• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wode

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Alternative (IMO clearer) spelling of wood.

From Online Etymology Dictionary:
wood (adj.)
"violently insane" (now obsolete), from Old English wod "mad, frenzied," from Proto-Germanic *woda- (cognates: Gothic woþs "possessed, mad," Old High German wuot "mad, madness," German wut "rage, fury"), from PIE *wet- (1) "to blow; inspire, spiritually arouse;" source of Latin vates "seer, poet," Old Irish faith "poet;" "with a common element of mental excitement" [Buck]. Compare Old English woþ "sound, melody, song," Old Norse oðr "poetry," and the god-name Odin.

Conceptually I regard this as a word that collectively encompasses the concepts of inspiration, ecstasy, insanity, rage, madness, etc., without being a substitute for any one of these concepts individually.

It is the trance-state that Berserkers would have entered in during battle. The website "Norse Mythology for Smart People" quotes the Yngling Saga:

Odin’s men [berserkers and úlfheðnar] went armor-less into battle and were as crazed as dogs or wolves and as strong as bears or bulls. They bit their shields and slew men, while they themselves were harmed by neither fire nor iron. This is called “going berserk.”[7]

The Wikipedia article on Berserker lists this definition for a modern context (caveat: this paragraph has no citation):

"Going berserk" in this context [of the Vietnam War] refers to a state induced by adrenaline (or military-issued amphetamine for long missions) in the human body and brain leading a soldier to fight with fearless rage and indifference, a state strikingly similar to that of the 9th century berserkers.

The state of Wode, then, can be a reference to a state in which a person has extremely high levels of adrenaline.

But Wode need not necessarily involve "going berserk". Woden, after all, is as much a God of Poetry and Wisdom, as War and Ecstasy. It might also be present in those who are hyper-focused in a given task, whether short-term (working for hours, perhaps days, almost non-stop on a single project), or long-term (single-minded devotion to a goal). Wode is found in soldiers, scientists, academics, and artists who are devoted to their duties at levels that others would deem unhealthy.

I bring all this up because I hope this word can be reintroduced to Modern English, at least in the Heathen community. It serves as a beautiful term for something we don't really have a modern equivalent for.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Mmm, pet peeve of mine but; It isn't "berserk" it's "The Berserk". It's a state of mind, almost a title. A certain type of battle-frenzy that likely involved a lot of mushroom-brewed mead. Given how it's described, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have an effect similar to PCP/Angel Dust.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Mmm, pet peeve of mine but; It isn't "berserk" it's "The Berserk". It's a state of mind, almost a title. A certain type of battle-frenzy that likely involved a lot of mushroom-brewed mead. Given how it's described, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have an effect similar to PCP/Angel Dust.

Hey, express any pet-peeves away. Even if reintroduction into common vernacular means almost certain shifts in meanings over the years, I'd like the starting points to at least be accurate. ^_^

But your expression does make sense; literally translated it does mean "bear-shirt", and saying someone is "bear-shirt" doesn't make grammatical sense; "The Bear-shirt" does.

Looncall

Hey, express any pet-peeves away. Even if reintroduction into common vernacular means almost certain shifts in meanings over the years, I'd like the starting points to at least be accurate. ^_^

But your expression does make sense; literally translated it does mean "bear-shirt", and saying someone is "bear-shirt" doesn't make grammatical sense; "The Bear-shirt" does.

Is it "bear shirt" or "bare shirt"? I have had the impression that it meant without armour: serk from sark (shirt)..

I recommend the book "Hrolf Kraki's Saga" by Poul Anderson. Berserkers are described. It's a wonderfully strange story.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Is it "bear shirt" or "bare shirt"? I have had the impression that it meant without armour: serk from sark (shirt)..

It's "bear". They were literally clad in bear-hides. There was also another type of warrior-shaman in the Old Times, which was basically the same thing, but wolves instead of bears.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Bear-shirt. It's related to the notion that by assuming somethings' clothes or face(mask-form or otherwise) allows you to 'become' that thing. The Berserk thus, means you are emulating and 'becoming' the Bear, which to most of Europe of the era was the most terrifying, powerful creature that walked on land.