• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite video games?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Metal Gear Solid and Tenchu are my favorite series as I grew up on them but the Tenchu series is dead thanks to Activision's success with the Spiderman series and Call of Duty.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Mass Effect series was great, I'm excited about the 4th. I play the ME3 MP on origin on occasion, same name.

Skyrim and New Vegas, S.T.A.L.K.E.R and I'm thinking about picking up Payday 2.

Recently beat Deus Ex:HR and think it was outstanding.

biased

SNES: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI
GBA: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
PSX: Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX
PC: Jade Empire, Age of Empires series, Borderlands series, Mass Effect, Dragon Age Origins, Deus Ex
PS3: Deadly Premonition, Shadow of the Colossus HD, The Last of Us

I just recently got a PS2 and PS3 so I've been slowly working my way through their library going according to people's favorite games lists kinda bummed I started Kingdom Hearts on PS2 and just got through with fighting Yuffie/Leon which I'm not willing to go through again to start all over with 1.5 ReMiX. I'm also waiting on the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD remaster but who knows when I will get around to that with full time classes starting up.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
SNES: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI
GBA: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
PSX: Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX
PC: Jade Empire, Age of Empires series, Borderlands series, Mass Effect, Dragon Age Origins, Deus Ex
PS3: Deadly Premonition, Shadow of the Colossus HD, The Last of Us

I just recently got a PS2 and PS3 so I've been slowly working my way through their library going according to people's favorite games lists kinda bummed I started Kingdom Hearts on PS2 and just got through with fighting Yuffie/Leon which I'm not willing to go through again to start all over with 1.5 ReMiX. I'm also waiting on the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD remaster but who knows when I will get around to that with full time classes starting up.

Quite the RPG-phile, huh. ^_^

Ever play the Dragon Quest games?

biased

Quite the RPG-phile, huh. ^_^

Ever play the Dragon Quest games?

I haven't. I have the VIII one for PS2 but my console is modchipped and is kinda wonky reading cds sometimes but so long as there aren't intense FMVs it's *usually* okay. I do want to play them eventually though.

I started Wrath of the White Witch, the studio ghibli ps3 game, some time ago so I still have that to get through for my JRPG fill. Also, my patience for grinding has gone down the older I have gotten. I'm just barely surviving boss fights in WotWW. Does DQ have much grinding?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I haven't. I have the VIII one for PS2 but my console is modchipped and is kinda wonky reading cds sometimes but so long as there aren't intense FMVs it's *usually* okay. I do want to play them eventually though.

I started Wrath of the White Witch, the studio ghibli ps3 game, some time ago so I still have that to get through for my JRPG fill. Also, my patience for grinding has gone down the older I have gotten. I'm just barely surviving boss fights in WotWW. Does DQ have much grinding?

The NES ones, yes. If you really can't stand it (don't blame you), don't play the original NES ones.

Luckily, they only somewhat relate to each other; more than Final Fantasy, but less than Metal Gear Solid. So you can play them out of order if you want.

I actually recommend only playing the first two games if you're interested in history, since they actually haven't aged all that well. But DQIII is AMAZING right from the start.

I also hear that DQVIII is one of the most polished games of all time, at least if the show 16-bit Gems is to be believed. Certainly the music is fantastic. If you've never heard it before, look up the Dragon Quest VIII Overture on Youtube; it's the finest rendition of the theme IMO. It's a completely different feel from Final Fantasy.

If you want a hint of how different the feel is, Dragon Quest's lead character designer is Akira Toriyama.

Aquitaine

Dungeon Keeper 1, Thief: The Dark Project, Thief 2: The Metal Age, Deus Ex (the original), Minecraft, Sim City 4, Dawn of War, and formally Eve Online.

Aquitaine

Metal Gear Solid

Child hood favorite and uber fan

I'm apparently in the minority for feeling this, but I much preferred MGS2 Raiden over what I saw of Raiden in MGS4.

I've only played MGS1 and MGS2, and seen some cut-scenes from MGS4 which may indeed be sufficient since apparently the player spends more time watching them than actually playing the game. :eek:

Riverwolf

Premium Member

I'm apparently in the minority for feeling this, but I much preferred MGS2 Raiden over what I saw of Raiden in MGS4.

I've only played MGS1 and MGS2, and seen some cut-scenes from MGS4 which may indeed be sufficient since apparently the player spends more time watching them than actually playing the game. :eek:

You haven't played Snake Eater???

Aquitaine

You haven't played Snake Eater???

Nope! Only MGS1 and MGS2, not sure which I preferred, and honestly wasn't that bummed on not being able to play as Snake for the bulk of MGS2 - although for some reason I was rather irked with his new-found facial hair.

Riverwolf

Premium Member

Nope! Only MGS1 and MGS2, not sure which I preferred, and honestly wasn't that bummed on not being able to play as Snake for the bulk of MGS2 - although for some reason I was rather irked with his new-found facial hair.

Dude, play Snake Eater. Specifically, get MGS3: Substinance, because that one has a better camera, and comes with the two original Metal Gear games.

In my opinion, it's the best of the three. (Havne't played MGS4 on up.) It could conceivably be a standalone, in fact, and I love games that belong to a franchise but could stand on their own.

Aquitaine

Dude, play Snake Eater. Specifically, get MGS3: Substinance, because that one has a better camera, and comes with the two original Metal Gear games.

In my opinion, it's the best of the three. (Havne't played MGS4 on up.) It could conceivably be a standalone, in fact, and I love games that belong to a franchise but could stand on their own.

I've heard MGS3 was the dog's bollocks, and the best of the whole series.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I've heard MGS3 was the dog's bollocks, and the best of the whole series.

Of the ones I've played, that is the case.

It's still extremely talky, and the acting often leaves something to be desired, and it still defies the laws of reality on a semi-regular basis, but, well... because of its change of setting, I've always felt the stakes were MUCH higher, and so things were much, much more tense, and the overall story is much, much stronger than either MGS1 or 2 IMO.

Furthermore, the humor is great, especially when Snake starts badtalking James Bond for being an unrealistic representation of espionage work(...as if his own was any more accurate lol) and gets an earful from his British commander. :D

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I also hear that DQVIII is one of the most polished games of all time, at least if the show 16-bit Gems is to be believed. Certainly the music is fantastic. If you've never heard it before, look up the Dragon Quest VIII Overture on Youtube; it's the finest rendition of the theme IMO. It's a completely different feel from Final Fantasy.

If you want a hint of how different the feel is, Dragon Quest's lead character designer is Akira Toriyama.

I love DQVIII, the game still looks good today, got really quirky characters and dialogue and the difficulty level is just right, the game challenges you but it's not insane.

Oh and.... I love the sabre tooth cat mount.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Yesterday, my friend gave me a gift; the Mass Effect Trilogy pack for the PS3.

I'm totally going to have a blast balancing myself between being a Paragon and Renegade as well as having a relationship with Garrus. :D