• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Treasure Hunter

If someone who is bound for an eternal damnation is fully known by God before they are created, why did God create them in the first place?
Eternal damnation is only accessible for those with strong faith. They willingly enter into the fire as both a form of revenge against God + trust that God the father will save them from it.

It’s a win-win situation for them. Either the father fulfills his word of new life in a new kingdom or the father is condemned and shamed for allowing his son, who is proving himself worthy, to burn in the eternal fire.

Treasure Hunter

“...come hell or high water”

Does this phrase not resonate with anyone on this forum? Is no one willing to make a stand in this world other than myself?

Ella S.

*temp banned*
Or as mythos,
or as beyond metaphor.​

Or, more likely, an anthropomorphic personification of the natural world.

The concept of God developed out of an anthropomorphic personification of the sky. The top god slowly absorbed all of the offices of the god underneath him until he ended up being seen as the agency behind everything else, too.

The Tanakh, at least, seems like it's amenable to a cultural interpretation through the lens of naturalistic pantheism. It's far above the, uh, much more rigid literalism found in the so-called New Testament.

Of course, I think most ancient authors who speak about God clearly thought God had a mind of its own, especially given that the idea of such a God is probably a development from animism to polytheism to monotheism. Could we outgrow this by realizing that the universe does not have its own mind, as Spinoza did? I don't know.

It seems like the more mature theology to me, but it's not traditional Christian theology. Spinoza's books were censored as heresy, after all.

Treasure Hunter

And as Job learned, who are we to talk back? We can't stop him. We just have to let him use us as his cosmic playthings.
It’s essential to notice that Job leveled up at the end of the story. He forced God’s hand. His friends who were unwilling to confront and condemn God did not.

Job is an example of someone who has mastered being a wolf in sheep’s clothing. He manipulated God through glorification and submission in order to remain close enough to condemn him. It was a bad experience for God and one which he did not want to endure again which is why he elevated Job at the end of the story.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If someone who is bound for an eternal damnation is fully known by God before they are created, why did God create them in the first place?

Not everyone believes in eternal damnation.
There exists so many different concepts of God, you just have to pick the one you are most comfortable with.

Kfox

It’s essential to notice that Job leveled up at the end of the story. He forced God’s hand. His friends who were unwilling to confront and condemn God did not.

Job is an example of someone who has mastered being a wolf in sheep’s clothing. He manipulated God through glorification and submission in order to remain close enough to condemn him. It was a bad experience for God and one which he did not want to endure again which is why he elevated Job at the end of the story.
I have a different take on the Job story. According to the story; Satan knows God knows everything and only tells the truth. So for the Devil were to approach God with a wager that he could turn Job against him, all God has to do is tell him that he can’t and the devil would know that to be the truth and the conversation would be over. The fact that God fell for such a foolish trick allowing Satan to harm the one person who really loved him tells me he isn’t as wise, knowledgeable, fair as most believers think he is.