• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheism and morality

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
While i agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, its safe to say that atheism doesnt have morals. Morals come from believing in a law, but all law its divinely inspired and has divine origin.
Morals existed before religion. Ideas of fairness and acceptable behavior aren't even confined to humans.
Laws are written my men, for their own ends. People then evoke God to justify them.
Religious "morality" tends to be deontological. Most atheists are more consequentialist.

I suspect many Christians have a weak, if any, internalized morality. They rely on an external rule book -- an external, ethical crutch -- instead.

Their projected belief that without God's promises and threats we'd run amok is telling. They're constrained more by their fear of God than by compassion and concern with the welfare of others.

I suspect your average atheist is more compassionate, more just, and more fair than you're average religious.
Many actions, commands, and judgements attributed to God, in the Bible, are cruel, impulsive, and unjust.

Law does not create morality. If there is a divinely decreed morality, why do concepts of morality vary so widely?
The human conscience comes from having a human spirit. This is something given by God.
You're preaching.
This is why animals do things without any mental warning or regret, when they do something wrong or terrible. The animal kingdom has no justice system. Nothing does but us.
You need to read up on your ethology, I think.

Audie

Veteran Member
While i agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, its safe to say that atheism doesnt have morals. Morals come from believing in a law, but all law its divinely inspired and has divine origin. The human conscience comes from having a human spirit. This is something given by God. This is why animals do things without any mental warning or regret, when they do something wrong or terrible. The animal kingdom has no justice system. Nothing does but us.
Safe in that no atheist will excommunicated
you or burn you at the stake.

"safe to say" as in " fact ", no.