• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you let a homeless person into your house in freezing weather?

CMike

I recently started a thread about a dog I let into my house in freezing weather.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/3621596-post1.html

What would you do if there is a homeless person knocking on your door in freezing weather wanting shelter?

That's a tougher one in my opinion because you don't know what his real intentions are.

A dog is easier to figure out.

Opinions?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I might. I have a teenage son so it would not be wise to let in a stranger. If there were no children in my house and my bedroom could be locked, I might let a stranger in. But before I let the stranger spend the night I would assess the situation carefully. I would be sure he or she had no lethal weapon.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I would and I have let homeless folks couch surf. But I've never had a stranger just knock on my door, so I don't know. I always have known them, for at least a few minutes, before I've invited them over.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
For those in our community who are elderly, disabled or have children, we could call Adult Protective Services in dire situations to expedite services that would be of greater, long term benefit for the individual or family. It would be very odd for us to come across someone who is homeless in our neighborhood (and as such, we would naturally, be more cautious).

Short answer, we wouldn't allow anyone to die in the cold. But, we wouldn't take a stranger into our home, as the safety of our children is paramount. We could provide support through other, meaningful ways, without jeopardizing our own safety. In example, we may not allow the person to stay with us, but, we might help them get to a hotel and ensure that they have food and clothing.

CMike

I might. I have a teenage son so it would not be wise to let in a stranger. If there were no children in my house and my bedroom could be locked, I might let a stranger in. But before I let the stranger spend the night I would assess the situation carefully. I would be sure he or she had no lethal weapon.
How would you do that?

CMike

For those in our community who are elderly, disabled or have children, we could call Adult Protective Services in dire situations to expedite services that would be of greater, long term benefit for the individual or family. It would be very odd for us to come across someone who is homeless in our neighborhood (and as such, we would naturally, be more cautious).

Short answer, we wouldn't allow anyone to die in the cold. But, we wouldn't take a stranger into our home, as the safety of our children is paramount. We could provide support through other, meaningful ways, without jeopardizing our own safety. In example, we may not allow the person to stay with us, but, we might help them get to a hotel and ensure that they have food and clothing.
He's outside your door knocking.

And you do what next?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

And you do what next?

I call for my husband, we answer the door. If the person discloses that they are homeless and have nowhere to go, we will provide warm drinks and a blanket while we discuss the situation on the front porch.

We can make phone calls from the porch. If we can align support for the individual (that will yield a longer term solution for their homelessness), we will direct them to that resource. If we need to assist in transporting the person to that resource, we will do what we can in the way that is most safe for all involved.

Be mindful, I work with clients in emergency type situations. I'm not really worried as to whether or not I'd be able to direct this person to help. He/she isn't going to die on my front porch. In a dire situation, we would provide means for shelter, food and clothing.

But, I don't have to allow them into my house if I didn't feel comfortable and safe, particularly when the homelessness situation will still exist in the morning and I can't fix that. They have to be ready to tackle that on their own with the appropriate systems of support.

Again, it would be highly suspect for something like this to occur in my neighborhood.

Last edited:

Sees

Dragonslayer
I call for my husband, we answer the door. If the person discloses that they are homeless and have nowhere to go, we will provide warm drinks and a blanket while we discuss the situation on the front porch.

We can make phone calls from the porch. If we can align support for the individual (that will yield a longer term solution for their homelessness), we will direct them to that resource. If we need to assist in transporting the person to that resource, we will do what we can in the way that is most safe for all involved.

Be mindful, I work with clients in emergency type situations. I'm not really worried as to whether or not I'd be able to direct this person to help. He/she isn't going to die on my front porch. In a dire situation, we would provide means for shelter, food and clothing.

But, I don't have to allow them into my house if I didn't feel comfortable and safe, particularly when the homelessness situation will still exist in the morning and I can't fix that. They have to be ready to tackle that on their own with the appropriate systems of support.

Again, it would be highly suspect for something like this to occur in my neighborhood.

Similar here.

-----

Separately, my wife and kids matter much more to me than a homeless person. Family and friends come before all others when there is a decision to make. A lot of people will feel a shock to hear/think it, but still majority live this way in reality and deep down feel the same. I feel sorrow that modern society, family structures, mental illness, etc. could have caused the situation...but I'm not going to risk valuable so and so to fix it. If I was single and wealthy it would be a different story.

Most now is maybe let the guy/gal sleep in the minivan if really bad out and no help on the way....bowl of chili or soup too.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I would try every resource at my disposable to find a way and a place for that person to be warm, fed, and safe for the night, short of him staying inside of my house. I couldn't take such wild, totally uncalculated risk in regards to myself or to family members.

If i had such settings that allow for the person to stay somewhere around the house for the night, but not directly inside of the house, like a garage for example, i might set it up and ensure there'd be no easier way for him/her to get inside the house, any differently than it would be if they were someone standing on the street wanting to come in.

I would love it if things were simpler and i didn't have to worry about extreme scenarios, but the possibility exists and it is not by any means a small one, that something terrible might happen here and that i would've endangered people i care about, as well as myself.

Alceste

Vagabond
I have put up a homeless guy before, for about a week. Wasn't even cold. I had more space then, though. I couldn't do it now because it's kind of a small studio space we live in. There's nowhere to put visitors.

I've also given a homeless guy enough to cover a bed in one of those super-cheap slummy hotels homeless people use when they can. So I suppose I would drive him back downtown to one of those things and check him in.

It doesn't get deadly cold here though. I help who I can, when I can, but nobody is knocking on doors.

A dog is easier to control than a person, hence my lack of hesitation for taking in a stray in cold weather. Not quite as weird as sharing your bed with a homeless person.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My neighborhood is suburban; this would be highly unusual and I'd be far more likely to suspect it's something different than what it appears rather than to take it at face value.

We have shelters for this reason. There's one a few miles from here.

I'd be willing to call a taxi for them, even pay for their ride if they require it, in order to quickly get them to the shelter and out of the freezing cold. They can probably wait the few minutes it would take for a taxi to arrive, and I'd be willing to give snacks or hot tea or a blanket in the meantime.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Realistically, if a stranger knocked on my door and asked "Can I stay here" I'd figure they had a few problems with the way they interpret reality, "unrealistic expectations" being at the top of the list. That said, I'd be even less apt to trust them then I would most people who I didn't know.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I already have in the past. I had a roommate who expected me to pay for groceries and his share of the rent. When the second rent payment was approaching I terminated my grace period as I understood that we must have a misunderstanding about what he meant by job hunting, so I kicked him out. I would call him a bum though, rather than a homeless.
As for the actual scenario as presented in the OP, it's not very likely to happen here, but if I saw a person standing outside and freezing, asking for shelter I would most likely let them in and start boiling water for coffee.
When I used to live in London I used to give a helping nod to the homeless by giving them cloths, food, a warm drink or the occasional loose change. Some of them already became acquaintances when I was visiting several parts of town.
In addition I used to give short term lodging to people of my age range for a short time when they were stuck, normally with hardly knowing them personally.

CMike

I may let him in but I would have a gun in my hand and perhaps pointed at him.

Many people unfortunately do use such a pretense to rob a home.

However, I can't let someone freeze and die outside.

The sad thing is I would trust bringing in a dog before I trust bringing in a person.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I let a woman and her children in my apartment before when it was freezing out and my friend from city hall called me. We did not know them but they were in need. The kids had a bath and splashed the water so bad I got a call from the landlord. Well, I said sorry and I asked him if he would have left them in the cold to freeze. He didn't answer.

Another time I picked up a hitchhiker because it was so cold out. I watched him very carefully. If I had had the children with me I would not done it. But the advantage for me was he kept me wide awake for my diligent watching him as usually I get so sleepy it is hard to drive.

DeepShadow

White Crow

And you do what next?

Go out and talk to him. Pray a quick, silent prayer while I talk to him, and listen to what God directed me to do.

If God wasn't giving me any clear direction after the prayer, I'd be cautious, and try to get them help without letting them in. I have three small children, and I have to keep them safe.

But I'd be listening for the Spirit to quiet my fears and tell me I can let him in.