• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Practitioner of Meditation and Mindfulness

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Inspired by this thread, I thought I would start an interview thread specifically focused on my meditation practice.

Some background to get this started:
  • I have been practicing meditation and mindfulness since late 2017, and my practice has expanded a lot since then to incorporate more techniques and also become more embedded in my daily habits.
  • The bases and inspirations of my practice are DBT, Zen Buddhism, and some of Thich Nhat Hanh's experiences and advice based on his lifelong peace activism and practice of meditation and mindfulness.
  • Some of the techniques I use are visualization, anchoring in the present moment (mainly using breathing and slight body movements), and acceptance of the imperfection and impermanence in the world.
  • The main goals of my meditation include acceptance of what I cannot change, focusing on doing my best to care for myself and others where and when I can, fostering compassion as well as dissolving any hatred, and maintaining mental stability. Thankfully, I have never been prone to much anger in the first place, so meditating to eliminate anger has always been easy for me.
Feel free to ask any questions!

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I guess I would start by asking how much you've been able to obtain your main goals, and if those main goals have been fulfilling in improving the quality of your life?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess I would start by asking how much you've been able to obtain your main goals, and if those main goals have been fulfilling in improving the quality of your life?

My practice has immensely helped me in terms of mental health and quality of life. It was the main reason my psychiatrist decided I could manage well without medication, too, and that has been a marked improvement so far compared to previous years.

As for fulfilling my main goals, I don't think of the practice of meditation and mindfulness as something with a definite end point or something that should end after one has attained a specific benefit. Rather, I view it like continually watering a plant so that it flourishes and becomes protected from withering. The main goal is to maintain the practice as long as it is beneficial for one's health and peace of mind; there's no magical cut-off point after which one can simply stop meditating or being mindful.

The Sum of Awe

You’ve mentioned in another thread that you practice mindfulness while doing easy tasks like the dishes.

How do you separate controlling your thoughts from controlling your temperament? How do separate that from being detached from your emotions? For example, if something happens that terribly upsets you but feeling it in the moment would distract you from something important and/or make you lose your cool and act foolishly, so you choose to set it aside for when you can feel. How do you decide when to come back to it? Choosing to think into painful things can lead you down a negative rabbit hole, no? If you sense that the thoughts you’re having right now will lead to negative emotions, but you have the ability to think of other things instead, isn’t it better to change the thought line?

And when you’re feeling your feelings how long do you let them go on for?

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have seen (on television) a demonstration of a man remaining calm while handling red-hot steel chain. I have heard of protestors remaining calm while burning themselves alive. This is accomplished through some form of meditation or so they claim. Do you believe it?

Do you believe that a person could live continually in a heightened state of awareness? What powers could be possible for them?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
You’ve mentioned in another thread that you practice mindfulness while doing easy tasks like the dishes.

Correct. I don't always do that, but I've increasingly been incorporating it into my daily routine.

How do you separate controlling your thoughts from controlling your temperament?

Thoughts are the product of our mind's activity. Temperament is our response to our thoughts and surroundings. There's a major difference, although it can be subtle. Sometimes there's also a lot of overlap between the regulation of both, however. (I say "regulation" rather than "control" because there's also a difference between these two things.)

I don't try to control my thoughts themselves, nor my temperament. Instead, my focus is on adjusting my mindset and perspective so that the thoughts that arise within my mind continue to become healthier, better at adapting to various circumstances and surroundings, and less conducive to suffering and discomfort.

I take a similar approach regarding my temperament: I've never been prone to anger in the first place (which I'm thankful for), but I'm much more focused on adjusting my mindset so that I don't need to control my temperament in the first place. Two of my practices are acceptance of what I can't change and reduction or elimination of expectations. Often, when someone gets angry at something or someone else, it's either because of unmet expectations, unmet desires, or a lack of acceptance of what has just happened. In a lot of situations, this is healthy, perfectly understandable, and perfectly normal. It's no reason to be ashamed, nor is it a reason to feel guilty.

