• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young people and masturbation

Me Myself

Back to my username
People can do as they please, they can please themselves as much as they like. that does not negate the fact that it promotes self-centredness

Nor is it evidence of a person practising self-control.

List of things that are done to please ourselves (surely I will leave an infinite amount of things out, but hey, gotta start somewhere). :

Taking a seat

Eating ice cream

Eating anything unnecessary

Playing candy crush

Pillows

Scratching

Sodas

Crosswords

Massages

Masturbation.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Denying one's sexual needs and then expecting the result to be mental and emotional health and balance is like starving oneself and then expecting one not to become obsessed with food.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
People can do as they please, they can please themselves as much as they like. that does not negate the fact that it promotes self-centredness

And the reason why we take this stance against it is because all JW's are active ministers of God. To be such a minister, one must have self control and self regulation and not be selfish or self-centered and most certainly should not be coveting such a sexual appetite.

If a minister came to my door, I would expect that person to be a good example of one who follows the high standards they are preaching. When JW's come knocking, you can be sure that they are upholding such standards and not secretly indulging in fleshly things.... to be a spiritual person means to put such things aside and get control of the fallen flesh. If we were being led by the flesh, then we wouldnt have a freeness of speech toward God or man.

Sexual release is as necessary as eating food, drinking water and breathing oxygen. It's a need that humans need to fulfill in order to be healthy. It's very detrimental to physical and mental health (also spiritual health) to burden yourself with guilt and shame for what is a very normal and healthy process. Males need to wank in order to "clean the pipes" and promote healthy functioning of their genitals and females need it in order to release tension. We all use it as a tool to learn more about our bodies and what we like and don't like. In that way, it is actually un-selfish because it helps you to be a better lover. How can you please someone else when you can't even please yourself? You're just going to be ignorant if you don't do it because you won't know how you like to be touched. It's the same as how can you love someone else when you can't love yourself? It all starts with you. It makes no sense to believe that God looks down on us for pleasuring ourselves when He created our bodies and our sexual urges and pronounced them good. There is not one word in the entire Bible that speaks out against masturbation. Sex, orgasms and pleasure are gifts from God. Even non-human animals masturbate and they are surely sinless. It's a part of who we are as creatures on this earth.

Despite what you've been indoctrinated with, the flesh (i.e. the body) is not "evil". God created our bodies, no? Jesus incarnated in a human body and so sanctified the physical form. We do not have any control over our sexual urges. We can only choose how we respond to them. It's the same as how we have no control over our need to eat, drink and breathe. Masturbating relieves our urges for awhile. Not masturbating allows our urges and tensions to pile up and creates neurosis. Instead of giving yourself a healthy orgasm and then being able to move your thoughts to something else, you become obsessed with not masturbating. I have been there before, for a year, and it was just torture. I felt horrible, certainly not any closer to God.

God is not a god of guilt and shame.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
If it is selfish to masturbate, what is the opposite? Sitting in the street and begging for release from a helpful hand? Obviously you cannot recommend a married relationship to ease the craving, as this would simply lead to using the spouse as a means to an end.

Simple drives can be simply satisfied. If only we could rub our stomachs to relieve hunger.

well there are better ways to fulfill sexual desire...the bible encourages young people in such a situation to marry. Sexuality and its desire is filled through marriage with a loving partner.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Sexual release is as necessary as eating food, drinking water and breathing oxygen. It's a need that humans need to fulfill in order to be healthy. It's very detrimental to physical and mental health (also spiritual health) to burden yourself with guilt and shame for what is a very normal and healthy process. Males need to wank in order to "clean the pipes" and promote healthy functioning of their genitals and females need it in order to release tension. We all use it as a tool to learn more about our bodies and what we like and don't like. In that way, it is actually un-selfish because it helps you to be a better lover. How can you please someone else when you can't even please yourself? You're just going to be ignorant if you don't do it because you won't know how you like to be touched. It's the same as how can you love someone else when you can't love yourself? It all starts with you. It makes no sense to believe that God looks down on us for pleasuring ourselves when He created our bodies and our sexual urges and pronounced them good. There is not one word in the entire Bible that speaks out against masturbation. Sex, orgasms and pleasure are gifts from God. Even non-human animals masturbate and they are surely sinless. It's a part of who we are as creatures on this earth.

Despite what you've been indoctrinated with, the flesh (i.e. the body) is not "evil". God created our bodies, no? Jesus incarnated in a human body and so sanctified the physical form. We do not have any control over our sexual urges. We can only choose how we respond to them. It's the same as how we have no control over our need to eat, drink and breathe. Masturbating relieves our urges for awhile. Not masturbating allows our urges and tensions to pile up and creates neurosis. Instead of giving yourself a healthy orgasm and then being able to move your thoughts to something else, you become obsessed with not masturbating.

God is not a god of guilt and shame.

we do not have any control over sexual urges? You really believe that?

Do you say the same for a peodophile? They have no control over their sexual urges so they should be allowed to satisfy them?

Everyone has the ability to control, and even direct, their sexual urges.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
we do not have any control over sexual urges? You really believe that?

Do you say the same for a peodophile? They have no control over their sexual urges so they should be allowed to satisfy them?

Everyone has the ability to control, and even direct, their sexual urges.

Pedophiles can masturbate, can they not? Everyone needs to have some sort of sexual release, especially if they're celibate by choice or by circumstance because fulfilling their attractions wouldn't be legal (such as with true pedophiles).

