• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why your god?

linkcma

I was daydreaming in class one day and a question popped into my mind.

Why do people believe in there god but dismiss other deities? Why do they think they are following the correct higher power?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
One reason could be that they believe in the idea they hold of God. Believing in other people's thoughts is more difficult than believing your own ideas.

tomspug

Absorbant
Also, it helps when the certain religions (Islam, Christianity, Judaism) are not compatible with other religions.

zenzero

Its only a Label
friend linkcma,
God is a concept developed by the mind of people. Mind is the ego which mena s I, ME, etc.
Thats the reson 8MY GOD is better or it is the only god, etc.
Dropping the mind is the only way to nirvana.
Love & rgds

Peace

Quran & Sunnah

Why do people believe in there god but dismiss other deities? Why do they think they are following the correct higher power?

Because the ones who believe in one God are certain that there is no other god beside Him.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
If you assume that by believing in my God it follows that I am dismissing the God(s) of others then you have in my opinion too narrow a view of what it is to believe in God.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I, personally, think all gods and goddesses exist. It's the adherent's belief in what the particular deity wants or demands that differs and causes problems.

There are "good/light" and "bad/dark" deities to represent our different aspects as human beings. Now, how a person views a deity, whether as "good/light" or "bad/dark" depends on the person.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
One reason could be that they believe in the idea they hold of God. Believing in other people's thoughts is more difficult than believing your own ideas.
Agreed, Willy. For the most part, folks do not understand that they are projecting their ideals onto "unknown reality". Rather than be content in the knowledge that there are things they do not know, and that doing so is perfectly ok -- if not desirable -- but rather have a deep seated need to explain that which they do not understand and it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy to think that "unknown reality" cares for and loves them back. "God" IS a compelling idea even if it doesn't tell us much about reality.

Mike182

Flaming Queer

i'm a polytheist, your question doesn't apply to me :cool:

A

angellous_evangellous

Because my God beat up all the other gods and took their milk money.:bow:

cardero

Citizen Mod
This would be a good reason if not for the premise that most people's idea of God is first taught or handed down to them. God is basically someone else's idea or began with another person's relationship with a self-proclaimed Supreme BEing. Though I understand what you are saying, I find it interesting what some people do add to each particular version.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
This would be a good reason if not for the premise that most people's idea of God is first taught or handed down to them. God is basically someone else's idea or began with another person's relationship with a self-proclaimed Supreme BEing. Though I understand what you are saying, I find it interesting what some people do add to each particular version.
I don't know about other people, but that's one of the main reasons I didn't believe in God as a child.