A personal and major example of applying the above in my own life has been regarding the society I come from. Up until a few years ago, I used to harbor a lot of resentment, bitterness, and hostility toward many people where I live because of their worldviews, which include a lot of aspects that entail viewing people like me and others I care about as undeserving of basic rights, immoral, dishonest, etc. That was also the time when I was highly supportive of "New Atheism," mainly because I saw it as an outlet for how I felt at the time.

But nowadays, I accept that such beliefs are the result of human nature (especially human tribalism, proneness to acceptance of the familiar over the unfamiliar, and the powerful influences of upbringing and social reinforcement) and material conditions (e.g., history, culture, economy, education, and geopolitics, among other things) that I simply can't change.

It helps to put things into perspective by considering that throughout history, various cultures have had positive attitudes toward certain groups and negative attitudes toward others, and what I'm experiencing is part of a perpetual cycle in human communities and cultures. There's no use for me to feel bitter or resentful about it, although the feeling would, in my opinion, be understandable. Being understandable doesn't always mean being beneficial.

This is where the issue of control versus regulation comes in: controlling such feelings as resentment, bitterness, and hostility implies that one is experiencing those feelings in the first place—and to an extent where one needs to control them. Trying to "control" those emotions, in this case, seems to me an exercise in suppression of emotions, which is an unhealthy thing. Instead, examining the root causes of the emotions is a much sounder way of handling them and working on reducing or removing the negative effects thereof.

In this case, the root causes included unmet expectations and desires (e.g., the desire that most people where I live would have more progressive or more accepting views) and insufficient acknowledgement that I couldn't control the status quo of society. But what if those expectations are no longer there? What if I accept that, by sheer accumulation of numerous factors that I can't change or control, I'm in this situation right now, and there are things I can do and things I can't do about it? Accepting that a situation is currently a certain way doesn't have to entail not doing anything about it, nor does it mean being complacent or refusing to act toward change (e.g., moving to another society).

Another part of my practice is the view that emotions try to tell us something; they carry a message to us. However, we don't have to hold on to the emotions after we have received and understood the message. When I feel stress about an upcoming interview, that feeling is telling me to prepare well and do my best. After understanding this message, I have no reason to hold on to the stress. I can acknowledge it, allow myself to feel it, and then let it flow away.

This is the difference between suppression and regulation of emotions. I like using the example of aerodynamics in cars: look at the difference between these two vehicles. The first one is the 2013 McLaren P1, a high-performance supercar, or "hypercar," with then-groundbreaking performance figures:

main-qimg-5980da779ca1ff72c2efff08fbb86aba-pjlq

The second one is a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter, one of the vehicles in the company's range of vans:

Report-_Update_4_Van-1024x704.jpg

As you can see in the above illustrations, the way each of them reacts to airflow against and around the vehicle is very different. Both could be driving under identical conditions on the same street, but they would handle airflow very differently because of their aerodynamics.

I picture thoughts in a similar way: when they float in or around our mind, we don't have to avoid them or "control" them. We can acknowledge them and allow ourselves to feel the emotions arising from them. However, the key is to let them flow away without bringing us down or, as in the case of the two abovementioned vehicles, slow us down. The McLaren is much faster than the Mercedes van for multiple reasons, including its more efficient aerodynamics. Similarly, I think meditation, mindfulness, and adjustment of perspective can allow us to improve our handling of thoughts and emotions.

How do separate that from being detached from your emotions? For example, if something happens that terribly upsets you but feeling it in the moment would distract you from something important and/or make you lose your cool and act foolishly, so you choose to set it aside for when you can feel. How do you decide when to come back to it?

One of the most important things a therapist has ever told me was, "You don't need to be stress-free in order to function and focus on a present task." Of course, there are varying degrees of intensity when it comes to an event that upsets someone, so sometimes one's approach would have to vary according to the situation at hand.

However, I usually don't find myself methodically setting a feeling aside and then deciding when to allow myself to feel it. I just try to focus on the present moment and finish what I have to do; if what happened was significant, the feeling itself tends to come back to the fore later on without any need for me to specifically pick a time for that.

