• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your belief regarding the greatest Sin

Mr Cheese

Sin...

When it comes to the word Sin, many people find this to be problematic.
Many for example state "I don't believe in Sin."
Taken to its extreme we have the mantra by a certain Occult Group
"Everythign is permissable, nothing is wrong". Which of course means its ok to stick pencils in yoru ears, call yourself George and pretend to be from Venus...

Sin of course generally falls under several definitions. A common one is that sin is essentially not "following Gods laws" these laws are generally written down in a holy book or a part opf a cultural and/or religiosu practice.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's *** for example.... No donkey for you, God has commanded it.

An alternative is that Sin is an archery tem that means to miss the mark. Thus Sin is what ever is done that misses the mark.

From a more esoteric stance one could argue that Sin is to participate in what Hindus and Buddhists call maya (which is not thought of exactly the smae in those "religions") or Illusion. Thus sin would be participating in illusion. Or Perhaps increasing what some translate the Buddhist concept to as "suffering" Thus sin is to increase suffering.

In Gnosticism, our outlook and approach is through Gnosis or knowledge. This is divine experiental knowledge. Episteme (another greek word for knowledge) would be book knowledge. It was Gnosis that plato spoke of as the highest function of man, not episteme. In Gnosticism then the greatest of all sins arguably is ignorance. Not simply ignorance, but deliberate wilful ignorance. Burying your head in the sand.

Going by your beleifs, religion, path, moneky chalk board.....

What IS the grreatest of all Sins?

Alceste

Vagabond
IMO, the greatest of all sins is warmaking. Those at the top are most culpable, as they have not only the blood of innocent victims on their hands, but also the burden of the deceitful manipulation of their domestic population to get them to fight, and finally the burden of cowardice for observing from afar while others die for their cause. Those on the front lines are least culpable. They have the blood of innocents on their hands, but are generally not also guilty of deceit and cowardice.

Mr Cheese

IMO, the greatest of all sins is warmaking. Those at the top are most culpable, as they have not only the blood of innocent victims on their hands, but also the burden of the deceitful manipulation of their domestic population to get them to fight, and finally the burden of cowardice for observing from afar while others die for their cause. Those on the front lines are least culpable. They have the blood of innocents on their hands, but are generally not also guilty of deceit and cowardice.

good one...

essentially "playing God" with other people's lives
treating them as expendable
and not actually taking any (or little) responsibility for your actions....

Mr Cheese

*psst* It's not always about you. ;)

And maybe that's the greatest sin.

pssst...

I know

never the less...

as Gnosticism generally sees "Jehova" as a naughty waughty "God"
Often in ignorance, Gnosticism has been accused of seeing God as Satan...

But I understand fully it may not have anythign to do with this (Itwillend's statement)

Maybe it was about satanism....

Only Itwillend knows...

Just_me_Mike

My post was simply saying what the bible says.
When one believes the Holy Ghost is a power from Satan, that sin can never be forgiven.
As such I suppose that is the only "great" sin, as the rest are all the same.
To me any sin is the same besides that one, becuase any sin carries with it the penalty of death. Whether it is stealing something or murdering because you like the sight of blood, no difference when it comes to judgment.

I wasn't poking at you cheeze.

Mr Cheese

intersting...

Gnostic texts speak of the supreme naughtiness of Blashpemy against the holy Spirit...

Mr Cheese

Elaborate on that, if you don't mind. What does the text say?

44 Jesus said, "Whoever blasphemes against the Father will be forgiven, and whoever blasphemes against the son will be forgiven, but whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit will not be forgiven, either on earth or in heaven."

--Gospel of Thomas

Alceste

Vagabond
good one...

essentially "playing God" with other people's lives
treating them as expendable
and not actually taking any (or little) responsibility for your actions....

Not to mention greed, whether in the form of a lust for power or a lust for wealth or both.

Just_me_Mike

44 Jesus said, "Whoever blasphemes against the Father will be forgiven, and whoever blasphemes against the son will be forgiven, but whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit will not be forgiven, either on earth or in heaven."

--Gospel of Thomas

Oh, I thought you meant your text was condoning such a thing.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
My post was simply saying what the bible says.
When one believes the Holy Ghost is a power from Satan, that sin can never be forgiven.
As such I suppose that is the only "great" sin, as the rest are all the same.
To me any sin is the same besides that one, becuase any sin carries with it the penalty of death. Whether it is stealing something or murdering because you like the sight of blood, no difference when it comes to judgment.

I wasn't poking at you cheeze.

If I may ask, how do you know that? After all, doesn't the NT base it's definitions of sin according to the law? If that is the case, then surely you can't say that any sin carries the penalty of death because MOST sins in Jewish law do NOT have a capital punishment attached.

Just_me_Mike

If I may ask, how do you know that? After all, doesn't the NT base it's definitions of sin according to the law? If that is the case, then surely you can't say that any sin carries the penalty of death because MOST sins in Jewish law do NOT have a capital punishment attached.
I wasn't discussing the Jewish law and how they practice.
The NT teaches the wages of sin is death. It is sin that seperates us from God, and being seperated from God means you are dead. Maybe not yet physically, but spiritually yes. Then when death does come death and sin will have won, because the sins were never attoned for and life will have ceased for those that still have their sins.

So really the concept I am teaching is much different than the Jewish concept.

Man of Faith

My book says that the only sin that will keep you out of Heaven is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit so that must be the greatest one. Now what that exactly means there is much debate. Some say it means rejecting Christ, or it could mean saying that God is satan.