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
well there are better ways to fulfill sexual desire...the bible encourages young people in such a situation to marry. Sexuality and its desire is filled through marriage with a loving partner.

I started masturbating when I was 12. So I guess I should've gotten married at that time? :rolleyes:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I've too often seen the results that so frequently come from young people marrying to satisfy their sexual desires to believe that such advice is anything more than damn foolishness.

Me Myself

Back to my username

Thats the stupidest advice I have ever heard

"Why do you want to masturbate son? Sexual desire! Oh no no no dont be foolish. Wait a week for me I will be looking brides for you. Meanwhile, have this ice cream"

You still have not at all adressed why isnt it immoral to eat ice cream, enjoy pillows or scratch when itch, as they are all self centered ways of satisfying oneself that fit perfectly on the description of all the initial things you said were bad about masturbation.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

I'll say this..... Pegg... where many other religions have sneaked away to hide from this thread, you have had the guts to stand up. Everybody here would testify to your strength of character, openess, honesty and the strength of your faith. But in this matter I believe that you are horribly mistaken.

Young people should never, ever, marry..... before they know each other intimately. I remember a Bahai marriage many years ago, where, not that long after the marriage the pregnant (or recently birthed) wife started to report her husband's horrific needs and desires amongst the followers (a bahai betrayal in itself) and soon after they were divorced. This would never have happened if they had first learned a bit more about each other.

You mention the 'selfishness' of masturbation..... what if young partners were to experiment in masturbation with each other? What if a young boy was to masterbate, say, his girlfriend? Is this ok, since he is being selfless?

Me Myself

Back to my username
I want someone to explain me how is it selfless to eat ice cream or scratch when itched.

This are self centered activities. They most surely most be the reason of impending doom, no?

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
...where many other religions have sneaked away to hide from this thread...

I'm Hindu. I've been following this thread with great interest. Sexual pleasure, sexual intimacy, love making, etc. are one of the Purushārtha-s (Goals of Man/Womankind) in Hinduism. It is known as kāma. Masturbation in moderation is a healthy activity.

Is this ok, since he is being selfless?

[sarcasm]It is not okay because it is a crime against the universe. All hope is lost and we would all be doomed if he did that. The universe would come crashing down and the stars would start falling.[/sarcasm]

They most surely most be the reason of impending doom, no?

[sarcasm]They are a crime against all of humanity. Masturbation in moderation is so wrong, that it defies all logic and reason. It's such a horrid activity that it even goes against the Geneva Convention.[/sarcasm]

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'll say this..... Pegg... where many other religions have sneaked away to hide from this thread, you have had the guts to stand up. Everybody here would testify to your strength of character, openess, honesty and the strength of your faith.

Ditto.

But in this matter I believe that you are horribly mistaken.

Young people should never, ever, marry..... before they know each other intimately.

Also ditto. I would much rather see elders wisely encourage young people to know each other intimately before marriage, than see elders foolishly discourage them from such knowledge.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As a Hindu, fully aware there are two paths in life, the householder, and the renunciate (celibate) monk or nun, I do see potential problems with excessive masturbation. Since only one other Hindu on these forums spoke to it, I though I'd add two bits.

With other instinctive pleasures, there are dangers when done in excess. Obesity from food, poor eyes from too much TV, and other possible stuff when it relates to overindulgence becoming addiction.

There is also a difference between repression and suppression, at least from the Hindu POV. Repression is the idea of yelling, "Bad Bad Bad!" about something, and therefore that something is maintained by guilt or fear, neither of which is healthy at all, and generally the end results are distorted almost insane activities.

With suppression, it's more a conscious shifting of awareness, using self-control, but also maintaining that the activity is normal. So it would be like the 'no booze' at all stance versus drinking socially and responsibly.

Hindus would never view things in such black and white terms. However, at the age when a young man enters a monastery, or takes the vow of renunciation, masturbation would stop. The release of the energy would just happen naturally in wet dreams, which, according to Hindu psychology of mind, is where the soul mind naturally shifts mental activity. Then eventually, form years and years of extensive sadhana in the practice of raja yoga, that same energy would be transmuted into kundalini, the individual energy of yoga, in the spine.

Individuals vary. Sex drives vary. In Hinduism, it's all part of life, considered healthy, but also not the singular focus that we sometimes see in the west, where people spend far too much time fantasizing about it, and could be more productive in other areas of life, no different than people who readily admit to spending to much time on internet forums.

The very fact that we do have celibacy as a chosen route (although rare) demonstrates this balance.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

And the reason why we take this stance against it is because all JW's are active ministers of God. To be such a minister, one must have self control and self regulation and not be selfish or self-centered and most certainly should not be coveting such a sexual appetite.

If a minister came to my door, I would expect that person to be a good example of one who follows the high standards they are preaching. When JW's come knocking, you can be sure that they are upholding such standards and not secretly indulging in fleshly things.... to be a spiritual person means to put such things aside and get control of the fallen flesh. If we were being led by the flesh, then we wouldnt have a freeness of speech toward God or man.

This is just wishful thinking.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

Is there any wonder why the divorce rate is so high?

Young people getting married just to get laid...

All in gods name.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

What? To marry at 12~15 years old? :sarcastic

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Masturbation is one of the few things young people can do to ridiculous excess without its harming them.

Last edited: