• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet more reason to despise people of violence

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I find it odd that anyone would consider people who would murder families out for a Xmas shop deserving of anything other than contemptible and repugnant.

I'm sorry, but how does contempt help anything? I'm quite serious when I say this kind of passionate hatred is the root of the very thing you're complaining about. If you are actually serious about ending things like war and violence, you need to let go of this kind of hatred and see all people as deserving love aid assistance. Especially the people who break the laws of your land - they need a hand to help them out more than most. Most of them are not doing it because it's their nature, they're doing it because they are victims of poor circumstance. How does shunning and demonizing them help with anything other than encourage them to perpetuate more violence to resolve their circumstances? I mean, what else are they supposed to do if you're not going to benevolently help them to reform and change?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I'm sorry, but how does contempt help anything? I'm quite serious when I say this kind of passionate hatred is the root of the very thing you're complaining about. If you are actually serious about ending things like war and violence, you need to let go of this kind of hatred and see all people as deserving love aid assistance. Especially the people who break the laws of your land - they need a hand to help them out more than most. Most of them are not doing it because it's their nature, they're doing it because they are victims of poor circumstance. How does shunning and demonizing them help with anything other than encourage them to perpetuate more violence to resolve their circumstances? I mean, what else are they supposed to do if you're not going to benevolently help them to reform and change?
Wrong. I loathe violence and those who perpetrate it. I make no apologies for my loathing. I am an absolute believer in non-violence. I am not a pacifist because I believe it is right to fight for what you believe in. I am non-violent because I believe that physical violence is not only wrong - it is ineffective.

As soon as people abandon violence they are no longer people of violence and I will not be fighting against them over the issue of violence.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
:facepalm:

Unconditional love and support for all peoples instead of "I'll stop despising you once you agree with me" would be much more... consistent with your position, but okay, then. It's disconcerting you don't see the connection between passionate hatred or intolerance and the things you oppose, but... okay then. :shrug:

Yes indeed. And those who live by the sword....

Aye. Fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I see some good points here on many sides. I think the drones are cowardly. I think revenge is wrong.

I believe hate will consume a person who cannot see their own hypocrisy.

That said, as long as I am free, I will not run from a fight nor will I start one.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Aye. Fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM
Is it that you support the people who planted bombs in a busy shopping district?
I'm not sure I follow.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I see some good points here on many sides. I think the drones are cowardly. I think revenge is wrong.

I believe hate will consume a person who cannot see their own hypocrisy.

That said, as long as I am free, I will not run from a fight nor will I start one.

With respect Rick, while I also disagree with Drones the perpetrators of violence cited in this op were planting incendiary devices in a busy shopping district and targeting Christmas shoppers.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
:facepalm:

Unconditional love and support for all peoples instead of "I'll stop despising you once you agree with me" would be much more... consistent with your position, but okay, then. It's disconcerting you don't see the connection between passionate hatred or intolerance and the things you oppose, but... okay then. :shrug:

Why should I offer unconditional love for those who would kill me when you don't??
My position is this: I loathe violence and those who perpetrate it and I will fight against it. My fight will be non-violent but it will be a fight.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I find it odd that anyone would consider people who would murder families out for a Xmas shop deserving of anything other than contemptible and repugnant.

No here one is arguing otherwise, but you condemn violence as a whole, regardless of circumstance, rather than specific acts of victimization and injustice.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
How would you have effectively halted the nazi invasions/occupations and genocide?
Badshah Khan defeated the (at the time) genocidal occupying British Empire, an Empire not know for it's light touch approach, with non-violence.
Non-violence is a powerful, powerful weapon.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
No here one is arguing otherwise, but you condemn violence as a whole, regardless of circumstance, rather than specific acts of victimization and injustice.

With respect, it seems to me that the poster who said that
Unconditional love and support for all peoples instead of "I'll stop despising you once you agree with me" would be much more... consistent with your position, but okay, then. It's disconcerting you don't see the connection between passionate hatred or intolerance and the things you oppose, but... okay then.
is arguing otherwise.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think you would either need to be very poorly informed, or very fawning, not to somehow notice that Hitler was largely an incompetent who ran a great nation into the dust pretty much as quickly as you can do such a thing. The allies refused to assassinate him on the grounds that he was such a fool, he was actually helping their war effort with his poor judgement and crazy decisions.