• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australian Cops In The News

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So many stories from Ameristan.
But I've been remiss addressing the posters down undah.
Apparently the copper has been suspended (unfortunately with pay) but is otherwise being charged with grievous bodily harm and assault among other charges

I’m not sure how long the pay will continue, it’s probably just standard procedure during inquiry. But whatever

I hope they throw the book at the dog, personally

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Apparently the copper has been suspended (unfortunately with pay) but is otherwise being charged with grievous bodily harm and assault among other charges

I’m not sure how long the pay will continue, it’s probably just standard procedure during inquiry. But whatever

I hope they throw the book at the dog, personally

Civilian assaults someone, & they're immediately arrested & jailed.
Cop assaults someone, & they get a paid vacation.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Civilian assaults someone, & they're immediately arrested & jailed.
Cop assaults someone, & they get a paid vacation.
It's pretty standard procedure in a variety of professional settings whilst investigations are occurring, and falls within 'innocent until proven guilty'.
The same would happen for a teacher accused of pedophilia.
The more important thing is that the investigation is free and full, and justice is served.

The woman has now passed away due to head trauma sustained in the incident and there are calls for the charges to be upgraded to murder, which is possible.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's pretty standard procedure in a variety of professional settings whilst investigations are occurring, and falls within 'innocent until proven guilty'.
Yet civilians accused of assault are arrested & jailed,
unless they're allowed & able to post bond. And no
one pays their wages while awaiting trial.
The same would happen for a teacher accused of pedophilia.
If the teacher were caught in the act of assaulting
a student, eg, witnesses, video recording, arrest
would happen....at leas there it would. I don't know
about Australiastan.
The more important thing is that the investigation is free and full, and justice is served.

The woman has now passed away due to head trauma sustained in the incident and there are calls for the charges to be upgraded to murder, which is possible.

At the risk of sounding glib, the most
important thing is to ensure that cops
are qualified & properly trained to avoid
harming the public.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, in Australiastan that’s not necessarily the case. Kind of lol

Being paid whilst on suspension pending a fair investigation is actually a standard workplace agreement. This often includes trials pertaining to legal charges.
Usually for full pay to be in effect, the accusation needs to be related to the workplace
Iow, your misconduct should happen on the worksite or otherwise be directly related to the worksite.
Hence why teachers and police and first responders etc can easily claim full pay when under investigation. Their misconduct usually occurs on the job just by default.
But this does extend to other professions.
I’m not entirely sure if that means all professions, but I know it is a thing in a lot of workplaces.

The exact details of this probably differs depending on the actual agreement one has in their workplace. And I wouldn’t be surprised if there are small variations state to state
But Coppers aren’t actually the only ones given full pay when they are under investigation or even when charged.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Teachers are civilians. But regardless, I think our workplace agreements and yours differ pretty substantially in a lot of ways.
(Complete sidenote, but I think cops are civilians too, and seeing themselves as separate from the community at large is problematic. One of my many hobby horses...)

If the teacher were caught in the act of assaulting
a student, eg, witnesses, video recording, arrest
would happen....at leas there it would. I don't know
about Australiastan.

There's a difference between investigation and arrest (which I know you're aware of, just emphasising the point). I'm not generally a fan of the police force, but I'm looking for them to be held to a consistent standard. I don't need knee jerk justice to reach that, but there does need to be justice. Certainly I watch the case with interest.

At the risk of sounding glib, the most
important thing is to ensure that cops
are qualified & properly trained to avoid
harming the public.

Well...that doesn't sound glib, just somewhat tangential to what I meant. I would be right with you in terms of proper training, etc. But I was talking more specifically about this particular incident, rather than larger lessons learnt, etc.