• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worldwide church of God

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
What happened to this group?
"Eventually, the WCG changed its name in 2009 to Grace Communion International (GCI). Today, the official doctrinal position of GCI is mainstream evangelical, although there are still GCI ministers and members who do not fully embrace all of the changes."

It should be noted that many of the people who embraced the British Israelism of Armstrong's group have found a new home in the Hebrew Roots movement, a group that superficially looks like Messianic Judaism, but in fact differs significantly in that it preaches One Law theology and many of its followers believe things like that their affinity for Jewish stuff proves they are descended from the 10 tribes.

Anttjuan

Wondering also. I think their teachings on the gospel and the meaning of life are very scripturally sound but VERY unpopular among the majority of professing Christians. I was not born yet when that group dissolved but I find myself aligned with that church’s teachings the most.

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
What happened to this group?
I started reading all the numerous material published by the Worldwide Church of God and visited a few times… years ago. Thankfully, I was saved by Jesus and realized this was an Israel replacement cult, pseudo-Christian group. I remember listening to and reading about the process they went through after Herbert Armstrong died. Some did go more mainstream evangelical, but others splintered off keeping Armstrong’s teach.

“After the death of Hebert W. Armstrong, the Worldwide Church of God began to embrace a more orthodox understanding of the Christian faith. Armstrong’s successors, Joseph Tkach, Sr., and Joseph Tkach, Jr., have led the Worldwide Church of God in a more orthodox direction, rejecting British Israelism, accepting the Trinity, etc. The organization/denomination now refers to itself as Grace Communion International. A brief history of the transition from Armstrongism to Grace Communion can be found at www.gci.org/aboutus/history. Although Grace Communion has come a long way toward biblical doctrine, there are still some serious errors in their theology, such as the teaching that God gives “opportunity for unbelievers to become believers, even dead unbelievers” (from “God: Predestination: Does God Choose Your Fate?” on their official website).

Not every Worldwide Church of God congregation became a part of Grace Communion International. Those who chose to remain more faithful to Armstrong's teachings formed the United Church of God (UCG). In 2010, another group, the Church of God, a Worldwide Association (COGWA), split off from the UCG. Both groups retain Armstrong's original denial of the Trinity.”

Riders

I started reading all the numerous material published by the Worldwide Church of God and visited a few times… years ago. Thankfully, I was saved by Jesus and realized this was an Israel replacement cult, pseudo-Christian group. I remember listening to and reading about the process they went through after Herbert Armstrong died. Some did go more mainstream evangelical, but others splintered off keeping Armstrong’s teach.

“After the death of Hebert W. Armstrong, the Worldwide Church of God began to embrace a more orthodox understanding of the Christian faith. Armstrong’s successors, Joseph Tkach, Sr., and Joseph Tkach, Jr., have led the Worldwide Church of God in a more orthodox direction, rejecting British Israelism, accepting the Trinity, etc. The organization/denomination now refers to itself as Grace Communion International. A brief history of the transition from Armstrongism to Grace Communion can be found at www.gci.org/aboutus/history. Although Grace Communion has come a long way toward biblical doctrine, there are still some serious errors in their theology, such as the teaching that God gives “opportunity for unbelievers to become believers, even dead unbelievers” (from “God: Predestination: Does God Choose Your Fate?” on their official website).

Not every Worldwide Church of God congregation became a part of Grace Communion International. Those who chose to remain more faithful to Armstrong's teachings formed the United Church of God (UCG). In 2010, another group, the Church of God, a Worldwide Association (COGWA), split off from the UCG. Both groups retain Armstrong's original denial of the Trinity.”

Thankyou for the update.

IndigoChild5559

Wondering also. I think their teachings on the gospel and the meaning of life are very scripturally sound but VERY unpopular among the majority of professing Christians. I was not born yet when that group dissolved but I find myself aligned with that church’s teachings the most.
Are you referring to the WCG the way it used to teach, or the way it teaches today with all the changes as Grace Communion International (GCI)?

Also, can you give maybe one or two examples of their teachings that are "VERY unpopular among the majority of professing Christians" ?

Do you embrace British Israelism? Do you think for some reason you are descended from the 12 tribes of Israel?

IndigoChild5559

realized this was an Israel replacement cult,
You got that right.
Those who chose to remain more faithful to Armstrong's teachings formed the United Church of God (UCG).
"The United Church of God teaches that only groups similar to their own comprise the true church and that all other “churches” are satanic counterfeits."

The idea that everyone else except our group is "satanic" is the hallmark of an extremely toxic group.
In 2010, another group, the Church of God, a Worldwide Association (COGWA), split off from the UCG. Both groups retain Armstrong's original denial of the Trinity.”
Although Trinitarianism is the conventional teaching of most Christian groups, there are Christian churches that do not embrace Trinitarianism. Oneness Pentecostals such as the United Pentecostal Church come to mind.

No body is saved until the day of Judgement which is very close. Are time here is a trial to all humans for God to see who can with stand temptations, evil, hate. Those who seek God and repent and obey God and show God that he is the only one to follow will be the ones to receive the new kingdom. John 5: 28, 29