• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why was Jesus full of grief at the death of Lazarus?

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
When Jesus heard this, He said, “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it.” (John 11:4)

“Jesus told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead,15and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.” (John 11:14-15)

“Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died. But even now I know that God will give You [Jesus] whatever You [Jesus] ask of Him.” (John 11:21-22)

It appears that Jesus was in deep grief over the death of his friend, Lazarus, so much that he wept.

But was the weeping really for Lazarus, afterall, many many many people had died before (and will die after) Lazarus. The scriptures details others who were in grief over the death (or dying) of someone they loved and there must be many more undone yes who were in similarly deep grief.

And, Jesus would been the first to have known that there was the resurrection to come, and that God could gave life back to Lazarus if He chose to. Is it possible that Jesus was really looking in forwardness to HIS OWN DEATH to come and, again, if God could resurrect him to ETERNAL LIFE, instead of the TEMPORARY resurrection that was to follow for Lazarus - afterall, Lazarus did die again so Jesus’ resurrection of him (though it was God who DID THE ACT… Jesus was just the channel through which the act was performed) was not permanent (What was it like when Lazarus died AGAIN… did anyone think he would live forever?)

“Jesus wept” (John 1-:35) - a very powerful and moving moment … ‘What if I cannot raise up Lazarus??’ (anecdotally)

Jesus’ grief was echoed again in his own death to come as seen by the events in the garden at Gethsemane the night before he was to die. Jesus faltered briefly, asking God if there could be ‘Another way’ that his sacrifice did the salvation of mankind could be carried out. To his credit he recovered himself immediately saying, ‘But not my Will but yours be done’.

Last edited: