• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

winter solstice lunar eclipse

0zyzzyz0

Murphy's Law is the TOE.
A few nights ago I watched something wonderous and well worth taking the time to watch. No, it wasn't "It's a Wonderful Life", although even as an atheist and sometimes provacateur ignostic I do think that Capra classic is well worth watching - especially with a good rum and egg nog and some good company.

I got up in the middle of the night to have a chance to watch a full lunar eclipse happening on the night of the winter solstice. It was a pretty danged awesome and wonderous thing to behold. Just me and my dog, doG, sat outside in the cold for more than an hour marvelling at this magical event.

What do we make of such experiences. We've all experienced some amazing "magical" moments. Beyond just looking at such moments from cold, analytical, science based explanatory perspectives, how else can we see these events and ourselves in relation to them?

We're all in this together.

:candle:
Merry Christmas to the Christians out there
... and peace and good will to all.
:icon_smil

Gloone

The solstice can be really magical and marks a special time of year for a lot of people. I stayed up to watch it and forgot about it. My brother seen it though and told me there will be another eclipse in 2011. This next eclipse will be lunar and fall during the Summer Solstice. The Summer Solstice Lunar Eclipse. They don't call it the summer solstice lunar eclipse, but that is when the next one will be.

0zyzzyz0

Murphy's Law is the TOE.
Thanks for the tip.

That was the first lunar eclipse i've seen. I only managed to be up for it because it was a cold night and the fire needed some attention.

Catching the one in summer would be another real treat, but hopefully not as cool. Watching this one was actually damned cool and even though I wanted to watch the whole display i got tired of sitting out in the cold when there was a warm bed inside calling out to me. Now though, i can look forward to sitting out with a beer on a nice summer night.