. Druidical and other pagan religions before that were pretty organised, they had their own monuments, traditions, calendars, legends etc, they just lost out to a religion backed by more military and political power.