• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would God create Evolution?

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
To write G-d is not my religious practice. It is a Jewish practice. I don't hate Jews. I like to write like this than to write God which the Christian take for Jesus.

Neither Jews nor Muslims believe Jesus as god; he never was, it is a Christian misconception.

Regards

He couldn't be then, he was a man. God is spirit. But Jesus is spirit now, so he is, now.

Robert.Evans

Mainly, that there were (and are still) repeated opportunities of testing its accuracy (by predicting the presence of fossils, of biological markers, of population shifts, of vestigial organs) and it has consistently shown to be up for the task.

That is the most puzzling aspect of the "controversy". So many people claim outright that Evolution is a conspiracy, a theory in crisis, a lie, whatever.

And on that... they are simply ignorant, wrong, or lying outright.
In your opinion of course... haha

Robert.Evans

In a sense it is there. Part of evolutionary theory is the part of diversity. Diversity is basically having a large pool of variation of genetic material, not all of it fit for future selective pressure. It's like ebb and flow, or like a pump. First charge up with a huge pool of potential alternatives, then pressure selects the most fit of them. The ones who are gone are in a sense wasted away. But no one really ever says that out loud though. :)
I think that is a good answer. But it is interesting that those huge pool of potential alternatives have to be there in the first place for it to work at all.... hmmm

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I think that is a good answer. But it is interesting that those huge pool of potential alternatives have to be there in the first place for it to work at all.... hmmm
Everything is an infinite pool of infinite potentials. We're just experiencing one of them. In the infinite set of natural numbers, perhaps we're just number 5362 or 9713458902. Who knows...

Robert.Evans

Everything is an infinite pool of infinite potentials. We're just experiencing one of them. In the infinite set of natural numbers, perhaps we're just number 5362 or 9713458902. Who knows...
Sure, but my point is that if someone does not believe in God, and that consciousness is evolving, then it is just very convenient that they are there. One cannot 'select' from what is not there.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Sure, but my point is that if someone does not believe in God, and that consciousness is evolving, then it is just very convenient that they are there. One cannot 'select' from what is not there.
What do you mean "they are there"? Who and where. Not sure what you meant with that.

I believe consciousness is an integral part of existence, just like time, energy, spatial dimensions, etc. Each part depends on the other ones.

Robert.Evans

What do you mean "they are there"? Who and where. Not sure what you meant with that.

I believe consciousness is an integral part of existence, just like time, energy, spatial dimensions, etc. Each part depends on the other ones.
Sure... what we see is evolving consciousness expressed in physical terms.

What I meant was, if natural selection selects, it has to have things to select from. I fair guess that I could do something given that everything I needed was there and ther was enough time. With consciousness, this is not a problem, but I so not see how an atheist can believe it to be true by sheer luck
EDIT
I am not saying you are an atheist

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

What is this evolving consciousness you speak of? I can't make any sense of this post of yours.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Sure... what we see is evolving consciousness expressed in physical terms.

What I meant was, if natural selection selects, it has to have things to select from. I fair guess that I could do something given that everything I needed was there and ther was enough time. With consciousness, this is not a problem, but I so not see how an atheist can believe it to be true by sheer luck
EDIT
I am not saying you are an atheist
I think I know where you're going with your thoughts.

For instance, there's (unless some researcher have shown otherwise recently) no clear understanding why self-awareness evolved. No one is sure what the evolutionary benefits are. To be conscious, aware of one's surroundings and be able to react and even think about what might happen and predict danger are all good things to have for survival, but why be aware that this person sitting here is me and no one else? Perhaps it's necessary for strong social bonds, I don't know, but in general, it's not clear why it evolved to begin with.

Also, anything that has come about in the universe (and things that might come into existence in the future) are all potentials in the universe itself, not realized, but potentials, therefore, even consciousness would be a potentiality of the universe itself. We don't know all forms it can take, but we know the universe can produce it, so in some sense, it must be integrated in it.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Do you believe in the saviour?
Me?

I believe salvation is when we discover that we already are saved, and by becoming a "Jesus" each one of us. Jesus is a symbol rather than a physical person. It's the hero we have to become (with modifications since the story was made in ancient times and morals and ethics have evolved since). So I don't believe in a literal or physical savior, except for myself becoming one in my life. Acting and treating my family, friends, and society in a loving and caring way.

Robert.Evans

What is this evolving consciousness you speak of? I can't make any sense of this post of yours.
It is the evolving consciousness of God. There is nothing else. That is how evolution manages to work. Without that, there is no reason why chaos would order itself, other than accident and luck. But we have already been there, right :)

Robert.Evans

I think I know where you're going with your thoughts.

For instance, there's (unless some researcher have shown otherwise recently) no clear understanding why self-awareness evolved. No one is sure what the evolutionary benefits are. To be conscious, aware of one's surroundings and be able to react and even think about what might happen and predict danger are all good things to have for survival, but why be aware that this person sitting here is me and no one else? Perhaps it's necessary for strong social bonds, I don't know, but in general, it's not clear why it evolved to begin with.

Also, anything that has come about in the universe (and things that might come into existence in the future) are all potentials in the universe itself, not realized, but potentials, therefore, even consciousness would be a potentiality of the universe itself. We don't know all forms it can take, but we know the universe can produce it, so in some sense, it must be integrated in it.
Ok, no problem. But anyone not beleiving in God has to have a big leap of faith to just accept that everything in the ENTIRE universe would evolve as it did without any consciousness within it. It is just mere accident, chance. On top of that chance evolution, it has to have, by chance, the right properties in the universe to begin with (what a stroke of luck!) otherwise nothing would evolve or develop in the universe at all. Hence the need for a multiverse

Robert.Evans

Me?

I believe salvation is when we discover that we already are saved, and by becoming a "Jesus" each one of us. Jesus is a symbol rather than a physical person. It's the hero we have to become (with modifications since the story was made in ancient times and morals and ethics have evolved since). So I don't believe in a literal or physical savior, except for myself becoming one in my life. Acting and treating my family, friends, and society in a loving and caring way.
So you don't think he existed? Or you don't think he can do what he says?