• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

YES!!!! Trump signs bill in support of Hong Kong protesters. China angry now.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You think Trump does this because he cares about them? Suddenly, he has normal human empathy? ROTFLMAO Well, I do respect you think he has risen to being human. That says more about you, than Tiny Hands Donald.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Everyone in Congress voted for this making it utterly veto proof.

But I do agree this was a good thing to have done.

I don't care what crocodile tears Xi sheds. China is an expansionistic dictatorship trying to take over economically and occasionally physically. Stopping them is a *good thing*.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have heard that it was not necessarily altruistic. China had been holding back on a trade agreement. It seems that they were trying to use that as a threat to keep us from showing such support. It looks as if that backfired for China.

Good-Ole-Rebel

I think it is a bad move. China has legitimate involvement with Hong Kong. Hong Kong will come under total China control in 2047. What will the U.S. do then?

In other words, there will be no democracy in Hong Kong in 2047.

I think the U.S should have minded it's own business concerning this.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

You shouldn't do something now because something else might happen in 27 years time o_O

Not 'might' happen. 'Will' happen.

Exactly right. What will the consequences of our involvement be that will merit value for only 27 years? What damage will be caused on our behalf that will last much longer than the 27 years?

If Texas wanted to secede and the U.S. was declaring a police force against us and China began openly supporting the secession, what would the U.S. response be? I tell you what it would be. "Stay out of our business". Yet we put our nose in the middle of everyone else's business.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Not 'might' happen. 'Will' happen.

Who knows what China will be like in 27 years or what decisions they may make before that?

Exactly right. What will the consequences of our involvement be that will merit value for only 27 years? What damage will be caused on our behalf that will last much longer than the 27 years?

Some people believe in free speech, not self-censorship out of fear. That is their right, as it is your right to be cowed.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Who knows what China will be like in 27 years or what decisions they may make before that?

Some people believe in free speech, not self-censorship out of fear. That is their right, as it is your right to be cowed.

You know they have an agreement that Hong Kong will be turned completely over to China in 27 years. You know that. You know China rules with an iron fist. You know China has never given up on Taiwan being brought back under their rule. Thus you know Hong Kong is certainly not going to be given up.

You didn't answer my questions. What will the consequences of our involvement be that will merit value for only 27 years? And what damage will be caused on our behalf that will last much longer than 27 years?

Would you be for China supporting Texas to secede from the Union?

Good-Ole-Rebel

You know they have an agreement that Hong Kong will be turned completely over to China in 27 years. You know that. You know China rules with an iron fist. You know China has never given up on Taiwan being brought back under their rule. Thus you know Hong Kong is certainly not going to be given up.

Yes, I know that. I also know that it is not possible to accurately predict the state of the world in 27 years time.

You didn't answer my questions. What will the consequences of our involvement be that will merit value for only 27 years? And what damage will be caused on our behalf that will last much longer than 27 years?

I very much doubt this will cause any damage that lasts longer than 27 years. Not sure it will do any damage that lasts 27 days. Not sure it has much effect at all on anything. It's hardly the biggest bone of contention between the countries.

Do you generally think that people should be cowed into keeping quiet out of fear rather than expressing what they believe?

Would you be for China supporting Texas to secede from the Union?

They can say what they like.

esmith

Veteran Member
Yes, I know that. I also know that it is not possible to accurately predict the state of the world in 27 years time.
I very much doubt this will cause any damage that lasts longer than 27 years. Not sure it will do any damage that lasts 27 days. Not sure it has much effect at all on anything. It's hardly the biggest bone of contention between the countries.

Excuse me, but why should anyone worry about what is going to happen in 27 years. I thought, due to climate change, the world as we know it will be gone in a minimum of 30 years :rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Excuse me, but why should anyone worry about what is going to happen in 27 years. I thought, due to climate change, the world as we know it will be gone in a minimum of 30 years :rolleyes:
Aye, as the leading luminary in the Democrat Party said,
the world will end in 12 years due to global warming.
Here's the countdown....
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Countdown to the End of the World - NPC Daily
aoc12.jpg

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I saw this other article: Furious, China summons US ambassador over Hong Kong bills

BEIJING (AP) — China reacted furiously Thursday to President Donald Trump’s signing two bills aimed at supporting human rights in Hong Kong, summoning the U.S. ambassador to protest and warning the move would undermine cooperation with Washington.

They summoned the U.S. ambassador. Is that like being sent to the principal's office?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Do you generally think that people should be cowed into keeping quiet out of fear rather than expressing what they believe?

They can say what they like.

It is accurate to predict that in 27 years Hong Kong reverts back completely under China's control. But Hong Kong already belongs to China. Hong Kong is not independent from China. A military Chinese force is always present in Hong Kong. And China could use military force whenever it wants to stop the protests.

If China decides to use it's military force your 27 years waiting period is over. It will use the instability caused by the protests as reason to have more of a presence in Hong Kong.

You say U.S. support won't have any lasting affect or damage. You're incredibly idealistic. The U.S. response may be that which pushes China to the place where China will use their military to restore order. Then what do we do? You like to use the word 'cowed'. Do you think China will be willing to be seen as 'cowing' under U.S. pressure? Ever heard of the Bay of Pigs?

The people in Hong Kong can protest all they want. They can express what they believe all they want. They can riot all they want. They can be bold as lions and express their 'free speech' all they want. That doesn't mean the U.S. needs to get involved in their protest.

Hong Kong belongs to China.

Good-Ole-Rebel

You say U.S. support won't have any lasting affect or damage. You're incredibly idealistic. The U.S. response may be that which pushes China to the place where China will use their military to restore order. Then what do we do? You like to use the word 'cowed'. Do you think China will be willing to be seen as 'cowing' under U.S. pressure? Ever heard of the Bay of Pigs?

Whether they use the military has nothing to do with what America says. China couldn't back down before, and they can't back down now. No different.

It's not being cowed by America that is the big problem, it's being cowed by their own people.

Expressing support for HK isn't even close to the biggest bone of contention between the 2 countries. The South China Sea and trade disputes are far more significant than some empty statement.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Whether they use the military has nothing to do with what America says. China couldn't back down before, and they can't back down now. No different.

It's not being cowed by America that is the big problem, it's being cowed by their own people.

Expressing support for HK isn't even close to the biggest bone of contention between the 2 countries. The South China Sea and trade disputes are far more significant than some empty statement.

China is not worried about being cowed by it's own people. It won't be. Once it sets it's mind to squash the riots, they will be squashed.

The U.S. has now made it an international affair. Therefore China can be seen as cowed before the U.S. if they back down. As I said, this more than anything will push China to act now even before the 27 year agreement is up.

As long as the U.S stayed out of it, it was just between Hong Kong and China. And China could maneuver many different ways. But now, China will be seen as weak if she doesn't clamp down on the riots.

Again, did you ever hear of the Bay of Pigs?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Last edited: