• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Zoroastrianism influence Christianity?

MD

qualiaphile
MD, I think it would be highly enlightening if you also elaborated on some of the philosophical similarities between Zoroastrianism and Hinduism. Does it tend to be a bit Dharmic at times too?

They both came from some proto Indo European religion. They both emphasize fire as holy and have many cultural and historical similarities. Prayer over the fire and the way Brahmin priests pray is in some ways similar to Zoroastrian priests. The caste system in pre Islamic Iran was similar to Hinduism, and the yazatas are basically the Indo European gods made into angels (although they were meant to be abstract). The pre Zoroastrian Iranians had a trimurti sort of, with Indra, Mazda and Mithra as the three top gods.

However I think Zoroastrianism was the first divide as it basically went against the hard determinism of Hinduism. It said that we shape our own destiny, there is nothing truly written.

Philosophically it is different, but religiously it's not so different.

MD

qualiaphile
It seems more philosophical then, than ''religious,'' which is cool in my eyes. I really like the premise behind it. What do you believe about mortality and do you pay much mind to the idea of an after life? I don't personally get too into the idea of an after life in Christianity, although I believe that there is some type of heaven.

It started out as a philosophical movement, then it became a religion, but now it is returning to it's philosophical roots.

Since there is no way to prove any religion is true, I believe it's philosophy is what should guide you rather than faith. I only have faith in myself and that there are creative and destructive forces in the universe, which ones we can choose to work with are up to us.

MD

qualiaphile
No for real; that's why there is a prophecy written in Jesus time in the gospels, about the outside world and other faiths and or other monotheistic religions even baal "fire" believing that it is or isn't sounds real nice even with old testament stuff; though true could be deceptive but completely reworked having an influence over false prophecy in the church. How many times, really. Last time and hopefully no more......... It's harmed and even killed or attacked people. How many times have people gone to church and/or saw something online tv; and ummm was like don't know what that is but no. And they were preaching about God and stuff. They're doing fantastic things of wow but superstitious even sometimes applying it to old Judaism or just lol marshmellowing it in with judgments and swinging from chandeliers but it's like ummm no again. Common sense would tell you. For the love of mutant ninja turtles (that's deceptive not a rainbow) what is wrong with you and ya fire "gods" ugh; need to come back down a bit. When they realize that being honest in "some" points diffuses and sounds more convincing? Umm..what It's not is faith or ........ talking like that. Reality check the prophecy given in the gospel says that the outside would do that and they'd marshmellow it over fire... And puff the magic dragon (I'm not talking about weed, I'm not against weed with reason that's not what I was referring too) but the other magic dragon .

Not sure how your rants in this DIR are going without being removed...but oh well

Deidre

It started out as a philosophical movement, then it became a religion, but now it is returning to it's philosophical roots.

Since there is no way to prove any religion is true, I believe it's philosophy is what should guide you rather than faith. I only have faith in myself and that there are creative and destructive forces in the universe, which ones we can choose to work with are up to us.

I see. I think you can believe one is true over others, but it would be subjective. Do you believe in God? Just curious.

MD

qualiaphile
I see. I think you can believe one is true over others, but it would be subjective. Do you believe in God? Just curious.

I believe there are metaphysical forces beyond our minds that exist in the universe and one of those forces would be what we call God. But it's really abstract and impersonal, imo. Other Zoroastrians believe in a very personal God that match the Abrahamic model.

Deidre

It's interesting how this philosophy can intertwine with religious beliefs, if one so chooses to place them there. That being a theist or not isn't determining one's ability to also follow this path. Thanks for the enlightening explanations, MD!

Reactions: MD