• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darwin's "origin of species" is Biblical?

HonestJoe

The author has written that the Supernatural Creator has made 4 or 5 original beings (using the wonder of Creation), from which all the planet's life forms have come.
Darwin? Can you quote and (significantly) date that statement?

Darwin's beliefs on theology and creation were complex and changing, as would be expected given the combination the social environment he happened to be born in to, his life experiences and his intelligence. He also variously censored himself in life and had words put in to (or taken from) his mouth posthumously, for various reasons.

In itself though, The Origin of Species is an entirely secular book. It describes the processes of evolution and speciation of existing life, not the origins of it. Any surrounding speculation beyond is exactly that; speculation.

But today's Evolution Theory says there has been only one being whose appearance was random matter fluctuations.
It's not quite that simple nor that definitive but the fact that Darwin didn't know everything about evolution and was mistaken in some of his conclusions shouldn't be surprising and nor does it impact the wider validity of his work. One of the key differences between religious and scientific approaches to this kind of question is that the religious ones are often based on definitive statements that can't be questioned or changed while scientific ones are specifically intended to be tested, challenged, improved and built upon.

gnostic

The Lost One
The author has written that the Supernatural Creator has made 4 or 5 original beings (using the wonder of Creation), from which all the planet's life forms have come.

But today's Evolution Theory says there has been only one being whose appearance was random matter fluctuations.

The last line.

I am not a biologist, so I am uncertain as to what you mean by, in that last paragraph.

I need more, so can you expand & explain what you mean by this, for the sake of clarification?

I just need you to clear my confusion to this new thread.

And as you say “today’s Evolution Theory says…”, can you also cite who said what, where? I am asking for your source(s).

please…and thank you.

questfortruth

I need more, so can you expand & explain what you mean by this, for the sake of clarification?
And as you say “today’s Evolution Theory says…”, can you also cite who said what, where? I am asking for your source(s).
To cite Wiki: All life on Earth—including humanity—shares a last universal common ancestor (LUCA),[9][10][11] which lived approximately 3.5–3.8 billion years ago.[12]

Many say that LUCA has come from random processes in life-less matter. I called it matter fluctuations, to remind you of vacuum quantum fluctuations.

Pogo

o cite Wiki: All life on Earth—including humanity—shares a last universal common ancestor (LUCA),[9][10][11] which lived approximately 3.5–3.8 billion years ago.[12]

Many say that LUCA has come from random processes in life-less matter. I called it matter fluctuations, to remind you of vacuum quantum fluctuations.
The first line is correct, the second line is an example of a
Trump hyperbolic lie which is usually said as "many people are saying" which means only the voices in his head, of which there may be many, have made up a statement that he thinks his gullible followers might believe in spite of the fact that no rational person is actually saying it.
Calling it vacuum fluctuations only indicates that you are one of the gullible who has no idea what vacuum fluctuations or abiogenesis is about or whether LUCA even means the first life form.

Doubt me, prove me wrong?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
To cite Wiki: All life on Earth—including humanity—shares a last universal common ancestor (LUCA),[9][10][11] which lived approximately 3.5–3.8 billion years ago.[12]

Excellent quote, thanks.

My understanding is that LUCA was not random at all, but had definite causes, such as the impact of early earth environment, location such as water, and (in the current hypothesis) chemical evolution, none of which can be described as random.

In my experience, one single ancestor is the most commonly held idea, but there are some scientists who do argue for multiple origins.

"Still, there may not be one LUCA as such"

gnostic

The Lost One
All life on Earth—including humanity—shares a last universal common ancestor (LUCA),[9][10][11] which lived approximately 3.5–3.8 billion years ago.[12]

It is written in his book "origin of species."

“On the Origin of Species”, questfortruth…not the “On the Origin of Life”.

Darwin’s book is about evolving, such as speciation, when the environment changed that put pressures on populations to pass on the necessary physical traits that are better at adapting to the changes to the environment.

Nothing in that book speaks of the appearance of first life; On the Origin of Species was never about abiogenesis.

He did write something very briefly in one of his letters to his friend, where life might have started in shallow water, but it was just speculation in his correspondence to Joseph Hooker in 1871. Darwin didn’t explain further as to mechanism of how that would have come about, nor did he start any research on this idle thought he had.

Second.

it is my understanding that the Last Universal Common Ancestor was proposed in the late 20th century, so I don’t think Darwin invented the LUCA idea. So what you are saying about Darwin and his On the Origin is anachronistic.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One

ok, thank you for trying to explain your in the OP, but I am still confused as to why you would bring up “random matter fluctuations“ when the wiki article on LUCA have said nothing about any fluctuations at all - not “quantum fluctuations”, not “matter fluctuations”.

so I am still confused as to where you got the matter fluctuations from, if it didn’t come from the LUCA article from wiki?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

Ignoring the bluster, just as a general reminder:

LUCA = LAST Universal Common Ancestor.

Not "first" common ancestor. LAST common ancestor.

What do you think this implies in context of the origins of life?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Ancient tribal text based on mythology has nothing to do with the physical nature of our existence billions of years old.
Well, the nature of our physical existence is not random. It is likely it is energy fluctuations as the smallest Quantum scale that you are referring to. It is an objectively verified property of energy at the Quantum scale and not much to do with the Evolution theory.

Ignorance of basic science remains your problem.