• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you die for your beliefs?

Would you be willing to die for your beliefs?

• Total voters

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I am talking about whatever it is that is most important to you. Your religion, you lack of religion. Your politics, whatever. If you were threatened with death if you refused to renounce your beliefs, what would you do? Would you die? or would you submit?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
A lot of that decision would depend on how much of a hope of overcoming that oppression I had, I think.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
A lot of that decision would depend on how much of a hope of overcoming that oppression I had, I think.
And that is part of the question. Historically people have had success in overcoming oppression by being willing to die for their beliefs. Are your beliefs worth the sacrifice? Are your beliefs worth the risk?

outhouse

Atheistically
I am talking about whatever it is that is most important to you. Your religion, you lack of religion. Your politics, whatever. If you were threatened with death if you refused to renounce your beliefs, what would you do? Would you die? or would you submit?

Should be a third option, "cannot decide"

I thought about saying I would do some fancy acting, and submit, but Im not the type to submit

I wont die over it.

Levite

Higher and Higher

I hope I would have the strength to die for my beliefs. If I couldn't, I would submit in word, keeping my beliefs in my heart, and as soon as I could effect escape from my persecutors, I would abjure my false submission and return to my beliefs publicly.

pro4life

It really depends on the individual.

1.For some people, they may consider their belief it is really true and there is no falsifications.
2.Other people that have doubt in their belief but they really consider their belief the best way to go.
3.Some people that have a belief to have no belief and have strong feeling about it.

Number 1 is most likely to die for his beliefs because he or she does not consider anything else is plausible in their own sense.
Number 2 will sway a little and might choose to live otherwise.
Number 3- I don't about this person. The question is why is he fighting for this belief in the first place, this is ornery at its best and doesn't make sense.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It really depends on the individual.

1.For some people, they may consider their belief it is really true and there is no falsifications.
2.Other people that have doubt in their belief but they really consider their belief the best way to go.
3.Some people that have a belief to have no belief and have strong feeling about it.

Number 1 is most likely to die for his beliefs because he or she does not consider anything else is plausible in their own sense.
Number 2 will sway a little and might choose to live otherwise.
Number 3- I don't about this person. The question is why is he fighting for this belief in the first place, this is ornery at its best and doesn't make sense.

Beliefs worth dying for usually are not of the variety that one bets to be "true". They are rather of the variety that is worth making true.

Only a fool would die to show that he believes in, say, gravity or electromagnetism.

pro4life

Beliefs worth dying for usually are not of the variety that one bets to be "true". They are rather of the variety that is worth making true.

Only a fool would die to show that he believes in, say, gravity or electromagnetism.

So an athiest would be a fool if he died for his belief.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

But if the truth was being suppressed, I might be willing to die to fight the suppression of the truth. People died for the Copernican model of the solar system.