• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australia's only Liberal premier calls for state election in Tasmania

danieldemol

Premium Member
  • 'In short: Tasmanian premier Jeremy Rockliff has called an early election, over a year before it was scheduled, after two independent MPs declined to renegotiate an agreement with the state government.
  • Lara Alexander and John Tucker defected from the Liberals last year, pushing the Rockliff government into minority rule.
  • What's next? Tasmanians will be voting on March 23 to elect 35 members to the House of Assembly, after the numbers were increased from 25 in 2022.'
Source: Tasmanian state election called after Liberal defectors snub premier's ultimatum

Minority government for the Liberal Party in Tasmania, sounds like they are failing to govern in the last state they have an active government to me. I hope this turns out to be another Liberal party defeat.

I noticed also that he sent an ultimatum to Liberal turned independant MPs that they can't vote for Labour or Greens ammendments or motions. An attempt at suppressing the individual conscience of the Independant MPs perhaps?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
We desperately need a sane and strong centre-right (in my opinion).
Labour isn't doing such a good job that they should be dominating the political landscape like this, and plenty of people seem to agree given that their vote has either stagnated or dropped in many instances.

Politically, they (Labour) seem to have stubbed their toe. The Libs seem to have taken a shotgun and blown off their own foot.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
We desperately need a sane and strong centre-right (in my opinion).
Labour isn't doing such a good job that they should be dominating the political landscape like this, and plenty of people seem to agree given that their vote has either stagnated or dropped in many instances.

Politically, they (Labour) seem to have stubbed their toe. The Libs seem to have taken a shotgun and blown off their own foot.
Copycats.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Respectfully to me this doesn't seem like helpful feedback. What areas would you have done things differently to Tasmania's labour party?
To be fair, my context was that a strong opposition is beneficial to the nation. I'm not talking specifically about Tasmania's Labour Party, but Labour as a political movement, both state and federally.
You also need to allow for the fact that in Tasmania, Labour has NOT been in power, which limits the good they can do...but also the missteps.

If after all that, you're determined to pursue this line of thought...