• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Would Some Religious People Prefer All People Were Religious?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Why would some healthy people prefer all people were healthy? Why would some poor person prefer all people were poor? Why would someone who loves yachting prefer all people love yachting? Why would someone who drinks want the whole world to drink with him?

I don't know.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Simply because the religious feel they have something of tremendous value that has been a great benefit to them. They want to share it. (Most of us are not extremists that push it on everyone.)
IMO if you have something wonderful, offer to share it with others. If others say no, then at least it was offered. But no need to be pushy.

Yeshua_Lives

Left the Forum
You would have to ask those religious people who prefer that all people are religious.

For me, the world would be extremely boring if we all had the same religious beliefs.

Troublemane

In some cases they believe they are compelled to proselytize for their faith, in order to prove their devotion. It may be different for different people: some may be motivated by fear (if i dont prove my faith ill be considered a weakling), some by opportunism (to take advantage of suckers), some may have an "us verses them" mentality (coverting in order to thwart the plans of "satan"), or that they are trying to save the world (their faith is the only way to reach salvation/paradise/freedom from samsara, etc.) But there is another, more sinister possibility....

What if memes are living things, like viruses that live in our minds, and need people to believe in them to exist? What if conversion is the way memes propagate? I think I like this explaination best!

sindbad5

i think many reasons may vary between people, some people want others to share the sweet taste of faith, others want to save their human brothers from allah/god punishment, others just want to follow the teaches of their religion to preach it, others hope to accomplish something by taking atheists to the "right way" (since atheisting is the anti or the opposite of the religion)

someday, i found it funny in myself to - what can i say, "be biased" to a christian man against an atheist in an argument.

i guess this's the same look atheist see religous.

TaraMoon

Although it may be true of other religions with which I am not familiar, It's been my observation that only people of the Abrahamic religions (especially Christianity and Islam) care whether all people are religious. However,I have noticed that the more fervant advocates of Christianity take far more delight in condemning people than in "saving" them. For that reason, although you won't catch them admitting it, I think they'd be disappointed if they didn't have the differently religious, anti-religious, and non-religious to persecute.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Although it may be true of other religions with which I am not familiar, It's been my observation that only people of the Abrahamic religions (especially Christianity and Islam) care whether all people are religious. However,I have noticed that the more fervant advocates of Christianity take far more delight in condemning people than in "saving" them. For that reason, although you won't catch them admitting it, I think they'd be disappointed if they didn't have the differently religious, anti-religious, and non-religious to persecute.

Food for thought.

Christians are commanded by Christ to teach the world. So we try. No one is justified in persecution. But again, please don't lump us all into one group. There are zealots on all sides.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Why would some religious people prefer all people were religious?

Because some people tend to think that without certain religious ideals and morals that people would just go around doing unspeakable horrible things to each other. Like, for their own safety, they would prefer that these "godless" people have certain religious beliefs drilled into them enough that they can suddenly know "right" from "wrong". Like it is impossible to do without religion. :sarcastic

turk179

I smell something....
Because some people tend to think that without certain religious ideals and morals that people would just go around doing unspeakable horrible things to each other. Like, for their own safety, they would prefer that these "godless" people have certain religious beliefs drilled into them enough that they can suddenly know "right" from "wrong". Like it is impossible to do without religion. :sarcastic
And some people think you can't do wrong while being religious.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Simply because the religious feel they have something of tremendous value that has been a great benefit to them. They want to share it. (Most of us are not extremists that push it on everyone.)
IMO if you have something wonderful, offer to share it with others. If others say no, then at least it was offered. But no need to be pushy.
That's it in my opinion too. People generally want to help each other.

BruceDLimber

>Why would some religious people prefer all people were religious?

For some (and I hope many) of us, it's because of beneficence and the desire & hope that others might experience the peace of mind and joy that we experience! :)

Best,

Bruce