• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does any supernatural god exist?

Does any supernatural god exist?

• Certainly

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Certainly not

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Certainly don't know

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters

Tinkerpeach

Even if I grant you that God exists, it doesn't help, because you are only argueing for a creator God. That is not the same as a giver of morality. So it is not certain that the God you believe in for morality is that same as the God that might exists.
That is as close as I can get. I can accept that there might be a creator God, but I have never seen objective evidence for morality.
Morality doesn’t apply to God.

Using my ants again because I like ants I will ask if you are morally wrong to kill tens of thousands of ants by spraying them because they dared build a home in your backyard?

Most people would say no because they are just ants and not on our level. Now imagine you actually created those ants and told them not to build in your backyard but they still did.

Well that would be double the reason to spray them with Raid but still not morally wrong on your part.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Because people aren’t Gods and don’t have that power but God does.

An ant can never build an airplane but does that mean airplanes can’t exist?
The difference is we already know what ants are and who makes airplanes.

It's why deficits in standards of believability should be addressed.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Morality doesn’t apply to God.

Using my ants again because I like ants I will ask if you are morally wrong to kill tens of thousands of ants by spraying them because they dared build a home in your backyard?

Most people would say no because they are just ants and not on our level. Now imagine you actually created those ants and told them not to build in your backyard but they still did.

Well that would be double the reason to spray them with Raid but still not morally wrong on your part.

So there is no morality as such? Is that it?

Tinkerpeach

Yes, it says that he himself did it with the money he had gotten in Acts. In Matthew, it said that he threw away the money and the priests did it instead

Just to be clear, in one version he keeps the money and uses it himself. In the other he throws the money away and the priests use it themselves. Both of those statements cannot be true. Either one is true, or none is true
When you buy a house do you actually bring a bag of cash to the homeowner or are there third parties involved that facilitate that purchase for you?

Tinkerpeach

The difference is we already know what ants are and who makes airplanes.

It's why deficits in standards of believability should be addressed.
Same thing.

We know who humans are and what abilities they possess and turning staffs into snakes is not one of them.

God does possess that ability though.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Same thing.

We know who humans are and what abilities they possess and turning staffs into snakes is not one of them.

God does possess that ability though.
No the only thing that we know about God is that it's something that comes from the human mind and Imagination which is where God dwells.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
When you buy a house do you actually bring a bag of cash to the homeowner or are there third parties involved that facilitate that purchase for you?

The Bible doesn't describe what you are suggesting at all. Throwing money away and hanging yourself isn't how you buy property. You're utilizing mental gymnastics to make sense of a contradiction that's irreconcilable

Tinkerpeach

The Bible doesn't describe what you are suggesting at all. Throwing money away and hanging yourself isn't how you buy property. You're utilizing mental gymnastics to make sense of a contradiction that's irreconcilable
No it’s you who are glossing over context like how that part of the world operated back then, how the meanings of words are different in other languages and having only a small recording of the event.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Maybe you should suspend beliefs and admit you don't know what the world/the universe/reality/everything is and you don't need to know it to have a life.

I probably could now but before I had to justify the allocation of effort and resources.
If you have no responsibilities, then sure, you can go about La La land. That works only in so far as you can isolate yourself from reality.
Survival requires an minimal acceptance of reality. Simple existence perhaps even less.

However, one's ability to deal effectively with reality depends greatly on their acceptance of that reality.
If you don't care about that then there is no reason it should be important to you.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
No it’s you who are glossing over context like how that part of the world operated back then, how the meanings of words are different in other languages and having only a small recording of the event.

There is no context in which the excuses you've proposed make sense - like technically Judas bought the land because he used the priests as a third party to buy the land for him when he threw the money away? Do you not see what mental gymnastics that requires?

In one version Judas possesses the money and he uses it. In the other he casts the money away and the priests then possess the money and they use it. It's unmistakably clear. Both of those things cannot be true

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I probably could now but before I had to justify the allocation of effort and resources.
If you have no responsibilities, then sure, you can go about La La land. That works only in so far as you can isolate yourself from reality.
Survival requires an minimal acceptance of reality. Simple existence perhaps even less.

However, one's ability to deal effectively with reality depends greatly on their acceptance of that reality.
If you don't care about that then there is no reason it should be important to you.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean that reality is only physical, material, natural and/or objective. And it doesn't mean you have to know what reality is. It only means it has to work for you.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yeah, but that doesn't mean that reality is only physical, material, natural and/or objective.

Never said it was. Only the part that would be relevant to human existence.

And it doesn't mean you have to know what reality is. It only means it has to work for you.

Or I would say you have to be able to work with it. So anything supernatural you would not be able to work with.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Never said it was. Only the part that would be relevant to human existence.

Or I would say you have to be able to work with it. So anything supernatural you would not be able to work with.

Problem is that relevance is not physical, material, natural and/or objective and you have no evidence for it as it has no measureable effect as per your standard of evidence.
That is your trick in short. Your demand for evidence as for the demand itself is without evidence.