• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚱᚢᚾᛖᛋ

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Well...none. Sorry. I had a friend who was big into them...he'd draw three from a bag each day as a scrying exercise. He made us a board that says "Fairies in the forest, Dragons on the rooftop"

I'd do it in runes, if I had a clue where you got those from...

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Well...none. Sorry. I had a friend who was big into them...he'd draw three from a bag each day as a scrying exercise. He made us a board that says "Fairies in the forest, Dragons on the rooftop"

I'd do it in runes, if I had a clue where you got those from...

This works if you don't want to download anything from Google Play

To be fair, that's Old Futhark which dates about to the time of Jesus. The way modern people use it for modern English isn't quite the way it was originally intended, but it's popular to use it that way now so that in itself gives it some legitimacy. Seems to reflect modern paganism in this day and age anyways, imo

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
cool. your translator gives "ᚠᚨᛁᚱᛁᛖᛋ ᛁᚾ ᛏᚺᛖ ᚠᛟᚱᛖᛋᛏ, ᛞᚱᚨᚷᛟᚾᛋ ᛟᚾ ᛏᚺᛖ ᚱᛟᛟᚠᛏᛟᛈ"

But this is different in some respects from what he made for us; I suspect it's in Younger Futhark.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Interesting. Could be the English Futhorc as well, which is what I prefer. Ironically, it's actually one of the harder alphabets to translate into modern English given it uses old sounds no longer in use in English today

That's another thing to note... Unlike modern English's use of the Roman alphabet, runes have traditionally been used phonetically. For example, the word "ice" if spelled the modern English way in Futhorc runes would be "ᛁᚳᛖ" - I C E. Phonetically, it would be spelled "ᚪᛁᛋ" - Ah Ee S

Sorry for the school lesson, I'll stop :p

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Interesting. Could be the English Futhorc as well, which is what I prefer. Ironically, it's actually one of the harder alphabets to translate into modern English given it uses old sounds no longer in use in English today

That's another thing to note... Unlike modern English's use of the Roman alphabet, runes have traditionally been used phonetically. For example, the word "ice" if spelled the modern English way in Futhorc runes would be "ᛁᚳᛖ" - I C E. Phonetically, it would be spelled "ᚪᛁᛋ" - Ah Ee S

Sorry for the school lesson, I'll stop :p
Well, Will was a stickler for proper pronunciation and use of the runes...almost as much as he was of English...I seem to remember him explaining what you just said...

☆Dreamwind☆

I'm not much good at interpreting the runes yet. I'm learning to use them in spellcraft, though I'm not one to practice magic all that often.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I'm not much good at interpreting the runes yet. I'm learning to use them in spellcraft, though I'm not one to practice magic all that often.

Edred Thorsson has a nice little book if you wanted to incorporate more rune work into your practice

71sFGhBC-SL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Tamino

I'd like to know what role the runes play in your life or in your practice. ᛋᚴᚨᛚ!
I studied them a bit as a teenager, but they are not part of my practice today.

However, I am a great fan of ancient languages and different writing systems, so thank you for pointing out the spelling issue.

I think it's a bit awkward to just equate a rune with every letter of the English alphabet and then write out modern English in runes. I mean, it looks cool, but it's still modern English. Some people tend to believe that they "translated" into authentic Norse just by using a different shape of letters...

The better option, as you said, would be to use the runes for phonetic spelling, which means we're still using modern English language, but we're transcribing it into another alphabet with some respect to how that alphabet works (instead of just assuming that every foreign alphabet works exactly like yours).

I had a fun discussion with 2nd-grade students recently... I wrote out their names in hieroglyphs, and some of them complained that I was writing them wrong and there were clearly letters missing. Then I told them, I don't care how you write it in your alphabet: I am writing this down in hieroglyphs and I write what I hear. If I can't hear that letter I don't write it down. They were surprisingly okay with that explanation. So if 2nd graders get it, why is this such a baffling concept to half of the pagan Facebook users out there?

But even if you write phonetically, it's still English. Translating the things you want to say into a language that traditionally used runes as a writing system is another step entirely. I mean, that should be obvious, right? But to some people, it apparently isn't.
Sorry about the language rant. I met lots of dumb people on Facebook and I am traumatized by the experience, I think...

On the related topic: do you study runes or do you also study the associated languages?

☆Dreamwind☆

Thanks soandso for the recommendation. I have a little book to give me a headstart. In divination I mainly lack confidence and often second guess myself.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I studied them a bit as a teenager, but they are not part of my practice today.

However, I am a great fan of ancient languages and different writing systems, so thank you for pointing out the spelling issue.

It's what nerds do!

I think it's a bit awkward to just equate a rune with every letter of the English alphabet and then write out modern English in runes. I mean, it looks cool, but it's still modern English. Some people tend to believe that they "translated" into authentic Norse just by using a different shape of letters...

Oof... Yah, no, that's not quite how it works. The runes are mysterious for sure, but they ain't that magical

The better option, as you said, would be to use the runes for phonetic spelling, which means we're still using modern English language, but we're transcribing it into another alphabet with some respect to how that alphabet works (instead of just assuming that every foreign alphabet works exactly like yours).

Ehhh... I'm not so sure phonetic use of the runes is the way to go for writing in modern English, though. Elder Futhark doesn't contain runes for certain sounds that modern English utilizes. For instance, there's no rune for the CH sound

One reason modern English speaking people utilize the Elder Futhark runes in a similar way to the way they utilize Roman alphabet is that the Roman alphabet is extremely old and fairly closely related to the Elder Futhark runeset. It's easier to replace Roman characters for the oldest runes since they are very similar

Younger Futhark and the English Futhorc evolved on their own since those days and have been too far removed from the Roman alphabet to really be used in a similar way. For example, there is no longer a phonetic use in the Futhorc runeset for sounds such as the Eh-Ah sound of ᛠ (Ear)

I had a fun discussion with 2nd-grade students recently... I wrote out their names in hieroglyphs, and some of them complained that I was writing them wrong and there were clearly letters missing. Then I told them, I don't care how you write it in your alphabet: I am writing this down in hieroglyphs and I write what I hear. If I can't hear that letter I don't write it down. They were surprisingly okay with that explanation. So if 2nd graders get it, why is this such a baffling concept to half of the pagan Facebook users out there?

Well... It's a little more complicated than that, imo. Not everyone is THAT interested in runology - especially since the runes are used for long dead languages. They still want to be able to use the runes though, since the runes do have innate value for some pagan folks, so it's become a common practice to utilize them in the same way they may utilize a modern alphabet

To me, this is legitimate. I feel paganism isn't an old relic to be kept in a museum to collect dust and be preserved for all time. It's a living, breathing, and evolving path. If the modern practice gets people to start using the runes, good. If it organically coalesces into a system that most people end up using, that makes it more useful in general

But even if you write phonetically, it's still English. Translating the things you want to say into a language that traditionally used runes as a writing system is another step entirely. I mean, that should be obvious, right? But to some people, it apparently isn't.
Sorry about the language rant. I met lots of dumb people on Facebook and I am traumatized by the experience, I think...

It's ok! There's a reason I don't do Facebook even though my friends pressure me to go on social media

On the related topic: do you study runes or do you also study the associated languages?

The runes themselves primarily. I love linguistics so I will follow ancient words, their meanings, and how they evolved over time in relation to the cultural context of the time they were used vs. the runes and their intent. Etymology is fascinating for me. For instance - Fehu, which once meant wealth through the ownership of livestock has evolved over time into the modern word of "fee." What once was a proliferation of wealth has become a cost to it. To spend

It's allowed me to create my own runes for personal use that can be used phonetically in modern American English as well. I will say, writing long paragraphs phonetically instead of using standardised spelling gives a different perspective on spoken language and the ways we construct our spoken words vs. the ways we present them via writing

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Thanks soandso for the recommendation. I have a little book to give me a headstart. In divination I mainly lack confidence and often second guess myself.