This ties into my response to the previous question: if I find myself feeling that I may act foolishly because something upset me, I will examine the root causes of such a reaction and work on those. It can take a lot of practice, but over time, it is possible not to feel that way anymore even under intense pressure. At that point, you don't need to "set aside" the feeling per se; you can feel it and still manage to carry out the present tasks. The difference is in how much your mind is focused on it, not in whether you allow yourself to feel it at all.

Choosing to think into painful things can lead you down a negative rabbit hole, no? If you sense that the thoughts you’re having right now will lead to negative emotions, but you have the ability to think of other things instead, isn’t it better to change the thought line?

That depends on the thoughts and why I'm having them. Dwelling on painful thoughts is definitely unhealthy, and learning to avoid that habit is a crucial part of mindfulness. As I said above, it is sufficient to understand the message the painful feeling is bringing and let the thoughts flow away afterward. A lot of thoughts are pointless to explore, and as you said, they can lead down a negative rabbit hole of overthinking, distraction, and unnecessary suffering.

But sometimes necessary thoughts can also be painful, in which case I think it's better to either delay thinking about them until we're in a better state of mind or to continue thinking about them but adjust our perspective in a way that allows us to do what's necessary without being overwhelmed by pain.

Whenever I had my monthly break and went home during my conscription period, I would feel extremely burdened by the thought that I would have to go back within a few days. At the same time, I had to think about going back, because there are a lot of things you need to prepare for before going to your unit (e.g., buying a bunch of hygiene products, taking enough money with you, etc.). Over time, I had to learn to look at the root causes of my feelings instead of setting aside the necessary thoughts about going back.

The thoughts were painful because of an unmet expectation (i.e., wishing I could stay home and not have to go back) and a lack of acceptance of a situation I couldn't change (i.e., being conscripted to begin with). I couldn't change my situation at the time, but I could work on my perspective and apply the same approach to many situations other than that specific one.

One important thing to consider is that sometimes all we do by switching our focus to another thought is that we suppress and bury painful thoughts instead of dealing with their root causes, acknowledging the thoughts, and letting them flow away. My mind doesn't have to be free of negative thoughts; it has to be free of the long-term pain and distraction that many negative thoughts can cause. There's a vast difference between allowing ourselves to feel something in the moment and dwelling on it long after the initial thought has left us.

And when you’re feeling your feelings how long do you let them go on for?

I aim to feel them for as long as doing so is productive and conducive to positive goals (but I don't always succeed in that; I believe meditation and mindfulness are lifelong practices with continual room for allowing us to improve our perspective and state of mind). Once feeling them becomes more conducive to suffering, distraction, or any other negative outcome than it is useful, I try to work on letting them fade away.

There are exceptions, such as love and empathy, but even those sometimes require reining in because they, like any other emotion, can become counterproductive if not regulated with mindfulness and awareness. An example of this is when someone reads negative or tragic news and finds themselves being so weighed down by the state of the world that they feel paralyzed and unable to help anyone or do anything. It's good that they have empathy, but it's also important to regulate its expression so that it can be channeled toward positive action (when one can do something to help) and productive thinking instead of merely weighing one down.

This was very long, but your questions here explore great and thought-provoking subjects. I didn't feel I would sufficiently answer them otherwise.

I hope you find this post helpful!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I have seen (on television) a demonstration of a man remaining calm while handling red-hot steel chain. I have heard of protestors remaining calm while burning themselves alive. This is accomplished through some form of meditation or so they claim. Do you believe it?

I do believe that specific mental practices, including meditation, can enable people to remain calm through extreme situations, but I also believe that reaching the point of being calm through certain situations (e.g., being burned anywhere on the body) is an extraordinarily advanced level of practice, and it's not something I would expect of the vast majority of people.

The picture of Thich Quang Duc's self-immolation, in which he looks perfectly calm and unfazed while burning alive, is an example of this, and it is an especially famous picture that anyone can see for themselves. I'm not going to link it here (due to the graphic nature of the act it shows and the fact that it is easily accessible via a Google search), but I will link a post about the backstory of the picture for further context about it:

I don't believe there's any supernatural aspect to the effects of such practices on some people's calmness and composure; I think that they merely help a subset of people to regulate and manipulate their thoughts and feelings by employing techniques based on various understandings of how the human mind functions.

Do you believe that a person could live continually in a heightened state of awareness? What powers could be possible for them?

That depends on what you mean by "heightened state of awareness"; I believe someone could reach a point where they're mindful more often than they're not. Some outcomes of this could be greater composure, reduction in suffering, improved ability to focus on and finish tasks, and better mental health.

However, I also believe that mindfulness and meditation are not necessarily the best approaches for everyone, nor should everyone be expected to practice them as a way of coping with problems in life or with mental health issues.

Is mindfulness helpful for everyone?​

Studies show that mindfulness can help with stress, anxiety and depression. More research is needed to show whether it helps with other mental health conditions.

Many people find mindfulness helpful, but it's not right for everyone. Some people find that it does not help them, or that it can make them feel worse.

Therapeutic approaches that employ mindfulness, such as DBT and CBT, are not suitable for everyone either, and there are many other types of therapy that professionals recommend based on the specific situation of the person they're treating.

The Sum of Awe

Correct. I don't always do that, but I've increasingly been incorporating it into my daily routine.

Thoughts are the product of our mind's activity. Temperament is our response to our thoughts and surroundings. There's a major difference, although it can be subtle. Sometimes there's also a lot of overlap between the regulation of both, however. (I say "regulation" rather than "control" because there's also a difference between these two things.)

I don't try to control my thoughts themselves, nor my temperament. Instead, my focus is on adjusting my mindset and perspective so that the thoughts that arise within my mind continue to become healthier, better at adapting to various circumstances and surroundings, and less conducive to suffering and discomfort.
Sort of like becoming stronger from bad experiences? Handling negative emotions like weights and to strengthen yourself with them, would you say?
I take a similar approach regarding my temperament: I've never been prone to anger in the first place (which I'm thankful for), but I'm much more focused on adjusting my mindset so that I don't need to control my temperament in the first place. Two of my practices are acceptance of what I can't change and reduction or elimination of expectations. Often, when someone gets angry at something or someone else, it's either because of unmet expectations, unmet desires, or a lack of acceptance of what has just happened. In a lot of situations, this is healthy, perfectly understandable, and perfectly normal. It's no reason to be ashamed, nor is it a reason to feel guilty.
I practice those virtues as well (acceptance of what I can't change and reduction of expectations). I have always expected there to come a time when things stop bothering me and I can always accept what I can't change and I can have no expectations whatsoever, but maybe that's an expectation I should eliminate ;) I do believe I've made much emotional progress in myself, though.

Do you believe those practices could be perfected? Or do you think you will always have times where you don't initially accept a situation, or times where you have high expectations for a result and it disappoints you? (and I am talking about severe things rather than things that you could shrug off in a day or two).
A personal and major example of applying the above in my own life has been regarding the society I come from. Up until a few years ago, I used to harbor a lot of resentment, bitterness, and hostility toward many people where I live because of their worldviews, which include a lot of aspects that entail viewing people like me and others I care about as undeserving of basic rights, immoral, dishonest, etc. That was also the time when I was highly supportive of "New Atheism," mainly because I saw it as an outlet for how I felt at the time.

But nowadays, I accept that such beliefs are the result of human nature (especially human tribalism, proneness to acceptance of the familiar over the unfamiliar, and the powerful influences of upbringing and social reinforcement) and material conditions (e.g., history, culture, economy, education, and geopolitics, among other things) that I simply can't change.
I sometimes forget that you are in a more extremist area than I am. That would surely be difficult to accept. That's very strong of you to be able to do so. Are there any like-minded progressive people that you know that you can relate your beliefs and stresses to? Does your family know of your progressive side?
It helps to put things into perspective by considering that throughout history, various cultures have had positive attitudes toward certain groups and negative attitudes toward others, and what I'm experiencing is part of a perpetual cycle in human communities and cultures. There's no use for me to feel bitter or resentful about it, although the feeling would, in my opinion, be understandable. Being understandable doesn't always mean being beneficial.

This is where the issue of control versus regulation comes in: controlling such feelings as resentment, bitterness, and hostility implies that one is experiencing those feelings in the first place—and to an extent where one needs to control them. Trying to "control" those emotions, in this case, seems to me an exercise in suppression of emotions, which is an unhealthy thing. Instead, examining the root causes of the emotions is a much sounder way of handling them and working on reducing or removing the negative effects thereof.
Ah, I see. It sounds to me that trying to control the emotions themselves is a suppression, whereas feeling the emotions but not letting them make you make negative decisions (becoming bitter, having a fit, stop taking care of important things, overspending, etc) is the better method?

In this case, the root causes included unmet expectations and desires (e.g., the desire that most people where I live would have more progressive or more accepting views) and insufficient acknowledgement that I couldn't control the status quo of society. But what if those expectations are no longer there? What if I accept that, by sheer accumulation of numerous factors that I can't change or control, I'm in this situation right now, and there are things I can do and things I can't do about it? Accepting that a situation is currently a certain way doesn't have to entail not doing anything about it, nor does it mean being complacent or refusing to act toward change (e.g., moving to another society).
I agree! Is that your plan is to move to another society at some point? Where would you like to move to?
Another part of my practice is the view that emotions try to tell us something; they carry a message to us. However, we don't have to hold on to the emotions after we have received and understood the message. When I feel stress about an upcoming interview, that feeling is telling me to prepare well and do my best. After understanding this message, I have no reason to hold on to the stress. I can acknowledge it, allow myself to feel it, and then let it flow away.
What if a certain emotion continues to return? Certainly you'd understand its message after some point, but it's something outside of your control. It may not flow away for days. In these cases, would you say it's better to focus on things that make you feel better? Going for a walk, thinking of other things, focusing on tasks, watching a show? etc.?
This is the difference between suppression and regulation of emotions. I like using the example of aerodynamics in cars: look at the difference between these two vehicles. The first one is the 2013 McLaren P1, a high-performance supercar, or "hypercar," with then-groundbreaking performance figures:

main-qimg-5980da779ca1ff72c2efff08fbb86aba-pjlq

The second one is a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter, one of the vehicles in the company's range of vans:

Report-_Update_4_Van-1024x704.jpg

As you can see in the above illustrations, the way each of them reacts to airflow against and around the vehicle is very different. Both could be driving under identical conditions on the same street, but they would handle airflow very differently because of their aerodynamics.

I picture thoughts in a similar way: when they float in or around our mind, we don't have to avoid them or "control" them. We can acknowledge them and allow ourselves to feel the emotions arising from them. However, the key is to let them flow away without bringing us down or, as in the case of the two abovementioned vehicles, slow us down. The McLaren is much faster than the Mercedes van for multiple reasons, including its more efficient aerodynamics. Similarly, I think meditation, mindfulness, and adjustment of perspective can allow us to improve our handling of thoughts and emotions.
Good analogy!
One important thing to consider is that sometimes all we do by switching our focus to another thought is that we suppress and bury painful thoughts instead of dealing with their root causes, acknowledging the thoughts, and letting them flow away. My mind doesn't have to be free of negative thoughts; it has to be free of the long-term pain and distraction that many negative thoughts can cause. There's a vast difference between allowing ourselves to feel something in the moment and dwelling on it long after the initial thought has left us.
How do you feel about recurring thoughts/negative emotions? As I mentioned earlier, surely you already know the message. Should one think through them anyways, and just be mindful to not sink into a rabbit hole?
I aim to feel them for as long as doing so is productive and conducive to positive goals (but I don't always succeed in that; I believe meditation and mindfulness are lifelong practices with continual room for allowing us to improve our perspective and state of mind). Once feeling them becomes more conducive to suffering, distraction, or any other negative outcome than it is useful, I try to work on letting them fade away.

