• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why should you not be able to question religious belief?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The more I study Sufism the more I see how incredibly much more I learn when people ask questions that could be seen as a critique, or even trying to discredit my belief.
So actually as a believer, I should say thank you to everyone who has a critical eye on what I believe in, and how I practice it. ( I remember before I become a Sufi, that my way of handling critique, was truly horrible :oops:)

But I put this OP in the debate area because I have a feeling (could be wrong) that some people feel hostility toward them if someone asks them a question that could be a challenge to answer.

So to both religious people and non-believers.

How do you feel about being asked questions that challenge your belief or views? How do you go about answering if you feel hostility from the questionnaire?

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
How do you feel about being asked questions that challenge your belief or views?
I welcome them as my faith grows through being challenged

How do you go about answering if you feel hostility from the questionnaire?
If someone is hostile I won't discuss with them, I will ignore them

But hostile is not the same as critical, I can cope with (and welcome) criticism

That goes for on RF and in the world away from RF

But sometimes the line between hostility and criticism can be blurred

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I welcome them as my faith grows through being challenged

If someone is hostile I won't discuss with them, I will ignore them

But hostile is not the same as critical, I can cope with (and welcome) criticism

That goes for on RF and in the world away from RF

But sometimes the line between hostility and criticism can be blurred
I agree that the line between critique and hostility could be seen as very thin sometimes. But could that line be set because we put it there our self, and the questionnaire did not mean it as hostile? :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The more I study Sufism the more I see how incredibly much more I learn when people ask questions that could be seen as a critique, or even trying to discredit my belief.
So actually as a believer, I should say thank you to everyone who has a critical eye on what I believe in, and how I practice it. ( I remember before I become a Sufi, that my way of handling critique, was truly horrible :oops:)

But I put this OP in the debate area because I have a feeling (could be wrong) that some people feel hostility toward them if someone asks them a question that could be a challenge to answer.

How do you feel about being asked questions that challenge your belief or views? How do you go about answering if you feel hostility from the questionnaire?

I suspect the problem is the intent of the questioner. Whether they actually open to your answers or not or whether they are trying to lead you through a series of question that will direct you into accepting the solution they offer.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I suspect the problem is the intent of the questioner. Whether they actually open to your answers or not or whether they are trying to lead you through a series of question that will direct you into accepting the solution they offer.
Yes, I seen this too in discussion

TransmutingSoul

One Planet, One People, Please!
Premium Member

Answering difficult questions is a part of Faith, it is to be embraced in truthfulness and a kindly loving demeanour.

Those that are hostile in approach are not questioning to find an answer.

So the best way to handle that is as the Mesengers did, they mostly remained silent.

Regards Tony

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Answering difficult questions is a part of Faith, it is to be embraced in truthfulness and a kindly loving demeanour.

Those that are hostile in approach are not questioning to find an answer.

So the best way to handle that is as the Mesengers did, they mostly remained silent.

Regards Tony
I noticed when atheists ask difficult questions about my faith, or why I believe the way I do. That is the moment I learn the most about my own being because the answer has to be well thought about and given in a non combating way.

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member

The Key to me is the Word hostile. It would not matter if they try to show through a series of questions how they are right, this is what the JW do and in fact it is how we can find truth. In the end if it is not done in a hostile attitude, one agrees to disagree.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
I noticed when atheists ask difficult questions about my faith, or why I believe the way I do. That is the moment I learn the most about my own being because the answer has to be well thought about and given in a non combating way.

Yes those questions are great, but when hostile enters the mix, it is best to leave the topic alone.

In the teachings given by Baha'u'llah, it was offered if the conversation turns into an argument, then we would both be wrong, as there is never a winner in a hostile argument and never a winner in an argument for only an arguments sake.

Regards Tony

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes those questions are great, but when hostile enters the mix, it is best to leave the topic alone.

In the teachings given by Baha'u'llah, it was offered if the conversation turns into an argument, then we would both be wrong, as there is never a winner hostile argument and no winner in an argument for only and arguments sake.

Regards Tony
Yes, when hostility enters the discussion it is better to leave it for some time. But even hostile questions could be teaching for the one who receives the hostile critique :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The Key to me is the Word hostile. It would not matter if they try to show through a series of questions how they are right, this is what the JW do and in fact it is how we can find truth. In the end if it is not done in a hostile attitude, one agrees to disagree.

Regards Tony

They should, IMO, be open to your views. The JWs I've personally dealt with haven't been. Maybe it's just my bad luck.

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
They should, IMO, be open to your views. The JWs I've personally dealt with haven't been. Maybe it's just my bad luck.

That indeed is their challenge. I have a good friend who is a JW and the conversations always have one intent.

Thus we now know to agree to disagree. I love their heart for others, their desire to save all from themselves, all the while not realising it is just as applicable to one's own self.

Regards Tony

Alienistic

Anti-conformity

No hostility at all. I think that everything should always be questioned. I can be questioned about anything without taking any offense. Anything that cannot be questioned is highly suspicious. Even these statements can be questioned. Of course also, there are many that will tell others to think for themselves and to question everything but then are telling others how to think and cannot be questioned themselves.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I guess there are two perspectives on this. Does your believe define your reality or a part of it?

For example, if you Know God exists and he is part of your reality just as gravity then questioning your knowledge would be like questioning whether gravity existed despite you knowing.

Some people feel it's a waste of time. Another reason that questioning is avoided is if a person questions their reality they need to be open to change if they found out what they believed was false. If a person isn't opened to that it causes cognitive dissonance thereby people don't question it.

That and there is one RF member I'm thinking if where his belief saved his family and life. If he were to question his belief and found out he was wrong it would do more damage than good.

Maybe it depends on how strong ones conviction is and is it worth it.

If you mean reflection questions that strengthens your belief I think a lot of religious do that.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I guess there are two perspectives on this. Does your believe define your reality or a part of it?

For example, if you Know God exists and he is part of your reality just as gravity then questioning your knowledge would be like questioning whether gravity existed despite you knowing.

Some people feel it's a waste of time. Another reason that questioning is avoided is if a person questions their reality they need to be open to change if they found out what they believed was false. If a person isn't opened to that it causes cognitive dissonance thereby people don't question it.

That and there is one RF member I'm thinking if where his belief saved his family and life. If he were to question his belief and found out he was wrong it would do more damage than good.

Maybe it depends on how strong ones conviction is and is it worth it.

If you mean reflection questions that strengthens your belief I think a lot of religious do that.
Speaking only for how I understand it.
My belief lay outside of the physical realm of existence because God is not a physical being ( in my understanding) and I believe the "afterlife" is what Is worth seeking, but of course, as long I am here in physical human form, it is important to live according to this reality too.
I can not know God fully, if I said I did it would be a huge lie. I believe in God.
I see gravity works because if I drop a hammer on my foot, it hurts :) so in a way you can say i know gravity is real, but i can not explain why it works as it does.

Not sure my answer actually answered your questions as you intended them to be answered?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
It all boils down to the existence of real evidence.

Some always believe

Some live without fear of dying

But one most recognize, one can't take it, with one !
Only the spirits know for certain.