I feel that for me divination with the runes had more to do with what concepts those runes would give me to mentally chew on rather than to use the runes as a fortune telling tool

For instance, let's say I draw the 3 runes of Thurisaz, Naudiz, and Jera. Thurisaz can be misfortune, or damage. Naudiz can represent being in need - working through issues. Jera represents the passage of time, and as we all know, wounds heal in time

I may consider certain issues I've had to deal with in life that may have caused me harm that I may try to ignore or put off. What can I do to approach those issues in a way that's healthy? What can I do to improve my situation? Maybe it's time to attack those issues now and set up goals to confront those things and conquer them in the coming days

I feel that working with the runes is more of a mental exercise that you get better at as you work with them more

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I'd like to know what role the runes play in your life or in your practice. ᛋᚴᚨᛚ!
ᛁ᛫ᚢᛊᛖ᛫ᚦ︍ᛖ᛫ᚱᚢᚾᛖᛊ᛫ᚠᚱᛟᛗ᛫ᛏᛁᛗᛖ᛫ᛏᛟ᛫ᛏᛁᛗᛖ.᛫ᛁᚾᚲ︍ᛚᚢᛞᛁᛜ︍᛫ᛁᚾ᛫ᚹᚱᛁᛏᛁᛜ︍,᛫ᛊᛈᛖᛚᛚ᛫ᚹᛟᚱᚲ,᛫ᚨᚾᛞ᛫ᛞᛁᚠ︍ᛁᚾᚨᛏᛁᛟᚾ.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
ᛁ᛫ᚢᛊᛖ᛫ᚦ︍ᛖ᛫ᚱᚢᚾᛖᛊ᛫ᚠᚱᛟᛗ᛫ᛏᛁᛗᛖ᛫ᛏᛟ᛫ᛏᛁᛗᛖ.᛫ᛁᚾᚲ︍ᛚᚢᛞᛁᛜ︍᛫ᛁᚾ᛫ᚹᚱᛁᛏᛁᛜ︍,᛫ᛊᛈᛖᛚᛚ᛫ᚹᛟᚱᚲ,᛫ᚨᚾᛞ᛫ᛞᛁᚠ︍ᛁᚾᚨᛏᛁᛟᚾ.

ᛁᚾᛏᛖᚱᛖᛊᛏᛁᛜ︍!᛫ᛁ'ᛗ᛫ᚲᛁᚾᛞ᛫ᛟᚠ᛫ᛞᚢᛊᛏᚢ︍᛫ᚹᚺᛖᚾ᛫ᛁᛏ᛫ᚲ︍ᛟᛗᛖᛊ᛫ᛏᛟ᛫ᚢᛏᛁᛚᛁᛉᛁᛜ︍᛫ᚦ︍ᛖ᛫ᚱᚢᚾᛖᛊ.᛫ᛁ'ᚠ︍ᛖ᛫ᚾᛟᛏ᛫ᚹᚱᛁᛏᛏᛖᚾ᛫ᛟᚱ᛫ᚹᛟᚱᚲᛖᛞ᛫ᚹᛁᚦ︍᛫ᚦ︍ᛖᛗ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚨ᛫ᚹᚺᛁᛚᛖ.᛫ᛁ᛫ᚨᛁᛗ᛫ᛏᛟ᛫ᚷᛖᛏ᛫ᛒᚨᚲ︍ᚲ᛫ᛁᚾᛏᛟ᛫ᚦ︍ᛖᛗ

ᚹᚺᚨᛏ᛫ᛗᛖᚦ︍ᛟᛞᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᛞᛁᚠ︍ᛁᚾᚨᛏᛁᛟᚾ᛫ᚹᛁᚦ︍᛫ᚦ︍ᛖ᛫ᚱᚢᚾᛖᛊ᛫ᛞᛟ᛫ᚢ︍ᛟᚢ᛫ᚢᛊᛖ,᛫ᛁᚠ᛫ᚢ︍ᛟᚢ᛫ᛞᛟᚾ'ᛏ᛫ᛗᛁᚾᛞᚢ︍᛫ᚨᛊᚲᛁᛜ︍?

Tamino

Ehhh... I'm not so sure phonetic use of the runes is the way to go for writing in modern English, though. Elder Futhark doesn't contain runes for certain sounds that modern English utilizes. For instance, there's no rune for the CH sound
Good point. You would have to invent extra letters or change the use of some .. at least, that's what happened in history whenever people picked up a foreign alphabet and started using it in their own language.
One reason modern English speaking people utilize the Elder Futhark runes in a similar way to the way they utilize Roman alphabet is that the Roman alphabet is extremely old and fairly closely related to the Elder Futhark runeset. It's easier to replace Roman characters for the oldest runes since they are very similar
Excellent point, one-on-one letter replacement is a fairly easy way to go. Modern English spelling is a hot mess, though... You sure you want to keep going with that counter-intuitive and exception-riddled chaos of pronunciation options when you have a chance to cut that Gordian knot in a new alphabet? ;)

Younger Futhark and the English Futhorc evolved on their own since those days and have been too far removed from the Roman alphabet to really be used in a similar way. For example, there is no longer a phonetic use in the Futhorc runeset for sounds such as the Eh-Ah sound of ᛠ (Ear)
But aren't they phonetically closer to the English language? I would assume that since the Futhorc was ALREADY adapted to an old form of English it would more readily lend itself to express modern English, too? Or are the phonetics that much different today?
Well... It's a little more complicated than that, imo. Not everyone is THAT interested in runology - especially since the runes are used for long dead languages. They still want to be able to use the runes though, since the runes do have innate value for some pagan folks, so it's become a common practice to utilize them in the same way they may utilize a modern alphabet

To me, this is legitimate.
Good point as well. I guess it's the easiest option available for people who have already learned English spelling anyway and can't invest lots of time into understanding phonetics and re-mapping spelling rules for lots of words...
I feel paganism isn't an old relic to be kept in a museum to collect dust and be preserved for all time. It's a living, breathing, and evolving path. If the modern practice gets people to start using the runes, good. If it organically coalesces into a system that most people end up using, that makes it more useful in general
Perfectly legit. The only thing I'd object to is when people pretend to have "authentic ancient practice" when what they do is clearly a modern invention or a medley of old elements in a modern context.
There's nothing wrong with being modern! The ancestors can give us some good advice and insight, but that doesn't mean we need to try and copy them, or that "old" is always "better".

The runes themselves primarily. I love linguistics so I will follow ancient words, their meanings, and how they evolved over time in relation to the cultural context of the time they were used vs. the runes and their intent. Etymology is fascinating for me. For instance - Fehu, which once meant wealth through the ownership of livestock has evolved over time into the modern word of "fee." What once was a proliferation of wealth has become a cost to it. To spend
That's cool to know.
Also, German "Vieh" still means "livestock" and it's pronounced almost exactly like "fee"

It's allowed me to create my own runes for personal use that can be used phonetically in modern American English as well. I will say, writing long paragraphs phonetically instead of using standardised spelling gives a different perspective on spoken language and the ways we construct our spoken words vs. the ways we present them via writing
True. I teach language sometimes. English and Latin to German speakers, German to Arabic speakers... The beginners will ask you the most difficult questions. "Why is it done this way" and "Why is it spelled this way?" - and then you have to admit that you have no idea, because you just accepted implicitly that "this is how we do it" and never before thought to question it...

Another tidbit that has been very valuable for me: a professor at university (an Egyptologist specialized on languages) made us aware in one of his courses that "to read" usually meant "read aloud" or "recite" in most ancient cultures.
Because there were not a lot of copies of any given text before the age of printing, and not a lot of people could read. So the few readers would usually read the few available books to an audience - their students, their family, their study group or their congregation. But one person sitting and reading ON THEIR OWN, silently? Only the craziest scholars and wealthiest enthusiasts would do that.
It's counter-intuitive to our modern world, where "reading" is something you typically do on your own, quietly, away from others. It's an introvert thing now...
And it brings up the question: is the magic of ancient letters in their shape or in their sound?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
ᚹᚺᚨᛏ᛫ᛗᛖᚦ︍ᛟᛞᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᛞᛁᚠ︍ᛁᚾᚨᛏᛁᛟᚾ᛫ᚹᛁᚦ︍᛫ᚦ︍ᛖ᛫ᚱᚢᚾᛖᛊ᛫ᛞᛟ᛫ᚢ︍ᛟᚢ᛫ᚢᛊᛖ,᛫ᛁᚠ᛫ᚢ︍ᛟᚢ᛫ᛞᛟᚾ'ᛏ᛫ᛗᛁᚾᛞᚢ︍᛫ᚨᛊᚲᛁᛜ︍?

So my main method is to basically ask a question and then just shake the bag and the first few that fall out I read.

I also do a seasonal sortilege during the high days which usually just consists the of a single draw from my rune bag. This is just to check in with the Kindreds and their thoughts on my latest sacrifices.

I can also do a few "tarot" style spreads, but I don't usually do them. Preferring to cast as opposed to relying on position.