• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winged &Horned Helmets

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Request Archaeology DIR. Not sure if this goes here, but seems sensible enough. Monotheist/Polytheist discussion on Winged and Horned helmets.

Found in Turkey, it's Greek, check out the Eagle Crest.
d14102b1ef08c7f7f0e163ec58cba5e3.jpg

aba86260a8973e50dfb4615341508f89.jpg

Another Greek Helm.
73f373c8df1fd86d98f414d98106de23.jpg

Celtic horned helm
Horned_helmet.jpg

DANISH! Bronze Age - 1300 years before the Viking era.

danish-horned-helmets.jpg

Did Vikings have horns on their helmets? Viking School Visits - A Viking or Anglo Saxon in your classroom

Horse Helmet in Scotland
300px-Museum_of_ScotlandDSCF6355.jpg

Prehistoric art in Scotland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which was the origional Kingdom of God, I believe you would find the Germanic and Greek empires may have created the Judeo beliefs. I find myself believing the Germanic or Greek Empire was the one that liberated the Jews.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Save maybe the Horse one, I doubt any of them would've been used in battle. It's simply too tempting a target for an enterprising combatant to grab. And where the head goes, the body doth follow. Also, it is highly likely that the Germanics(all of them) would use deer antlers as decoration on ritual helms and such. Especially the Shamans & such.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
I don't know for sure, I figured it represented rank and aren't purely ceremonial.

I believe it represented rank as plumes do on other ancient helmets before insignia was designed.

ir80632a.jpg

AH-6211.png

Spartan_233.jpg

Last edited:

HonestJoe

Which was the origional Kingdom of God, I believe you would find the Germanic and Greek empires may have created the Judeo beliefs. I find myself believing the Germanic or Greek Empire was the one that liberated the Jews.
I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious but I don't see what connection you're making between a wide series of ancient ceremonial armour pieces from Europe and the statement you're making here (I'm not even clear what statement you're actually making).

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
As an early attempt at aviation, it does seem rather optimistic. Did any of them ever succeed in achieving flight?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In India, they did not need to. Their mounts could go anywhere (even Ganesha's mouse), and also they were adept at teletransportation (Siddhi: manaḥ-javah - Moving the body wherever thought goes). :)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The Horse's one looks like Loki's from the Marvel Universe!!
Ahem, sorry moving on.
How about some Samurai Helmets (I think they're Samurai) up in here?!
This one is ******. You can tell because the guy has put on the ultimate ****** signal common to all centuries it seems. Flames!! :p

Edo%2Bhelmet.jpg

This one is cool because it looks like the animal is mocking you. The helmet with a pre rendered taunt to the opponent. That is what I call efficiency!
92bd6f3d1c335ee3ad0aac27bb3bd1dd-1.jpg

For the more winterminded, this one comes with a face warmer!!

mask-5.jpg

Disclaimer!!! My comments about Samurai and their headgear are to be taken in jest. Please do not come and kill me with your ancient ****** Samurai ways!!

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
The Horse's one looks like Loki's from the Marvel Universe!!
Ahem, sorry moving on.

No, you're right. Marvel Loki's horned helm is designed like that intentionally, inspired by a piece not dissimilar to the Scottish one. It's actually a bit of a joke, because, well. Who gave birth to Sleipnir?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Thanks, a little research took me to this information:
"The name /SVaÐiL-fari/ may be etymologically identical with the Vaidik god-name /Savitṛ/ < /*SaViTḶ/ (the reconstruction with final /*-tḹ/ is based on Slavic and Hittite agentives in /-tal/). Savitṛ is likened to a "horse" (Laksman Sarup (tr.) : The Nighaṇṭu and the Nirukta."
Svaðilfari - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Thanks, a little research took me to this information:
"The name /SVaÐiL-fari/ may be etymologically identical with the Vaidik god-name /Savitṛ/ < /*SaViTḶ/ (the reconstruction with final /*-tḹ/ is based on Slavic and Hittite agentives in /-tal/). Savitṛ is likened to a "horse" (Laksman Sarup (tr.) : The Nighaṇṭu and the Nirukta."
Svaðilfari - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Errr, I was referring to Loki as (s)he was the one who birthed Sleipnir. Svaðilfari was the father, but Loki the mother. Thus why Loki had "horse horns" in Marvel.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Was not it a hindrance in wars?

The picture above is from the Lord of the Rings movies, artistic license. I doubt anyone actually ever wore those. Those were sentries of the citadel. If someone didn't already mention it, horned helmets in battle could have been a hazard to one's comrades when fighting or sailing in crowded ships.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
No, you're right. Marvel Loki's horned helm is designed like that intentionally, inspired by a piece not dissimilar to the Scottish one. It's actually a bit of a joke, because, well. Who gave birth to Sleipnir?

Oh that's a cool little nod!

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
The picture above is from the Lord of the Rings movies, artistic license. I doubt anyone actually ever wore those. Those were sentries of the citadel. If someone didn't already mention it, horned helmets in battle could have been a hazard to one's comrades when fighting or sailing in crowded ships.
Yeah. Horned/Winged helms are only really used for ceremony & pure aesthetics. Very rarely do you see stuff like that used in battle, though a notable example would be the Polish Winged Hussars. Not exactly a horned helmet, but it's pretty damn form-over-function.