• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Differences betwen eastern and western Christian soteriology

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I have found the following article to be a very good explanation, and one that is far more eloquent than I could produce, of some of the soteriological differences between eastern and western Christian confessions. Many thanks to Comprehend for bringing it to my attention (he deserves frubals but I'm out).

http://www.stpaulsirvine.org/html/Justification.htm

As this difference is often one of the most important reasons that converts give for choosing Orthodoxy over other churches and also given how very real a difference this makes to our theology and how often I am asked to explain aspects of it, I thought that it was worth stickying this link in the EO forum. Don't be surprised if I recommend it frequently - it really is that good.

James

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
Thank you so very much for bringing this article to my attention. Just in the past year I had come to the conclusion that the Augustinian model of original sin was flawed and that original sin or original guilt needed to be reexamined by the Roman Church. Recently I have also looked into soteriology and was not pleased with the compartmentalized theories like the satisfaction theory which placed to much emphasis on one aspect of justification. After reading this article I must say that I believe I am fully in line with the Eastern theology concerning these issues. I must say that this article is just plain great!

Before I had become more familiarized with Eastern theology I held the view, mostly out of ignorant arrogance, that when the East and West where reconciled it would be the East that would have to renounce their false teachings and return to communion with Rome. I have given up this view and I am ashamed that I ever held it. After reading this article on soteriology it has become all the more clear that both Churches are going to have to give and take in order to be reconciled. I believe the the Western Church should follow the lead of the Eastern Church in this matter of soteriology to include the adoption of the sacramental model of the East (infant baptism, chrism, communion, etc...)

Thank you James for opening my eyes and letting some light in,
May God bless you
PeAcE