There are exceptions, such as love and empathy, but even those sometimes require reining in because they, like any other emotion, can become counterproductive if not regulated with mindfulness and awareness. An example of this is when someone reads negative or tragic news and finds themselves being so weighed down by the state of the world that they feel paralyzed and unable to help anyone or do anything. It's good that they have empathy, but it's also important to regulate its expression so that it can be channeled toward positive action (when one can do something to help) and productive thinking instead of merely weighing one down.

This was very long, but your questions here explore great and thought-provoking subjects. I didn't feel I would sufficiently answer them otherwise.

I hope you find this post helpful!
Thank you for your in depth answers! This has been very helpful!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I've been a meditator now going on 5 decades (I lied. It's only 49 years.) and am greatly impressed by your thread, @Debater Slayer

Meditation and mindfulness helped enormously dealing with the stress of being in confinement. Sleep is often difficult while in prison and was a common complaint I ran into. Meditating for 3 to 5 hours at night replaced my natural sleep cycle. In the morning, I was never as refreshed as I would had I slept well, but the extended meditation gave me the energy to see me through my work day. Plus the guards seemed to get a kick out of seeing some looney inmate sitting in the 1/2 Lotus (I'm old) position on his "bed" at 3 am and still in the same positon hours later.

Keep up the great work.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Inspired by this thread, I thought I would start an interview thread specifically focused on my meditation practice.

Some background to get this started:
  • I have been practicing meditation and mindfulness since late 2017, and my practice has expanded a lot since then to incorporate more techniques and also become more embedded in my daily habits.
  • The bases and inspirations of my practice are DBT, Zen Buddhism, and some of Thich Nhat Hanh's experiences and advice based on his lifelong peace activism and practice of meditation and mindfulness.
  • Some of the techniques I use are visualization, anchoring in the present moment (mainly using breathing and slight body movements), and acceptance of the imperfection and impermanence in the world.
  • The main goals of my meditation include acceptance of what I cannot change, focusing on doing my best to care for myself and others where and when I can, fostering compassion as well as dissolving any hatred, and maintaining mental stability. Thankfully, I have never been prone to much anger in the first place, so meditating to eliminate anger has always been easy for me.
There's a rumor that you pulled all the kapok out of your zafu and replaced it entirely with styrofoam peanuts.

Why?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been a meditator now going on 5 decades (I lied. It's only 49 years.) and am greatly impressed by your thread, @Debater Slayer

Meditation and mindfulness helped enormously dealing with the stress of being in confinement. Sleep is often difficult while in prison and was a common complaint I ran into. Meditating for 3 to 5 hours at night replaced my natural sleep cycle. In the morning, I was never as refreshed as I would had I slept well, but the extended meditation gave me the energy to see me through my work day. Plus the guards seemed to get a kick out of seeing some looney inmate sitting in the 1/2 Lotus (I'm old) position on his "bed" at 3 am and still in the same positon hours later.

Keep up the great work.

I just saw this. Thanks for the kind words!

I can imagine how much meditation helped you in that situation. One thing I particularly appreciate about it is that it requires no external tools, no money, and no special preparation. All you need to do is be with your own mind and learn how to master it, anywhere and anytime.

I can think of very few things as powerful or empowering as that.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Sort of like becoming stronger from bad experiences? Handling negative emotions like weights and to strengthen yourself with them, would you say?

Just saw this post. Sorry!

I wouldn't say that bad experiences per se are the source of the strength, although persevering through them sometimes requires significant resilience. More precisely, I would say that knowing how to learn from difficult experiences is a core skill.

If I go through 20 bad experiences and come out focusing on the wrong emotions or deriving the wrong conclusions from them, they probably won't make me stronger. On the other hand, just two difficult experiences can teach one many valuable lessons if one knows what to focus on and how to learn from their experiences.

I practice those virtues as well (acceptance of what I can't change and reduction of expectations). I have always expected there to come a time when things stop bothering me and I can always accept what I can't change and I can have no expectations whatsoever, but maybe that's an expectation I should eliminate ;) I do believe I've made much emotional progress in myself, though.

It's an ongoing process, in my opinion. As long as one keeps working on it, I believe they're on the right track. They may need to optimize or improve their techniques and approaches in response to different circumstances, but the core principle of learning from experiences and regulating one's faculties is the same.

Do you believe those practices could be perfected? Or do you think you will always have times where you don't initially accept a situation, or times where you have high expectations for a result and it disappoints you? (and I am talking about severe things rather than things that you could shrug off in a day or two).

I believe they could be mastered to the point where, in a practical sense, one would have almost perfected them—which I believe is the most a person can do. That could take a lifetime for some people, though, and I don't know where I will be in my practice in, say, 20 or 30 years. I try to focus on doing my best now instead of thinking about ultimate points or possibilities in the distant future.

I sometimes forget that you are in a more extremist area than I am. That would surely be difficult to accept.

It is difficult, especially because it can constitute an active safety threat rather than a mere inconvenience if you're not alert or careful enough about who you associate with and to what extent.

That's very strong of you to be able to do so. Are there any like-minded progressive people that you know that you can relate your beliefs and stresses to?

Yes! I have a relatively small like-minded social circle with whom I hang out fairly regularly. I also have several close online friends.

I'm quite selective about who I trust or become close to, and so are most of my closer friends. Several people might not seem like many but is actually a significant number considering the extent of our bond and how much we trust each other.

Does your family know of your progressive side?

They do except for my lack of belief, which would be a definite red line, and a few other beliefs that I keep from them. We also avoid discussing such topics except very rarely.

We get along very well, and they're really loving and caring. I've been quite lucky in terms of my home life.

Ah, I see. It sounds to me that trying to control the emotions themselves is a suppression, whereas feeling the emotions but not letting them make you make negative decisions (becoming bitter, having a fit, stop taking care of important things, overspending, etc) is the better method?

Yes, I believe so. We will never be emotionless robots, but we can practice regulation of the emotions that arise and temper our responses to them.

I agree! Is that your plan is to move to another society at some point?

Absolutely. It's currently my main life goal.

Where would you like to move to?

I wouldn't say no to any developed country if the opportunity arose, but if I could choose, I would move to Australia, the UK, or the Netherlands, in that order. Canada or New Zealand would be decent too.

What if a certain emotion continues to return? Certainly you'd understand its message after some point, but it's something outside of your control. It may not flow away for days. In these cases, would you say it's better to focus on things that make you feel better? Going for a walk, thinking of other things, focusing on tasks, watching a show? etc.?

Distractions can help, but the answer to your question also heavily depends on the context of the recurring emotions and why they recur.

One of my primary recurrent emotions is the feeling of being stuck where I live, sometimes accompanied by a noticeable amount of despondency. When it persists for a few days or longer, I usually seek distractions such as the ones you listed, rely on countering the emotion with logic and reason (e.g., reminding myself that my chances of leaving are much higher than those of most people where I live), and remind myself that it will dissipate unless I dwell on it and pursue it instead of letting it pass.

This can be much harder in practice than in theory, and it is one reason I believe it is impossible to truly put one's practice to the test unless one has used it during times of immense difficulty. Sometimes you hurt so much that challenging your emotions feels like closing a door to stop an avalanche from engulfing your house. The key is not to close the door; it's to remind yourself (general "yourself") that there are reasons to believe the avalanche won't sweep you or, in some cases, that what our emotions see as an avalanche may just be a bit of rainfall. This is not to minimize the extent of the difficulty by any means; it's only to remind oneself that it is surmountable and temporary.

Good analogy!

How do you feel about recurring thoughts/negative emotions? As I mentioned earlier, surely you already know the message. Should one think through them anyways, and just be mindful to not sink into a rabbit hole?

What I said above applies here. Once you have thought them through at least once or twice, you usually don't need to keep pursuing them. Being mindful not to sink into a rabbit hole, as you put it, is indeed an essential skill in such situations.

Thank you for your in depth answers! This has been very helpful!

No problem! I love talking about this subject, and I'm glad you've found the answers helpful.