• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AI Ritual?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
AI is scary powerful. It appears that the future is fake.

Prompt: write quarter calls that include offerings to the fairies

GPT-4: Sure, here are four quarter calls that include offerings to the fairies:

For the North:
"Hail to the guardians of the earth,
the spirits of the rocks and stones.
We offer you crystals and gems of great worth,
and sweet honey cakes baked on ancient stones."

For the East:
"Greetings to the spirits of the air,
fairies of the wind and birds that soar.
We offer you feathers that we find with care,
and fragrant incense to bless and adore."

For the South:
"Blessed be the spirits of the fire,
fairies of the flame and the hearth.
We offer you red wine and a burning desire,
and fresh flowers to bring joy and mirth."

For the West:
"Salutations to the spirits of the water,
fairies of the lakes and the streams.
We offer you shells and pearls from the bottom,
and ripe fruits as sweet as a fairy's dreams."

Re-Prompt: make them comedic

GPT-4: Certainly, here are some comedic quarter calls with offerings to the fairies:

For the North:
"Oh spirits of the earth, you rock stars you,
we come bearing crystals, shiny and new.
We also have honey cakes, sweet as can be,
just like us when we're in a fairy-like glee!"

For the East:
"Greetings fairies of the air, we have to confess,
your wings and feathers make us quite envious.
But fear not, we come bearing gifts so divine,
fragrant incense to make the air sublime."

For the South:
"Oh fairies of the flame, we honor your heat,
and the warmth and light that you bring is oh so sweet.
We offer you red wine, fit for a king,
and fresh flowers that'll make your heart sing."

For the West:
"Water fairies, you must be quite refreshed,
with all the lakes and streams you have caressed.
We bring you gifts from the bottom of the sea,
shells and pearls, fit for a queen or a king, just like thee."

These things make me very uncomfortable.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
GPT-4: Write a chant that can guide the timing of a maypole dance.

Round and round the maypole we go,
With ribbons weaving to and fro,
Sun and earth and sky we praise,
As we dance on Beltane days.

Underneath the bright blue sky,
We dance as flowers bloom nearby,
Maypole spinning in the breeze,
We weave our hopes and dreams with ease.

With each step we take and turn,
We honor the earth as seasons turn,
Summer's warmth and light we seek,
As we dance in harmony and peace.

Round and round we dance and sing,
As the maypole ribbons bring,
Joy and love and blessings bright,
On this sacred Beltane night.

So come and join our merry band,
Take a ribbon, take a hand,
Dance with us in perfect time,
And celebrate the Beltane rhyme.

GPT-4: Do that again, but keep it to 4 lines and specifically refer to the motions of dance.

Sure, here's a shorter chant that specifically refers to the motions of the maypole dance:

Round and round we go with grace,
Ribbons weaving in our space,
Over, under, in and out,
Maypole dance, we spin about!

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
What are your thoughts on these AI art and language models being used to supplant personal written ritual material?

Does this tech have a place in our space?

Bear Wild

GPT-4: Write a chant that can guide the timing of a maypole dance.

Round and round the maypole we go,
With ribbons weaving to and fro,
Sun and earth and sky we praise,
As we dance on Beltane days.

Underneath the bright blue sky,
We dance as flowers bloom nearby,
Maypole spinning in the breeze,
We weave our hopes and dreams with ease.

With each step we take and turn,
We honor the earth as seasons turn,
Summer's warmth and light we seek,
As we dance in harmony and peace.

Round and round we dance and sing,
As the maypole ribbons bring,
Joy and love and blessings bright,
On this sacred Beltane night.

So come and join our merry band,
Take a ribbon, take a hand,
Dance with us in perfect time,
And celebrate the Beltane rhyme.

GPT-4: Do that again, but keep it to 4 lines and specifically refer to the motions of dance.

Sure, here's a shorter chant that specifically refers to the motions of the maypole dance:

Round and round we go with grace,
Ribbons weaving in our space,
Over, under, in and out,
Maypole dance, we spin about!
AI is using whatever information it is fed. It is analyzing the feed for rituals it has access to and may make an original pattern and use rhyme for the rhythm. If you like it and it means something then yah go ahead but the AI does not understand ritual at all. It only creates new combinations from the resources it already has. It would seem that the effort put in to make your own and you can even make yours rhyme and I would be your symbolism and not random other peoples symbols. I suppose you could also use the patterns then substitute the symbols used. I would personally would go through the work of creation of the ritual to have greater meaning to me.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I mean, so-called AI is basically a glorified plagiarism tool; all it does is steal content from humans and repackage it. Most importantly, all it does is create product while ignoring the importance of process. In a culture that obsesses about products over processes, these plagiarism tools will find their home. All the while missing that the entire point of life in general is the journey, not the destination (which is death).

I won't say inspiration can't come from plagiarized works. It can and it does. But the problem with cheaters and plagiarism is in that it robs the cheater of the learning and experience that comes with doing the actual work - the journey.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
hmmmm....as an animist, I must recognize that AI are other-than-human persons, too...
Personally, I do not consider a computer program to be a person any more than I would consider the set of neurons in my brain that govern my breathing to be a person.

See:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Personally, I do not consider a computer program to be a person any more than I would consider the set of neurons in my brain that govern my breathing to be a person.

See:

well, I see humans, and everything else, as colonial beings, made up lots and lots of constantly interacting/blending/changing component entities...software and computer and internet and operator all combine into one person, one entity, if only for a few moments. My car and I blend together while I am driving it, even as we separate again when the driving is done. The thoughts I have are temporary persons, too, and sometimes become semi-independent of me on paper, on the computer/internet, in a recording.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
well, I see humans, and everything else, as colonial beings, made up lots and lots of constantly interacting/blending/changing component entities...software and computer and internet and operator all combine into one person, one entity, if only for a few moments. My car and I blend together while I am driving it, even as we separate again when the driving is done. The thoughts I have are temporary persons, too, and sometimes become semi-independent of me on paper, on the computer/internet, in a recording.
That is an interesting way to look at it - to better acknowledge the relationships and interconnectivity of all things. Animistic cultures didn't all agree with one another on what did and did not constitute a person, which is interesting to think about. From what I understand, a lot of it boiled down to the nature of the relationships that were both possible and present between things. I was reading something from an indigenous writer the other day where she remarked she had a hard time seeing the spirit or personhood in things that had undergone significant manufacturing from their "natural state" so to speak. They were disconnected from the lands from whence they came. Artificed. The energy of manufactured chimera things has definitely felt different to me too, but it is not something I focus on in my path. All I know is last weekend when I was doing some hardscaping I hated the energy of the manufactured poop bricks and then went to find some real actual rocks to use instead... haha.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
That is an interesting way to look at it - to better acknowledge the relationships and interconnectivity of all things. Animistic cultures didn't all agree with one another on what did and did not constitute a person, which is interesting to think about. From what I understand, a lot of it boiled down to the nature of the relationships that were both possible and present between things. I was reading something from an indigenous writer the other day where she remarked she had a hard time seeing the spirit or personhood in things that had undergone significant manufacturing from their "natural state" so to speak. They were disconnected from the lands from whence they came. Artificed. The energy of manufactured chimera things has definitely felt different to me too, but it is not something I focus on in my path. All I know is last weekend when I was doing some hardscaping I hated the energy of the manufactured poop bricks and then went to find some real actual rocks to use instead... haha.
I also recognize the difficulty of always seeing the personhood of things, relationships and processes. Sometimes I perceive personhood in the environment, but cannot articulate exactly what are contributing to that quite possibly temporary person. One example is whirlwinds.

As for manufactured things...they, too, are persons...there are also persons who are the result of the process who are not useful, not the intended product/person of the process, but have to be considered...mine and mill tailings, for example, which never seem to be happy things or places in my experience...but the intended products/persons often are quite distinct persons to me, and want to be used and helpful...of course, some don't...and some are created for purposes that may harm OTHER persons...some are so poorly made and with such poor intent...'artificed' seems like a good word, indeed...

☆Dreamwind☆

Prompt discussion: The comedic version did bring a grin to my face.

alt-command: Readying [target] The Hammer for Initiation rites [borg assimilation]

Query: Bring honeycakes made of gems?

Seriously though, ai works are laaaame. Whoever made them ought to be ashamed of themselves, and was probably the kid who always got caught copying classmates tests.