• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writings of Martin Luther

robtex

Veteran Member
Good addition Deut. Luther was certainly a man of intolerable hate and his absolute blind hatred for the Jews seems to have been shuffled under the rug by modern day lutherns. I equate that fellas thought on the Jews to modern televanglists thoughts on homosexuality. Both unacceptable.

David

We all have our problems, but it was Martin Luther who revealed the doctrine of justification by an imputed righteousness in such a way that it transformed my thinking and gave my whole religious experience a boost. He said something like this: "A man can with confidence BOAST IN CHRIST and say MINE. Mine are Christ's, mine as much as if I had lived and suffered and died as he did."

We are all made of clay. Luther was a bull headed guy, but he was the man of the hour for God. Keep this in mind. We are all made of clay.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
robtex said:
Luther was certainly a man of intolerable hate and his absolute blind hatred for the Jews seems to have been shuffled under the rug by modern day lutherns. I equate that fellas thought on the Jews to modern televanglists thoughts on homosexuality. Both unacceptable.
Unacceptable, yes. However, it would be too easy just to write Luther off completely. He was a complicated man, and as capable of great loving tenderness towards the poor as he was of blind bigotry towards the Jews. Not to mention that he had some very valid complaints about the Catholic church at the time, which started the avalanche of "protest" against the absolute religious authority of Church and tradition. The idea that we can actually think for ourselves when it comes to religion comes largely from Luther. His "Doctrine of the Priesthood of All Believers" is the basis for the Congregationalism from which we are descended. Like him or not, Martin Luther is a large part of our UU heritage.