• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your unique political views

I didn't know how else to title this but basically what I want to discuss is this:

If you are a liberal, what is your "most conservative" political opinion.

If you are a conservative, what is your most "liberal" political opinion?

Personally I lean more to the left on social issues and I believe in some form of a "safety nets" (healthcare, UBI) for the less fortunate. I generally believe in personal liberties but where I differ from much of the left is that I am a bit more hawkish at least from a US perspective. Simply because I believe that even though the US is not perfect they are still going to be the last line of defense between stability, prosperity and liberty and total chaos in the world. Basically I would rather have the US (and it's allies like NATO) "running the world" than ruzzia or china. Also unlike many leftists I am very supportive of Israel and that's a minority opinion on the Left.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I didn't know how else to title this but basically what I want to discuss is this:

Personally I lean more to the left on social issues and I believe in some form of a "safety nets" (healthcare, UBI) for the less fortunate. I generally believe in personal liberties but where I differ from much of the left is that I am a bit more hawkish at least from a US perspective. Simply because I believe that even though the US is not perfect they are still going to be the last line of defense between stability, prosperity and liberty and total chaos in the world. Basically I would rather have the US (and it's allies like NATO) "running the world" than ruzzia or china. Also unlike many leftists I am very supportive of Israel and that's a minority opinion on the Left.
Well I'm a conservative and I make no bones about it and am a registered Republican.

That said I do find myself siding on several 'left wing' issues including that of abortion, universal health care, and the research and development of green energy.

I find all those things intriguing and interesting and would be supportive. but what I am against is people being forced against their will to accommodate said issues.

I'm a huge proponent of elective legislation and not compulsory legislation, so I guess the uniqueness of my political position is I can be privy to issues like that , provided there is wiggle room enough to compromise where I would be very happy to see such social programs and other things come to pass where everybody is reasonably happy.

Not a complete win-win , but not a complete lose lose either.

I think once a decent third, big tent party gets established enough to be on the ticket , and a strong contender to the duopoly, I am very seriously considering leaving the Republican party for something say along the lines of the Forward Party.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Not a liberal, but my beliefs generally lean in that direction:

I don't believe there is such a thing as "progress"; I think history is largely cyclical and that human nature will always be conducive to tribalism, war, greed, and strife. I find notions of "world peace," a "world government," human progress, etc., to be unrealistic, especially when one assumes that they can forcefully be brought about through revolution or large-scale, comprehensive, forceful restructuring of society.

Also, I don't believe that tradition always needs to be based on "reason" in order to have value. It seems to me that many things in life have value simply because we care about them or derive some meaning from them. I embrace harmless traditions that contribute to a sense of identity and heritage. There's no "rational" basis per se for, say, celebrating a centuries-old national holiday, but it can help enrich one's culture and imbue it with an identity that is distinct from other cultures.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Also unlike many leftists I am very supportive of Israel and that's a minority opinion on the Left.

I think that highly depends on what one sees as "supportive of Israel": is it the belief that both Israelis and Palestinians should have their own states where they would each be safe and sovereign? Then that's a majority opinion on the left.

If, however, it is a belief that Palestinians shouldn't have their own state or that it is unacceptable to criticize certain Israeli policies, then that is indeed a minority opinion on the left, and thankfully so. Such a belief, aside from how dangerous it is, would strike me as markedly bizarre and inconsistent coming from anyone who supported the rights of Tibet, Taiwan, and other nations that rightfully demand their sovereignty.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Middle - I swing from left to right, depending on national needs as I understand them as an American citizen and in relation to international realities. Beyond this, I favor smaller government and greater state power. I hold true to separation of church and state at federal levels. Federal funding religious moves such as displays is hit and miss, depending on State majority. Otherwise, I suggest keeping religion out of our policies to protect the greater majority of minorities. I favor environmental efforts, living green, less fossil fuel consumption, and MJ reform. I stand with the defunding of national threat oriented entities, including Afghan and China poppy distributors, unless controlled by CIA. I favor education affordability and opportunity for everyone seriously interested and willing to apply themselves. Healthcare, although needed and at the moment affordable enough for most Americans, I'm sure it can be improved, but nothing pressing. Commerce and economic stimulation is a big one and on the top of my necessary to address lists, which at the moment necessitates consumer spending as opposed to saving. National defense another at the top of my list and should be a priority. I support gun rights, naturally.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I'm a libertarian.
"We're pro-choice on everything."
Compared to liberals & conservatives, I favor....
- Smaller government.
- Stronger civil liberties.
- More accountability for government agents, eg, cops, judges, politicians.
- Less foreign adventurism.
- End the war on drugs.
- More environmental protection.
- Lessening regulation where it doesn't affect health & safety.
- No conscription, eg, military, public service.

Madsaac

I'm centre left (Possibly more left then other counties.) It's called the Labor Party in Australia, a little like Britain. I like the support for minority groups in general and to spread the 'wealth'

However, I'm a little against intervention for gamblers, the obese and so on, because that is their choice. (A little bit of libertarianism)

I think this could be my ignorance because if someone can show me that intervention is more cost efficient for society, then I could be persuaded.

Tomef

I struggle with the overlap. I think any extreme political positions should be avoided, but there are some points where overlap even of less extreme views becomes difficult. For example, conservatism, at least in the conception of someone like Roger Scruton, includes having a sense of ‘home’ that includes things like familiarity, continuity, tradition, a familiar culture and so on. All well and good - small c conservatives want those things for everyone, or think everyone should have equal access to them, regardless of gender or sexuality etc. Some conservative, particularly the brasher end of US and Russian religious conservatives, think that only people like them should be permitted to share that sense of ‘home’ within the wider community. So, you have 2 things - the experience of being at home in your country + the right of all citizens to experience that. I can sympathise with the small c conservative position, as they approve of the overlap with the recognise the equal rights of all position. Big C conservatives, though, want to live as if only they existed, so I find it impossible to accept that degree of conservatism.