• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Workers' Rights in the US: The Worst in the Developed World

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
In another thread, the subjects of poor work ethic and minimum wages came up, among other points of discussion. In this thread, I'm focusing on workers' rights in the US, which are reportedly the worst in the developed world:

(Bloomberg) -- The U.S. has the worst record among major developed countries when it comes to workers’ rights, according to a survey of labor unions.

The world’s largest economy is ranked a 4 in a scale by the International Trade Union Congress, meaning there are “systematic violations of rights.” Every other Group of Seven country ranks 3 or better.

Globally, the ITUC said the situation has worsened for workers, with violations of rights at a seven-year high. The worst region is the Middle East and North Africa, and the organization noted a number of countries have impeded the registration of unions, as well as banned strikes and collective bargaining.

U.S. Ranked Worst for Workers’ Rights Among Major Economies - BNN Bloomberg

The US also has a poor score compared to most of the developed world per this index:

Labour Rights Index

In your opinion, is the situation of workers' rights in the US conducive to a good work ethic, loyalty to the employing companies, and taking pride in one's job, or are these traits dependent on the employee regardless (or almost regardless) of the situation of labor rights? Also, do you believe the above indices are an accurate representation of workers' rights in the US or not?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In another thread, the subjects of poor work ethic and minimum wages came up, among other points of discussion. In this thread, I'm focusing on workers' rights in the US, which are reportedly the worst in the developed world:

The US also has a poor score compared to most of the developed world per this index:

Labour Rights Index

In your opinion, is the situation of workers' rights in the US conducive to a good work ethic, loyalty to the employing companies, and taking pride in one's job, or are these traits dependent on the employee regardless (or almost regardless) of the situation of labor rights? Also, do you believe the above indices are an accurate representation of workers' rights in the US or not?
In practical terms, the labour situation in the US is often shocking to me.

That being said, I'm recognizing more and more that there are ways in which Canadian labour laws fall short of even what they have in the US (e.g. "at-will" employment for all non-unionized workers, no right to strike during the term of a collective agreement).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
One overall point is about hypocrisy. When I was told that I was valued but the actions of the company sent the message that what I did and who I was lacked real value to the company, I was not happy.

onducive to a good work ethic,

https://www.reddit.com/r/MaliciousCompliance/ shows one thing that treating employees like dirt can engender.

loyalty to the employing companies

Lack of loyalty to employees causes lack of loyalty to the company.

In some situations I had loyalty to a boss who did their best for us but not to the company. So it can be complicated.

taking pride in one's job,

Malicious compliance again for some. Personally I always tried to do a good job because that's the way I am - I would not feel good about myself otherwise. But for many - no.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's the result of the right successfully manipulating and deceiving dopes into voting against their own interests at their own expense.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Just one aa

Labour Rights Index

Just one area among others where we lag behind the other developed nations. Go, us...

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Just one aa

Labour Rights Index

Just one area among others where we lag behind the other developed nations. Go, us...

We Never Know

No Slack

Labour Rights Index

The "why"...

Why has the US ranked as one of the worst countries for workers’ rights?

Paid Vacations
According to the Center for Economic and Policy Research, the United States is the only developed nation in the world that does not guarantee paid vacations to its workforce. In comparison, Europaen workers are legally mandated to get 20 paid vacation days, and some even get 30 days off from work to enjoy their paid holidays with family and friends.

Universal Healthcare
As reported by The Commonwealth Fund, the U.S. is the only major economy and advanced country in the world that does not have a universal healthcare system in place for its citizens and workforce. Because of this lack of uniformity and access, the average American spends twice as much on healthcare as compared to their counterparts in other developed countries. Apart from this, the U.S. also has the highest number of hospitalizations and deaths from disease that are considered to be easily preventable. Compared to the other major economies in the world, the United States’ healthcare system ranks as the worst and gives minimum to no coverage to its working class.

Severance Pay
When the pandemic struck America and millions of its citizens were laid off from their workplaces, people realized the flaw in the system and how there were no checks and balances with regard to an ability to financially support workers who were fired without notice. In Denmark, by contrast, ex-employees are paid 90% of their wages for up to 104 weeks if they have been laid off work without notice or on very short notice. In the U.S., there is no federal (or even state) requirement for severance pay. However, under the current circumstances with COVID-19 and the policies of the current administration, American workers who were earning below a certain level are receiving unemployment insurance payments to tide them over until they are able to go back to work.

Although labor and employment protection history in America has been spotty at best, there are several efforts currently underway to recognize the gaps in the system and account for workers’ welfare during tough economic periods by designing and implementing policies that are much more generous than in the past.

The U.S. and Poor Workers Rights | Global People Strategist

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In my opinion most of the problem is that starting a business is hard and requires ridiculous credentials or expensive certifications. To cut hair you must have several years in school. To sell hot dogs on the street you must bid against other vendors for the right to do so. Side hustles are about to be taxed, too. Any account which takes in $600 or less is automatically reported (by banks and other institutions) directly to the IRS. We're fighting a losing battle, and we really need our employers -- a lot.

pearl

Unfortunately, here in the US businesses are driven by productivity and paying the least for labor. Labor is not considered an asset but a liability.
It is only through the labor unions that give labor a fair chance.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The "why"...

Why has the US ranked as one of the worst countries for workers’ rights?

Paid Vacations
According to the Center for Economic and Policy Research, the United States is the only developed nation in the world that does not guarantee paid vacations to its workforce. In comparison, Europaen workers are legally mandated to get 20 paid vacation days, and some even get 30 days off from work to enjoy their paid holidays with family and friends.

Universal Healthcare
As reported by The Commonwealth Fund, the U.S. is the only major economy and advanced country in the world that does not have a universal healthcare system in place for its citizens and workforce. Because of this lack of uniformity and access, the average American spends twice as much on healthcare as compared to their counterparts in other developed countries. Apart from this, the U.S. also has the highest number of hospitalizations and deaths from disease that are considered to be easily preventable. Compared to the other major economies in the world, the United States’ healthcare system ranks as the worst and gives minimum to no coverage to its working class.

Severance Pay
When the pandemic struck America and millions of its citizens were laid off from their workplaces, people realized the flaw in the system and how there were no checks and balances with regard to an ability to financially support workers who were fired without notice. In Denmark, by contrast, ex-employees are paid 90% of their wages for up to 104 weeks if they have been laid off work without notice or on very short notice. In the U.S., there is no federal (or even state) requirement for severance pay. However, under the current circumstances with COVID-19 and the policies of the current administration, American workers who were earning below a certain level are receiving unemployment insurance payments to tide them over until they are able to go back to work.

Although labor and employment protection history in America has been spotty at best, there are several efforts currently underway to recognize the gaps in the system and account for workers’ welfare during tough economic periods by designing and implementing policies that are much more generous than in the past.

The U.S. and Poor Workers Rights | Global People Strategist

To be completely honest, it always baffles me that folks continue to argue that I pay more taxes than them (since I live in Australia) as if all those costs you just listed exists where I live as well.
And as though that somehow means that my country is making me pay through the nose for these benefits
And it’s like umm no, even a part time first job guarantees me a legally mandated minimum amount of paid vacation (called annual leave here,) personal leave and sick leave and on top of that I spend less on my healthcare than the average American. Bankruptcy due to medical costs in the modern world is found in America and virtually in no other developed country
All of this is in exchange for slightly higher taxes. Oh the horror????

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
In some situations I had loyalty to a boss who did their best for us but not to the company. So it can be complicated.
I've been there, at my first job. Even all these years later I still consider her the best manager I've worked under. The company never got me promised raises and even tried to get out of paying workman's comp, but the one manager was awesome.
Nothing at all like the manager I often mention who lied and cheated and screwed us around and his own personal crew of elites ended up walking all over him, disrespecting him every chance we got and usurping his authority over us.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
To be completely honest, it always baffles me that folks continue to argue that I pay more taxes than them (since I live in Australia) as if all those costs you just listed exists where I live as well.
And as though that somehow means that my country is making me pay through the nose for these benefits
And it’s like umm no, even a part time first job guarantees me a legally mandated minimum amount of paid vacation (called annual leave here,) personal leave and sick leave and on top of that I spend less on my healthcare than the average American. Bankruptcy due to medical costs in the modern world is found in America and virtually in no other developed country
All of this is in exchange for slightly higher taxes. Oh the horror????
It's because these good Christian folk who are instructed to render unto Ceasar that which belongs to Ceasar have somehow got in their mind that taxes are immoral and a form of theft.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Labour Rights Index

The link doesn't make sense.
China & India are not major economies?
They rank below USA.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The middle class here in the States was largely created by the action of unions, and it seems that all too many Americans have forgotten this.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The link doesn't make sense.
China & India are not major economies?
They rank below USA.

GDP per capita might be why, but I'm purely speculating here. I could be wrong.

Let's consider them major economies. The US is still ranked below all other developed countries in this aspect. China and India aren't exactly doing well when it comes to overall quality of life right now.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
GDP per capita might be why, but I'm purely speculating here. I could be wrong.

Let's consider them major economies. The US is still ranked below all other developed countries in this aspect. China and India aren't exactly doing well when it comes to overall quality of life right now.
The article claims "major economies" in the title,
& "developed countries" in the article. To exclude
China (2nd largest economy in the world), & Russia
(largest developed country in the world) strikes me
as an ad hoc way of making USA worst.

Another questionable aspect of the source is that
it's a survey of labor unions. Perhaps they consider
a right, could be either irrelevant (eg, minimum wage
in a country that typically pays above it in the market),
& what others might consider merely a benefit, eg,
lengthy paid leave for various things.

"Worst in the developed world" has quite the ring
to it, & perhaps criteria were skewed toward that end.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Labour Rights Index

I doubt we are the worst in the world.