• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yemeni child bride dies after internal bleeding on marriage night

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
heh Islam=culture. Anywhere supposedly with a Muslim majority has Islam as its central culture.

That must be why Pakistani culture is the same as Iranian culture which is the same as the cultures found in Hijaz and Yemen!
I did not say that Islam and culture were synonymous.
But, a predominate, strict, and highly involved religion will certainly effect and inform a culture. It is part of the culture.

I don't see how anyone can honestly sit there and claim that a culture and religion are completely separate. And in the case with Islam (as it would have been with Christianity in earlier ages), it is doubly perplexing since Islam sets itself up to be an integral part of society and individual behavior.

Alceste

Vagabond
My guess is that child marriage is more about male dominance, poverty, ignorance and the devaluing of girls, than necessarily about Islam. People just use the fact that it is not specifically forbidden in Islam to justify raping children.
I recommend donating to charities with educational programmes against child marriage.
Edit: put your money where your mouth is ;)

Yes, people use Islam to justify raping children, and also Islamic leaders (see crossfire's link) openly advocate raping children and call those who are opposed to child-rape "apostates". It's a little more than "anything that isn't forbidden is permitted". The religion and some of it's leaders in Yemen actually promote the crime.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
Yes, people use Islam to justify raping children, and also Islamic leaders (see crossfire's link) openly advocate raping children and call those who are opposed to child-rape "apostates". It's a little more than "anything that isn't forbidden is permitted". The religion and some of it's leaders in Yemen actually promote the crime.

Out of all Islamic leaders, you are saying most advocate it?

Maybe you should watch the video I posted for the other too

Alceste

Vagabond
Out of all Islamic leaders, you are saying most advocate it?

Maybe you should watch the video I posted for the other too

I didn't offer a qualifier. I don't know if it's most, many, some, half, whatever. The fact that ANY Islamic leaders promote raping children is offensive enough for me to want nothing to do with the religion.

If it makes you feel any better, I feel the same way about Catholicism, given it's claims that child-raping priests were "seduced" by their victims, and the pope's recent pronouncement that it's a crime to accuse priests of sexual predation.

These are contributing factors to my belief that patriarchal monotheism is a deranged, dangerous world view.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
I didn't offer a qualifier. I don't know if it's most, many, some, half, whatever. The fact that ANY Islamic leaders promote raping children is offensive enough for me to want nothing to do with the religion.

Sorry, hold on, I have to go get an ice pack from that slap in the face despite the outrage most of us practicioners of this evil evil religion feel about the situation.

As I said earlier, ask them "sheikhs" who allow it if they will give their 8 year old daughters away :rolleyes:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Sorry, hold on, I have to go get an ice pack from that slap in the face despite the outrage most of us practicioners of this evil evil religion feel about the situation.

As I said earlier, ask them "sheikhs" who allow it if they will give their 8 year old daughters away :rolleyes:
Don't worry, Assad, I believe you. There are those who soul-search and look for right guidance, and I admire those who do, even if some might want to call you "apostates."

Alceste

Vagabond

I didn't say evil, I said deranged and dangerous. :) All the problems I have with Islam I have with patriarchy in general. It is all deranged and dangerous, IMO. I hope you don't feel like I'm singling Islam out.

Kerr

No,there is no relation to religion and i don't think such kind of man killing an innocent girl
for the purpose of his sexual pleasure to be a muslim by any means.

That is a crime similar to many crimes all over the world.

Man rapes 10-year-old girl at Great Northern Mall, kills woman
Court docs: 9-month-old found dead had severe vaginal trauma
TRAGIC: 9-Year-Old Girl Raped To Death In Anambra
Seven-year-old rape survivor's father reveals shocking statement made by official: full transcript
A 43-YEAR-OLD Mount Darwin man was arrested at the weekend for allegedly raping his 10-year-old daughter.

Richard Dawkins himself admitted that he was sexually abused by his teacher and it was OK.

Atheist Richard Dawkins makes shocking claim about pedophilia

Dawkins made the remarks in a recent interview with The Times magazine. He said that during his time at a boarding school as a boy in the 1950s, a teacher “pulled me on his knee and put his hand inside my shorts.” Dawkins described the incident as “mild pedophilia” that left him no worse off. Neither Dawkins nor the other boys abused by this teacher suffered permanent physical or mental damage, he said.

Read more: Atheist Richard Dawkins makes shocking, offensive claim about pedophilia | The Daily Caller

So mild pedophilia according to atheism is fine if causing no harm,touching,kissing..etc
Reference : Richard Dawkins is totally cool with "mild pedophilia" - The Something Awful Forums
Lol, then I guess theism is ok with it since somewhere a theist is :rolleyes:. I dont get why people try and make Richard Dawkins into a authority for what atheists stand for. He isnt.

Do note I have the same view when it comes to pedophilia and Islam. Some might use it to justify it. Others wont. I do not blame Islam for the tragedy in the OP.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Is religion not part of a culture? And in particular, a religion such as Islam, which permeates and informs a culture?

Yes, culture is a major player. But this doesn't let religion off the hook. Both play a part.
It is true that religion is part of a culture. I had planned on adding something about that in my last post, but decided against it. I now see that I should have qualified my point.

Religion can be a very important part of culture. However, I would argue that more often than not, the religion itself is not what becomes important, but the distortions of it that people use in order to justify behaviors. In the case of forced marriage, one can see that to be exceptionally true. The Quran is against such an idea. Muhammad was against such an idea. It is required that the woman is both mature, as well as able to consent. Then she needs to be held in a higher regard than women often are. Yet, some still are able to justify the atrocity of forced marriage through their religion, even though the religion, or at least the holy texts, forbid such.

Religion, I would argue then, becomes most important in situations like this as a way to hide behind something.

ohhcuppycakee

Obviously not all Muslims advocate child marriage. Yemen is a very poor, backward place. I think there are heinous actions committed by people of all different religions. Child marriage is also still practiced in rural areas of India with Hindu populations, so it is not something peculiar to Muslims. Fortunately, more and more people are standing up against such practices.

Wherenextcolumbus

Obviously not all Muslims advocate child marriage. Yemen is a very poor, backward place. I think there are heinous actions committed by people of all different religions. Child marriage is also still practiced in rural areas of India with Hindu populations, so it is not something peculiar to Muslims. Fortunately, more and more people are standing up against such practices.

Basically this ^^

ohhcuppycakee

Their final Prophet (whom they deem the closest thing to a "perfect" human being) married a 6 year old - that's why.

Sources differ on the exact age of Aisha. If you compare Asma's age (according to ahadith) at the time of Aisha's marriage, it would put her at 17 or 18 years old. The fact is we really don't know how old she was. Ahadith is a source that is often contradictory.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
There is still a lot of backward thinking in all religions, but I do hope this one is dropped as soon as possible.

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
What a terrible tragedy. My deepest condolences go out to this innocent girl and all who will mourn this devastating loss. Let us sincerely hope this inhumane practice does not continue.

My opinion is that the conduct of individuals should not reflect on the religion as a whole.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Agreed, personally I do not care less what the man's religious or cultural circumstances are - what I am concerned with are the factors in the situation of the family of the child who would consent to such an arrangement; poverty is an extremely common factor (not the only one by any measure though, and cultural and religious factors such as pressure from their communities might well apply). If we are really interested in stamping out this sort of practice then it is these conditions that we need to eradicate, the things which make a family feel that such an arrangement with their child is tolerable let alone desirable.

nameless

The Creator
Last edited:

nameless

The Creator
Muslim communities belonging to all classes in india practice child marriage and their ratio is higher, statistics proves that, and they now wants to legalize it, http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...254645_1_marriage-age-circular-child-marriagehttp://articles.timesofindia.indiat...m/40133737_1_age-limit-civic-bodies-marriages

Last edited: