• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yemeni child bride dies after internal bleeding on marriage night

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Child bride in Yemen dies of internal bleeding on wedding night: activist

Religion of peace. Religion of science. These are epithets we hear about Islam from Muslims all the time. And then we see stories like this, which make us realize that these aren't the case. And it's not just science which says something like this is just ignorant. Common sense does too.

So why do Muslims practice this? Do they not know that a child's body is not mature enough to handle this? Nor are their minds developed enough for this. It's just plain ignorant to think that a child is ready for marriage, and all the things that go along with it. Do Muslims not know that science has already determined that things like this are a bad idea?

FranklinMichaelV.3

Child bride in Yemen dies of internal bleeding on wedding night: activist

Religion of peace. Religion of science. These are epithets we hear about Islam from Muslims all the time. And then we see stories like this, which make us realize that these aren't the case. And it's not just science which says something like this is just ignorant. Common sense does too.

So why do Muslims practice this? Do they not know that a child's body is not mature enough to handle this? Nor are their minds developed enough for this. It's just plain ignorant to think that a child is ready for marriage, and all the things that go along with it. Do Muslims not know that science has already determined that things like this are a bad idea?

Well not all Muslims practice this I don't think. It seems to be one of those situations in life (given the state that Yemen is in economically), where some of the rich use it as a way to fulfill their own lustful behaviors and subjugate the poor.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Well not all Muslims practice this I don't think. It seems to be one of those situations in life (given the state that Yemen is in economically), where some of the rich use it as a way to fulfill their own lustful behaviors and subjugate the poor.

You're right that not all Muslims practice this. But you're wrong that it's only among the rich that it happens. It's a common practice in Muslim lands, and happens all the time.

FranklinMichaelV.3

You're right that not all Muslims practice this. But you're wrong that it's only among the rich that it happens. It's a common practice in Muslim lands, and happens all the time.

I said it seems, and when it is practiced in the Muslim Lands, are the men who marry these younger women not usually of higher economic standing?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I have an 8 year old cousin. She just started 3rd grade. I can't imagine something like this happening to her. The kid still has trouble keeping her shoes tied, for heaven's sake.

This is one of those things that's hard to separate the religious from the cultural effects. Both feed into each other. If Islam wants to separate itself from such practices, however, it certainly has the power to do so. Make it a sin, make a fatwa against it, or whatever it is that they do. Islam is a religion with a very tight control over their adherents. If child brides and the rape of little girls is something that Muslims want to end in their culture, then let's see some serious action towards that goal.

Until then, yes, the religion is certainly part of the cause for these atrocities.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I said it seems, and when it is practiced in the Muslim Lands, are the men who marry these younger women not usually of higher economic standing?

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure I've seen stories of it happening among all classes. However, the dowry may be higher on younger brides than older ones, so you may have a point.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Uch, sick sick and truly heinous.

But I have to question how prevalent something like this really is in Islamic societies. I am acquainted or friendly with a number of Muslims, including a couple of imams, and I cannot imagine any of them condoning any kind of rape, much less selling off a child to be raped to death.

Aquitaine

Uch, sick sick and truly heinous.

But I have to question how prevalent something like this really is in Islamic societies. I am acquainted or friendly with a number of Muslims, including a couple of imams, and I cannot imagine any of them condoning any kind of rape, much less selling off a child to be raped to death.

I suppose it also depends on the total development (economic, educational etc) of a society. To my knowledge, Yemen is a very poor nation.

Poverty, suffering and religion in the same society? Then stuff like this is simply bound to happen, in my opinion.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
It is more of a cultural practice instead of a religious practice. To condemn a religion based on a cultural practice is not logical. One can find this same practice in parts of Southeast Asia, Africa, South America, Europe, and North America.

It really is a remnant of a time passed when women were married off at an early age so that they could have as many years of birthing as possible. It also sometimes had to do with economic purposes.

Galen.Iksnudnard

Actually it's both a religious AND a cultural practice. It was common in the Arab culture at the time, and Muhammad's marriage to Aisha just legitimized it and sanctioned it within Islam.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Not all Muslims do. What I'm trying to find out, is why those who do, do it at all.

Because some religious have the power, that's why.

Sometimes there's a law about it in some countries, but it's not always applied.
And there's some people who ask for dispensations.

I don't know for all the muslim countries, but in north africa (morroco, algeria, tunisia, egypt) the minimum is 18 years for the girls.

I've heard that some religious don't want a minimum age and other just want to reduce the age (most of time to 16 years old).

Anyway, the problem is that some religious (some not all) don't want a minimum age.

You know that Yemen is a poor country, it's even in your link :

Many poor families in Yemen marry off young daughters to save on the costs of bringing up a child and earn extra money from the dowry given to the girl.

A U.N. report released in January revealed the extent of the country's poverty, saying that 10.5 million of Yemen's 24 million people lacked sufficient food supplies, and 13 million had no access to safe water and basic sanitation.

logical7

Actually it's both a religious AND a cultural practice. It was common in the Arab culture at the time, and Muhammad's marriage to Aisha just legitimized it and sanctioned it within Islam.

Its a cultural practice. According to Islam a girl is eligible to be married when she reaches puberty but it cannot be less that 9yrs of age even if she gets periods before that(precocious puberty).
This was done everywhere and there was not an arbitary age limit of 18 to distinguish children and adults.
The average life expectancy was in 30s, so it would be foolish to marry late and get a career first :D

i am always amazed at how people judge ancient history/society by today's standards.

What happened with the girl is wrong but before blaming Islam why not ask a simple question. Did they follow the islamic rules? Or they still give preference to pre-islamic ways yet just get labelled as muslims.

Aquitaine

Its a cultural practice. According to Islam a girl is eligible to be married when she reaches puberty but it cannot be less that 9yrs of age even if she gets periods before that(precocious puberty).
This was done everywhere and there was not an arbitary age limit of 18 to distinguish children and adults.
The average life expectancy was in 30s, so it would be foolish to marry late and get a career first :D

i am always amazed at how people judge ancient history/society by today's standards.

What happened with the girl is wrong but before blaming Islam why not ask a simple question. Did they follow the islamic rules? Or they still give preference to pre-islamic ways yet just get labelled as muslims.

Wait, according to Islam girls under 9 are not eligible for marriage? :confused: