• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agnostic Theism

Ajax

I am a pure agnostic, neither an agnostic theist, nor an agnostic atheist. I simply don't know if there is a God, but I try to live with my own morality.
When I look at the awe of nature, I am really really moved. I contemplate the stars. I look up to the distant top of a sequoia tree. I give birth to a baby. And every fiber of my being shouts "God." For me, the design implies a designer. I INTUIT agency behind the universe, and I intuit it very strongly.
That is Argument from Beauty. Unfortunately the universe is not beautiful, is chaotic. More than 99% of all species that ever lived on Earth, amounting to over five billion species, are estimated to have become extinct. It is estimated that there are currently around 8.7 million species of eukaryote globally.
On the other hand if one claims that God created the universe, because everything must have a creator, this leads to a problem of infinite regress wherein each new presumed creator of a creator is itself presumed to have its own creator. The theists' position that nobody created God is a wishful thinking that fails the logic which creationists proposed.

As for intuition, intuitive abilities were quantitatively tested at Yale University in the 1970s. While studying nonverbal communication, researchers noted that some subjects were able to read nonverbal facial cues before reinforcement occurred. In employing a similar design they noted that highly intuitive subjects made decisions quickly but could not identify their rationale. Their level of accuracy, however, did not differ from that of non-intuitive subjects. Intuition - Wikipedia

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I am a pure agnostic, neither an agnostic theist, nor an agnostic atheist. I simply don't know if there is a God, but I try to live with my own morality.

That is Argument from Beauty. Unfortunately the universe is not beautiful, is chaotic. More than 99% of all species that ever lived on Earth, amounting to over five billion species, are estimated to have become extinct. It is estimated that there are currently around 8.7 million species of eukaryote globally.
On the other hand if one claims that God created the universe, because everything must have a creator, this leads to a problem of infinite regress wherein each new presumed creator of a creator is itself presumed to have its own creator. The theists' position that nobody created God is a wishful thinking that fails the logic which creationists proposed.

As for intuition, intuitive abilities were quantitatively tested at Yale University in the 1970s. While studying nonverbal communication, researchers noted that some subjects were able to read nonverbal facial cues before reinforcement occurred. In employing a similar design they noted that highly intuitive subjects made decisions quickly but could not identify their rationale. Their level of accuracy, however, did not differ from that of non-intuitive subjects. Intuition - Wikipedia
I understand that the argument from beauty is insufficient. I think I was pretty clear that we can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God. My statement about being moved by the awe of the natural world was meant to be a description for why I opt to believe in God. It was never meant to be considered evidence.

Similarly, I have acknowledged the limitations of intuition, specifically the intuition to see agency. I explained that I fall back on intuition only when more reliable sources like science or reasoning are insufficient to reach a conclusion. Again, this was never meant to be a presentation of evidence, only an explanation, a description.

Be well. :)

Last edited: