• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ancient Astronauts: Fact or Fiction?

cardero

Citizen Mod
Has our history been visited by ancient astronauts?

Are the documented writings of past civilizations the result of over-active imaginations or were we indeed in contact with technologically advanced entities who displayed intelligence far beyond the understanding of primitive man?

Can ancient artifacts, writings, paintings, geographical structures like the pyramids, Stonehenge, Nazca lines lend credibility that we may have had help in our intellectual and social evolution?

kai

ragamuffin
i would love for this to be true, but i am afraid its more than likely to be untrue. but who knows really?

A

angellous_evangellous

It's possible.

Are the documented writings of past civilizations the result of over-active imaginations or were we indeed in contact with technologically advanced entities who displayed intelligence far beyond the understanding of primitive man?

I've read a considerable amount of ancient literature, and I've seen nothing to suggest that we've been visited by intelligences greater than our own.

Can ancient artifacts, writings, paintings, geographical structures like the pyramids, Stonehenge, Nazca lines lend credibility that we may have had help in our intellectual and social evolution?

Nope.

A

angellous_evangellous

Apparently that's not a very challenging threshold.

Not sure what you mean, Jay... but that could be your point. :D

EDIT: I simply wonder if cardero has read ancient literature extensively, along with archeaological reports, etc., and uses this as a basis for concluding that they are somehow evidence for a greater intelligence (like alien beings who can manipulate space and time).

I can certianly relate to Patrick's wonder at some of the great accomplishments of humanity - especially the archetectual achievements that we cannot replicate with "more advanced" technology (like the pyramids, the temple of Artemis, and other Roman structures). But the testimony as a whole has the fingerprints of human frailty. Concluding that these materials indicate greater intelligence is a significant error in my opinion...

Last edited by a moderator:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
EDIT: I simply wonder if cardero has read ancient literature extensively, along with archeaological reports, etc., and uses this as a basis for concluding that they are somehow evidence for a greater intelligence (like alien beings who can manipulate space and time).

I can certianly relate to Patrick's wonder at some of the great accomplishments of humanity - especially the archetectual achievements that we cannot replicate with "more advanced" technology (like the pyramids, the temple of Artemis, and other Roman structures). But the testimony as a whole has the fingerprints of human frailty. Concluding that these materials indicate greater intelligence is a significant error in my opinion...
How is the ability to "manipulate space and time" an indication of greater intelligence? Is it because we can't do it?

tomspug

Absorbant
Totally off topic, but this reminded me of the lady I bought my car from, who believed that not only were Stargates real, but she had actually visited other galaxies using them. Scary!

A

angellous_evangellous

How is the ability to "manipulate space and time" an indication of greater intelligence? Is it because we can't do it?

Pretty much. If beings from another world could have visited earth at any point from now back into ancient times, they are far superior to us.

A

angellous_evangellous

Totally off topic, but this reminded me of the lady I bought my car from, who believed that not only were Stargates real, but she had actually visited other galaxies using them. Scary!

.... but was she hot? :confused:

So a race of extraterrestrials so incredibly advanced they can travel between stars came to our planet thousands of years ago to build buildings out of... local sandstone? Sandstone.

gnomon

I see no credible evidence that Stonehenge, they pyramids or the Nazca lines support the concept of ancient astronauts. All of these were firmly within the technological capabilities of the human beings at that time.

Have you been reading Graham Hancock?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Personally, I think that these sorts of claims don't give "primitive man" enough credit. Even ancient societies had the ability to do some pretty astonishing things.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So a race of extraterrestrials so incredibly advanced they can travel between stars came to our planet thousands of years ago to build buildings out of... local sandstone? Sandstone.

Yeah, it's an insult to human resourcefulness and ingenuity to suggest such ancient structures had to be extra terrestrial in origin. If they were from aliens with the technology to travel through space, I would expect vastly complex and elaborate structures made from exotic alloys and such.

A

angellous_evangellous

Yeah, it's an insult to human resourcefulness and ingenuity to suggest such ancient structures had to be extra terrestrial in origin. If they were from aliens with the technology to travel through space, I would expect vastly complex and elaborate structures made from exotic alloys and such.

But if they gave us their technology, wouldn't that enable us to be a threat to them?

It wouldn't be in their best interests to teach us anything.