• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Destruction?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Every time I see my beloved S(h)iva described as the God of destruction, I cringe. There are so many better words that this process of His could have been translated to, but sadly, the translators were generally from way outside the dharmic paradigm .... dissolution, dismantling, absorption, tearing down, extinguishing, deconstructing, decomposing, merging, dissolving, disintegrating, ... You have more? Not just that, but He has 4 more big powers unrelated to that one.

On a more positive note, I'm glad they didn't call Him the killer.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Every time I see my beloved S(h)iva described as the God of destruction, I cringe. There are so many better words that this process of His could have been translated to, but sadly, the translators were generally from way outside the dharmic paradigm .... dissolution, dismantling, absorption, tearing down, extinguishing, deconstructing, decomposing, merging, dissolving, disintegrating, ... You have more? Not just that, but He has 4 more big powers unrelated to that one.

On a more positive note, I'm glad they didn't call Him the killer.
I've never liked 'destruction', either. I accept its usage, but I I think there are so many better titles that could be used(I understand I used it earlier).

Redemption is probably my favorite. He takes what is no longer usable, and gives it new life or purpose. It seems like a loving act...

What are the other 4 big powers?

I tend to see him as the one that's always there... I don't know how to word that more eloquently.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I, personally, love Siva as the god of destruction. This person built this facade. Siva will burn this illusion to reveal what is real. It may be the primary reason I relate to Siva.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've never liked 'destruction', either. I accept its usage, but I I think there are so many better titles that could be used(I understand I used it earlier).

Redemption is probably my favorite. He takes what is no longer usable, and gives it new life or purpose. It seems like a loving act...

What are the other 4 big powers?

I tend to see him as the one that's always there... I don't know how to word that more eloquently.
Emanation, sustaining, revealing grace, and concealing grace. Each one has it's own murthy, and they are installed on the sides and back niche of Iraivan temple. It is tradition to pause at each one as you circumambulate. The day after Sivaratri as I was exiting, some monks were taking down the temporary 'coffee' tent structure. I spoke to one, saying, "I have a new word for dissolution ... dismantling." He quipped, "and His revealing grace gave you that thought."

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Emanation, sustaining, revealing grace, and concealing grace. Each one has it's own murthy, and they are installed on the sides and back niche of Iraivan temple. It is tradition to pause at each one as you circumambulate. The day after Sivaratri as I was exiting, some monks were taking down the temporary 'coffee' tent structure. I spoke to one, saying, "I have a new word for dissolution ... dismantling." He quipped, "and His revealing grace gave you that thought."
Can you give me examples of emanation and concealing grace?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Can you give me examples of emanation and concealing grace?
Emanation is mistranslated as 'creation'. Usually creation is like a potter ... something done from outside, like a puppeteer. In His case it also includes the clay and the wheel. So anything new to your eyes or of a new form is emanation, building, constructing, becoming, forming, etc. As for concealing grace, it's the inner principle of withholding knowledge because you (the soul) aren't ready for it, like suddenly bursting into light, or seeing the glory of the sahaswara chakra. Concealing grace is what keeps us sane. Does that help?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Emanation is mistranslated as 'creation'. Usually creation is like a potter ... something done from outside, like a puppeteer. In His case it also includes the clay and the wheel. So anything new to your eyes or of a new form is emanation, building, constructing, becoming, forming, etc. As for concealing grace, it's the inner principle of withholding knowledge because you (the soul) aren't ready for it, like suddenly bursting into light, or seeing the glory of the sahaswara chakra. Concealing grace is what keeps us sane. Does that help?
Very much, thank you.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
But you're using it in a specific context within the paradigm.
Just to add ... I still don't really like the word, as it connotes a more sudden event. The ego is dismantled slowly, over time. It's via the process of sadhana and worship, giving in to the will of Siva. Many lifetimes.

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!

May I ask about the separate murties for each of Shiva's graces (is that the right word)? I had no idea about that!

I'm on a journey of learning more about Shiva and getting to know Him. I figured if Mother loves Him, I should at least be on friendly terms with Him. So far, we're getting along very well. :)

Thanks in advance!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
May I ask about the separate murties for each of Shiva's graces (is that the right word)? I had no idea about that!

I'm on a journey of learning more about Shiva and getting to know Him. I figured if Mother loves Him, I should at least be on friendly terms with Him. So far, we're getting along very well. :)

Thanks in advance!
This is the best I can do for you. Enjoy. Today at Kauai's Hindu Monastery

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't like the word destruction either. I correct people when and as necessary. It smacks of wanton random destruction for its own sake. I tell people he does not go around blowing things up for kicks. I use the example of a star dying. It's old and worn out. Its death and destruction creates new elements that can create new life, whether sentient or non-sentient i.e. new stars and planets. Elements heavier than iron are only created in super- and hyper-nova explosions. I tell them he destroys the ego and evil. I usually get an "Ohhh, I get it!" response.

Btw, my temple has bas-reliefs around the exterior of the Shiva sanctum showing him in various forms: Lingodbhava, Gangadhara, and others I can't recall at the moment. I think there are 12 or 15 in total.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Thanks Vinayaka and all others for their input. Excellent thread. For me Shiva is an old friend.

images