• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why to to convice others?

Kcnorwood

It would seem there is a lot of members of the Judeo-Christian faith on this fourm, who feel the need to tell other's of thier faith who to vote for. I haven't seen anyone of another other faith doing this. I very curious to know why.

WonderGoon

It would seem there is a lot of members of the Judeo-Christian faith on this fourm, who feel the need to tell other's of thier faith who to vote for. I haven't seen anyone of another other faith doing this. I very curious to know why.

I believe Christians are commanded by God to spread the faith, (I'm sure a Christian can cite chapter and verse as to where this is in the Bible; I can't, since I'm not that familiar with Christian scripture.) This is probably the main reason why you're seeing this behavior.

Somewhere down the line they got in their heads that they could also tell people how to vote, as well. Not sure where this comes from. I'm pretty sure it's not in the Bible, though.

Voting, like religion, is a deeply personal matter.

Pagans (of virtually any stripe) don't proselytize, (as I'm sure you know, being a Druid) so you probably won't see a Pagan telling you to convert or which candidate to vote for.

I'm not sure how other faiths handle this.:shrug: Perhaps someone else will offer an opinion.

Blessings,
Goon

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
It may be for the simple reason that Christians are a large group on the forum, add to that the election campaign, and the passion it stimulates in many people, and it may seem like a trend.

Kcnorwood

I believe Christians are commanded by God to spread the faith, (I'm sure a Christian can cite chapter and verse as to where this is in the Bible; I can't, since I'm not that familiar with Christian scripture.) This is probably the main reason why you're seeing this behavior.

Somewhere down the line they got in their heads that they could also tell people how to vote, as well. Not sure where this comes from. I'm pretty sure it's not in the Bible, though.

Pagans (of virtually any stripe) don't proselytize, (as I'm sure you know, being a Druid) so you probably won't see a Pagan telling you to convert or which candidate to vote for.

I'm not sure how other faiths handle this.:shrug: Perhaps someone else will offer an opinion.

Blessings,
Goon

But they aren't spreading the faith they are telling others who they SHOULD vote for.

WonderGoon

But they aren't spreading the faith they are telling others who they SHOULD vote for.

Then they've gone beyond the bounds of what they were commanded to do. As Caladan said it's an election year and many Christians see the opportunity to use the election to spark a religious debate. A debate which will, of course, lead back to Jesus.

If it really bothers you, I'd suggest just ignoring it. If they persist in bugging you about it, bring it to the attention of the Mods and let them handle it.

Blessings,
Goon

Kcnorwood

If it really bothers you, I'd suggest just ignoring it. If they persist in bugging you about it, bring it to the attention of the Mods and let them handle it.
Blessings,
Goon

It doesn't bother me I just find it intresting that some people can't stand to let others think for themselves on who to vote for.

Dunemeister

It's a deeply PUBLIC matter (on both counts). A lot of religions may be private affairs, but not Christianity. It started out as the proclamation that Jesus is Kyrios (Lord), which was a title assumed by the Roman Emperor. Basically, they were saying that there was a new Emperor. This got the early Christians into a lot of hot water (not to mention arenas). Christianity has been privatized a lot since the mid 18th century, mostly because Christians bought by and large into Enlightenment rhetoric. And what you're seeing today with Christians forming voting blocs in the USA, according to my armchair anaysis, is the outworking of an inner Christian faith dynamic that rebels against the artificial privatization of their religion. (Of course, their overweening interest in sexual matters shows that privatization is still strong, even if rebelled against. Christians ought to focus more on matters of justice than matters of the bedroom.)

tomspug

Absorbant
Politics is very similar to religion, honestly. However, I never tell anyone to vote for someone based on religion. I discuss the issues, that's it.

Honestly, I hope that Christianity will learn to stop living vicariously through politics and start "changing the world" in their own backyards instead of on the big world stage.

WonderGoon

It's a deeply PUBLIC matter (on both counts).

:eek: I disagree! Religion is a private matter, and, were you to ask me in real life what my religion is, my answer would be to tell you to butt out. It's none of your business. I'd tell you the same thing about politics.

A lot of religions may be private affairs, but not Christianity.

As I said, Christians are commanded to spread the word. I was never debating this point.

And this is a fundamental difference between Christianity and most forms of Paganism. Christians grow their faith (sometimes forcibly), Pagan faiths allow converts to find their own way. Most Pagan faiths figure if you were meant to be a Pagan, then you'll find your way there eventually. It's a natural process, rather than a forced one.

Which is why I stated it's a personal matter. No one should be forced into a religion against their will. That's just vanity on the converters part.

It started out as the proclamation that Jesus is Kyrios (Lord), which was a title assumed by the Roman Emperor. Basically, they were saying that there was a new Emperor. This got the early Christians into a lot of hot water (not to mention arenas).

Fascinating.

Christianity has been privatized a lot since the mid 18th century, mostly because Christians bought by and large into Enlightenment rhetoric.

Enlightenment is hardly rhetoric. The path of buddha-dharma, for example, is the awakening of the mind and the senses. Thus, enlightenment is to perceive the world around you clearly.

And what you're seeing today with Christians forming voting blocs in the USA, according to my armchair anaysis, is the outworking of an inner Christian faith dynamic that rebels against the artificial privatization of their religion. (Of course, their overweening interest in sexual matters shows that privatization is still strong, even if rebelled against. Christians ought to focus more on matters of justice than matters of the bedroom.)

On the matter of Christians getting out of my bedroom, I agree. No religion, (of any kind), no person, has the right to tell me who I can love. Period.

Yours in Long Wordy Posts,
Goon

WonderGoon

Politics is very similar to religion, honestly. However, I never tell anyone to vote for someone based on religion. I discuss the issues, that's it.

Honestly, I hope that Christianity will learn to stop living vicariously through politics and start "changing the world" in their own backyards instead of on the big world stage.

I wish there were more people, not just Christians, but non-religious people who thought this way. (And no, I'm not saying Christians aren't' people too.) ;)

Goon

Dunemeister

:eek: I disagree! Religion is a private matter, and, were you to ask me in real life what my religion is, my answer would be to tell you to butt out. It's none of your business. I'd tell you the same thing about politics.

That's perfectly in keeping with the pagan belief system you espouse. As I've said, Christianity is different. It makes relio-political claims that are extremely publicly relevant. If Jesus is Lord, Obama or McCain aren't (and won't be).

As I said, Christians are commanded to spread the word. I was never debating this point.

And I wasn't raising it. The relevance and publicness of the Christian message goes beyond conversion. If Jesus is truly the world's Lord, that'll have political ramifications. I'm not convinced Christians have properly discerned those, but they're certainly there. Intuitively, this makes politics of deep concern to Christians, and political matters tend to receive hot debate among us.

And this is a fundamental difference between Christianity and most forms of Paganism. Christians grow their faith (sometimes forcibly), Pagan faiths allow converts to find their own way. Most Pagan faiths figure if you were meant to be a Pagan, then you'll find your way there eventually. It's a natural process, rather than a forced one.

Which is why I stated it's a personal matter. No one should be forced into a religion against their will. That's just vanity on the converters part.

It's a side issue, but the "forced conversion" rhetoric really has to stop. Christians have been rightly and truly brought to book for forced conversions for a short time in the Middle Ages. That was several hundred years ago; can we please get past it?

Enlightenment is hardly rhetoric. The path of buddha-dharma, for example, is the awakening of the mind and the senses. Thus, enlightenment is to perceive the world around you clearly.

I'm referring to the political movement that developed in the eighteenth century that saw science and the "new philosophy" of the day as the wellspring of knowledge and our eventual savior. It's this ideology that has come under attack in the so-called postmodern movement. Christians (I among them) value true enlightenment as you define it.

Cheers!

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I'm a Christian and I have never even suggested to anyone how they should vote. I just think that everyone needs to give some deep thought about each person that is running for whatever office and then vote according to their own convictions. If listed this way...a--Obama, b--McCain, c--none of the above, I would have to go with none of the above. I think there were some other choices out there somewhere :shrug:
I know I'll have to make a choice soon, but as of now, I'm not leaning in either direction.....

Last edited: