• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Claims made by Jack Chick publications

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I was browsing Wikipedia and found a list of claims made by Chick tracts. Some of these are downright scary... :eek:

• Islam was a movement founded by the Roman Catholic Church (which Chick claims was created by Constantine, and which he insists isn't Christian)
  • Islamic countries are persecuting Christians more and more
  • Allah was originally a pagan moon god
  • Muhammad is either "whom he claimed to be, a liar or a nut case (mentally insane or demon possessed)" {sic)
  • JWs use a bible formed from corrupted Roman Catholic manuscripts
  • The Watchtower Society is a false prophet, making inaccurate prophesies
  • JWs spy on each other, being ordered to 'turn in' members
  • JWs are an 'organization of slaves, working desparately to "earn" eternal life'
  • Apperarances of Mary, mother of Jesus, are in fact those of "a deceptive pagan deity known as the Queen of Heaven"
  • The bibles authorised by Roman Catholic officials "are really clever counterfeits, designed to eliminate God's preserved words in English"
  • IHS (In hoc signis) stands for the Egyptian gods Isis, Horus, and Seb
  • Catholics claim Jesus was a communist
  • Mary is a goddess to whom the Catholic church puts up shrines
  • The Catholic church kills Protestants who attack it, using, for example, fake car acidents
  • The King James Version of the Bible is the only recorded word of God, and all other editions are corrupt [Bolded because that made me crack up :biglaugh:]
  • Young school children are told that homosexuality is OK, and God hates homosexuality
  • A repentant husband should sometimes be invited back into a family after he has beaten his wife
  • Homosexuals are eight times more likely to molest children than heterosexuals
  • Gluons don't exist and nothing can explain positively charged protons don't cause atoms to explode
  • evolution is not science, rather it is a religion
  • Dinosaurs have existed and are probably alive today
Some people believe this stuff? :eek: :help:

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I don't even think Protestants take this guy serious anymore. Sadly some people do believe him.

~Victor

M

Majikthise

Victor said:
I don't even think Protestants take this guy serious anymore. Sadly some people do believe him.

~Victor
Hey!! I used to be a Protestant!! Except for the fake car accident thing, I never believed any of it.:D

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
slamic countries are persecuting Christians more and more
More Christians are killed in present day, than in the days of Roman persecution.

The Watchtower Society is a false prophet, making inaccurate prophesies
if I can find it, I have a book that references quite a few false prohpecies.

The Catholic church kills Protestants who attack it, using, for example, fake car acidents
I always knew those Catholics were sneaky (fatherless persons).

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Mister Emu said:
More Christians are killed in present day, than in the days of Roman persecution.
That's because there are more Christians and more people worldwide than there were in Roman times.

DeepShadow

White Crow
A repentant husband should sometimes be invited back into a family after he has beaten his wife
Actually, while vague and poorly worded, this one isn't necessarily untrue. There have been successful cases of penitent abusers.

Not that I credit Jack Chick with any kind of accuracy here; a broken clock is right twice a day, after all.

As a missionary, I was always amused by people who would show me "The Visitors," Jack's tract about 'Mormonism.' If you don't mind, I'll add to your list of funny claims:

*Mormon temples don't just have a "prayer roll" for people in need, they also have a "curse roll," so you can phone in and place a curse on someone.

And of course, from "Deadly Dungeons," there was the idea that after reaching an certain level in D&D, Satan actually gives you the powers of your character. Who knows how many kids read that tract and started playing just for that reason! But boy, have I met a lot of disappointed people.

"I've played a wizard up through 17th level and I still can't cast a fireball!" :149:

Come see Mystery Science Theater take on Jack Chick!

Uncertaindrummer

No, protestants do not really listen to this guy. Like Karl Keating says in "Catholicism and Fundamentalism", the real threat from crazy guys like Chick is not that their absurd nonsense creates conversions--they don't--but that extreme anti-Catholics like Bart Brewer can claim "Hey, I am telling the truth! I am not some wacko like Jack Chick!" And can claim to be "moderate" when relaly they are decidedly anti Catholic.

Dayv

I'm not real fond of the Roman Catholic Church (not the people, the church), but I don't it's quite as bad as this guy's saying. I was Catholic for 16 years, and I don't remember it being mentioned that Jesus was a communist. Didn't communism not really come along until Marx in the early 1900's (or was it late 1800's?)
Some of what this guy is saying doesn't seem to be terribly far off, if a bit exagerated. But some of it's really out there.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Dayv said:
I'm not real fond of the Roman Catholic Church (not the people, the church), but I don't it's quite as bad as this guy's saying. I was Catholic for 16 years, and I don't remember it being mentioned that Jesus was a communist. Didn't communism not really come along until Marx in the early 1900's (or was it late 1800's?)
Some of what this guy is saying doesn't seem to be terribly far off, if a bit exagerated. But some of it's really out there.
Errr, I don't think you've understood; this guy's got one or two screws loose!:)

Dayv

Oh, I know, a real nutcase, no argument there. Anyone that promotes any sort of hatred has serious problems, and that's all this man is doing.

Finnyhaha

I read somewhere the Jack Chick is a rather mysterious figure, no one seems to know where he lives or what he looks like. He doesn't do public appearances or anything like that. I have no way of knowing for sure, but part of me is saying. . . maybe this is some guy who is just having a joke on all of us.

One the other hand, I have a couple of relatives who pass out this guy's tracts like candy. Claiming that they're truthful and then SURPRISE that they've never read them. . .

ayani

Jack Chick rocks.

he has to be the world's most brilliantly ironic comedian because, frankly, no one could make such awesomely embarassing, downright hilarious claims and not be laughing behind the curtain.

that's my take, anyway.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
DeepShadow said:
As a missionary, I was always amused by people who would show me "The Visitors," Jack's tract about 'Mormonism.' If you don't mind, I'll add to your list of funny claims:

*Mormon temples don't just have a "prayer roll" for people in need, they also have a "curse roll," so you can phone in and place a curse on someone.
It's such a relief to hear that we weren't ignored! :biglaugh: