• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young people and masturbation

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Im not sure too many kids would actually ask the question.

Pegg, does that mean that, in your opinion, there wouldn't be a good enough reason to do it, ever?

yes, pretty much.

Its a self-gratifying activity and it messes around with the bodies hormones....it will only lead to sexual immorality and selfish desires. And when you begin a relationship with that as your foundation, it will not be helpful or beneficial to you or your future partner.

Me Myself

Back to my username
yes, pretty much.

Its a self-gratifying activity and it messes around with the bodies hormones....it will only lead to sexual immorality and selfish desires. And when you begin a relationship with that as your foundation, it will not be helpful or beneficial to you or your future partner.

You could say the same thing about ice cream :shrug:

You are just being arbitrary with it.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I also assume you never buy them toys of any kind nor let them play any kind of games?

Out of complete curiosity, what if they told you "because I want to be healthy and I heard this is a good prevention for prostate cancer?"

By the same curiosity token, is there any verse in the bible that you know of that speaks against women masturbating?

do you know the health ramifications? does anyone really know the health ramifications???

How do you know that masturbation isnt the cause of prostate cancer. Masturbation does stimulate hormones. Hormones that get out of balance do cause other problems.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
You could say the same thing about ice cream :shrug:

You are just being arbitrary with it.

eating icecream doesnt cultivate attitudes that will affect your partner.

The attitude cultivated through self gratification is selfishness to the degree that your own pleasure is the first pursuit. And unfortunately that just doenst make for a wholesome relationship

Me Myself

Back to my username
do you know the health ramifications? does anyone really know the health ramifications???

How do you know that masturbation isnt the cause of prostate cancer. Masturbation does stimulate hormones. Hormones that get out of balance do cause other problems.

Do you know the health ramifications?

I d love to see your sources on that.

I am sure they are existent, scientific, serious and not religiously motivated to twist the truth in absolutely any way possible.

Me Myself

Back to my username
eating icecream doesnt cultivate attitudes that will affect your partner.

The attitude cultivated through self gratification is selfishness to the degree that your own pleasure is the first pursuit. And unfortunately that just doenst make for a wholesome relationship

Do you eat ice cream for any reason that is not self gratification? Please dont tell me your sources told you it was good for health or sometng o.o

I agree when having sex with a partner you shold care for both people's pleasure and best if you care for the other one's pleasure first, but naturally, this doesnt apply when you are alone.

Its like asking for a vanilla ice cream when you prefer chocalte because your bf likes it that way, even though you are alone. In other words, cute for romantic comedies but unecessary and restrictive of chocolate pleasure.

Skwim

Veteran Member
i would not be teaching them that its ok to do things just because 'it feels good'
Fine, but the "it feels good" was not advice I suggested giving them, but the probable answer they would give you for doing it. Recall, you said you'd ask them "why they want to."

that is not a good enough reason imo....nor does it set a good precedent for other activities.
So doing something because it pleases oneself is never reason enough for doing anything? Anything at all? And just what other activities does masturbation set a not-good precedent for?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Fine, but the "it feels good" was not advice I suggested giving them, but the probable answer they would give you for doing it. Recall, you said you'd ask them "why they want to."

they might think it feels good to punch someone they dislike in the face too.... hence, just because it feels good doesnt mean it should be done.

So doing something because it pleases oneself is never reason enough for doing anything? Anything at all? And just what other activities does masturbation set a not-good precedent for?

well it will lead the to want to have sexual relations. Do you want a sexually active 11year old? And then there are the consequences they are not prepared to handle if they do.

there are so many reasons to discourage them....teach them self control instead :)

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Pegg, you are aware that mammals of all ages, including infants, masturbate? It's a normal part of sexual development.

There's also no evidence that masturbation causes prostate cancer. There is possible evidence that frequent masturbation can increase the risk in young adult males: Masturbation and Prostate Cancer Risk However, the article also says:
These are just theories, Dimitropoulou warns. More research is needed to determine the exact role of sex hormones and sexual activity in prostate-cancer risk at different stages of life.
Meanwhile, Dimitropoulou, now at England's University of Cambridge, advises moderation for both younger and older men.
"It is kind of logical that a moderate level of masturbatory activity has to be maintained," she says. "Not too much, and not none at all."

Of course, there's no known risks with female masturbation.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
they might think it feels good to punch someone they dislike in the face too.... hence, just because it feels good doesnt mean it should be done.

That's a terrible argument. As I mentioned earlier, the concept of whether sorething harms others, or self (health implications) are obviously part of this.
How about you find evidence of it causing harm, and I'll find evidence of NOT doing it causing harm.

well it will lead the to want to have sexual relations. Do you want a sexually active 11year old? And then there are the consequences they are not prepared to handle if they do.

This is just...:shrug:

You don't think you might have the developmental stages a little skewed? I didn't start masturbating thinking about my Star Wars action figures. (well...maybe Leia...)

there are so many reasons to discourage them....teach them self control instead :)

You seriously think you can sit your kids down and teach them not to masturbate without introducing guilt concepts likely to cause more harm than good?

Wherenextcolumbus

yes, pretty much.

what if they start masturbating in the bedroom with their husband or wife, is that a problem?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I was so deeply shocked to read a Jehovah's Witness's comments about this that I entered 'Watch-Tower' and 'Masturbation' into the www and got this alleged quote from that magazine. This quoted report is, for me, the most damaging and bad mindset that I have yet come across in connection with JW life. This is straight out of the dark ages, in my opinion.

Watchtower Quotes Regarding Masturbation

Masturbation

Jehovah's Witnesses are not to masturbate on the grounds that it is "unclean", displays "greediness", leads to sexual promiscuity and even homosexuality. Masturbation is not in itself a disfellowshipping sin, but can be a reason for a person to be withheld privileges.

The way Watchtower publications discuss this topic have made masturbation a source of great guilt for many Witnesses, particularly in their teenage years. The Bible never mentions masturbation, even though it has always been a common practice for both men and women. Therefore, the Watchtower goes beyond the Scriptures when it speaks out against this practice.

Some of the following quotes are amusing in their descriptions of people that masturbate and recommendations for overcoming, such as to sleep on ones side.

Wherenextcolumbus

I was so deeply shocked to read a Jehovah's Witness's comments about this that I entered 'Watch-Tower' and 'Masturbation' into the www and got this alleged quote from that magazine. This quoted report is, for me, the most damaging and bad mindset that I have yet come across in connection with JW life. This is straight out of the dark ages, in my opinion.

Masturbation

Jehovah's Witnesses are not to masturbate on the grounds that it is "unclean", displays "greediness", leads to sexual promiscuity and even homosexuality. Masturbation is not in itself a disfellowshipping sin, but can be a reason for a person to be withheld privileges.

The way Watchtower publications discuss this topic have made masturbation a source of great guilt for many Witnesses, particularly in their teenage years. The Bible never mentions masturbation, even though it has always been a common practice for both men and women. Therefore, the Watchtower goes beyond the Scriptures when it speaks out against this practice.

Some of the following quotes are amusing in their descriptions of people that masturbate and recommendations for overcoming, such as to sleep on ones side.

Really? That is the most damaging? Not the ban on blood transfusions or shunning?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

Masturbation

Wow, even the Catholic Catechism doesn't say such things about wanking. :eek:

Treks

that site oldbagder linked to said:
Why is it that by far the majority who engage in the practice do so in a secret, furtive way?

Because masturbation is unnatural. Granted, small children have little concept of the sexual relationship of male and female. But with adolescence comes an inner awareness that tells the male his satisfaction of sexual desire is to be found in the female, and vice versa. Masturbation (like homosexuality) ignores or bypasses that natural arrangement. It is one form of leaving "the natural use of the female" for "one contrary to nature."

I'm sorry...