• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yupik Eskimo village and the Catholic Church

robtex

Veteran Member
Not really a debate but due to the topic I figure debates may erupt over it--so I am placing it here. It is an account of a Catholic sex ring by members of the clergy .

From the first paragraph:

In the Yupik Eskimo village where Tom Cheemuk lived as a child in the 1960s, there was no running water. Homes in the tiny community of St. Michael were lit with gas lamps and generators. The town shared a single telephone. As a boy Cheemuk picked berries and gathered goose eggs on the pockmarked Alaskan tundra and fished for tomcod on the windy shores of the Bering Strait. Like most other children, he also spent many days inside the weather-beaten little Catholic church, helping the Jesuit missionaries who held such powerful sway over Eskimo life. That meant doing what you were told—even if it was wrong—and staying silent about it.

Sex Abuse in Alaska Church | Newsweek National News | Newsweek.com

maggie2

And the Pope is asking all Catholics to pray without ceasing that the church can rid itself of predators. As I said in a post about that topic, I believe in prayer, but I think we also have to take action. In this case, the church needs to ACT and deal with abusers and not just shuffle them around to a new parish.

I feel for these Eskimo people and what they have been through.

One of the things I've been learning about my personal relationships is that if I have a problem, I need to focus on what I can change about me, not the other person. I believe this is also a good practice in institutions as well. In this instance, I think the church needs to focus on what it can change about its policies surrounding priests who sexually abuse parishoners. They need to change how they respond to such abuses. They need to change their policies.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
They need to change their policies.
AFAIK, they have been changed...

Its a terrible thing when someone abuses their position in such a way... disgusting...

GayAtheist

My heart goes out to those poor Eskimos. They have to live with that experience for their rest of their lives. What a truly awful story. However, it is not unique. There are so many examples of this type of abuse at the hands of Catholics - its purely sickening.

They need to change their policies.

I hope they have changed their policies since that nasty little ex-Nazi Ratzinger designed the policy to move priests on, who had abused, instead of punishing them, as normal, decent institution would.

robtex

Veteran Member
My heart goes out to those poor Eskimos. They have to live with that experience for their rest of their lives. What a truly awful story. However, it is not unique. There are so many examples of this type of abuse at the hands of Catholics - its purely sickening.

I posted this one because the news story, which is really well done, captures the pain of the situation instead of just saying, priests abuse members get sued..which is more par for the course when reporting Catholic sex offenses. I applaud Tony Hopfinger for getting his hands dirty in this story instead of skimming over it as if it is as casual as talking about the weather.

I hope they have changed their policies since that nasty little ex-Nazi Ratzinger designed the policy to move priests on, who had abused, instead of punishing them, as normal, decent institution would.

Probably for some other thread but John Paul wasn't any better at addressing the issue.

rocka21

Brother Rock
LET PRIEST MARRY! LET PRIEST MARRY! LET PRIEST MARRY!

it won't stop all of it, but it would sure cut it down alot.