• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does believing, thinking or feeling something is true actually make it true?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It's a question not a problem.

And a good one with broad application. So, for example:

Does believing, thinking, or feeling that the virgin birth and resurrection narratives are true actually make it true?​

The general answer to the generalized question is no, but, in terms of this particular thread
  • we are the product of gender binary culture that is being increasingly challenged, such that
  • the question as constructed may not be particularly helpful.
If a person born biologically male identifies as female, my responsibility (imo) is to respect her gender identity.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
In recent discussions about gender identity it was said that gender identity is validated by what the person believes, thinks and feels. Fine. The follow question was then posted: Is someone with a penis who believes, thinks and feels that they are woman, actually a woman? The common response was, it's not a yes or no question. Is that true? If a person said they believe, think and feel that they are a frog mean they are actually a frog? Could we not say to that person you are an amphibian?
I don't know very many people who like classical music, but really, it's almost the only music that I listen to. Where is "favourite music" stored in the human body? Some people love Brussels sprouts, or calves liver, or milk chocolate, and others hate them. What part of the body is the source of that?

When I was very young, I was called Jack Main, because my mother married a man whose last name was Main, but he never adopted me. When I was 8, I learned that me real name is Jack Allen E****, and ever since, I have called myself Allen E****. I hated the name Jack because my mother's husband was a cruel SOB, so I never use it, and I am very comfortable using my real last name. (By the way, this happened to my father, too, as a found out a few years ago -- he didn't know his true last name until he was about to get married, and his step-father told him that since he'd never been adopted, his true last name was White, not Faulkner, as he'd thought.)

Did I change into something else when my name changed? Did my father? Okay, where is "name" to be found in the human body? It's not there -- it's a social construct, having nothing to do with our genetics or our phenotype.

When I was young, the term "fire fighter" was never used, because they were all men, and we called them universally "firemen." But there are women fire fighters now. Should there be? What used to prevent a woman from being a "firewoman" years ago that no longer does?

Your identity -- the person that you feel yourself to be -- is a function of your mind, not your body. Because, again, person is a social construct -- it is not physical. A human being is a biped -- something that walks on two legs. Yet, a person who has had there legs blown off in war is no less a person for it, are they?

Why, then, are we so hung up on sex organs? They seem to be the ONLY THING that really matters to a lot of people -- if you got one of those, you must think and act this way, but of you've got the other, then you must think and act some other way.

Is that really, really important to you?

Ignatius A

And a good one with broad application. So, for example:

Does believing, thinking, or feeling that the virgin birth and resurrection narratives are true actually make it true?​

The general answer to the generalized question is no, but, in terms of this particular thread
  • we are the product of gender binary culture that is being increasingly challenged, such that
  • the question as constructed may not be particularly helpful.
If a person born biologically male identifies as female, my responsibility (imo) is to respect her gender identity.
The question is are they actually a female.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
In recent discussions about gender identity it was said that gender identity is validated by what the person believes, thinks and feels. Fine. The follow question was then posted: Is someone with a penis who believes, thinks and feels that they are woman, actually a woman? The common response was, it's not a yes or no question. Is that true? If a person said they believe, think and feel that they are a frog mean they are actually a frog? Could we not say to that person you are an amphibian?
I think you are forgetting to accurately distinguish between sex and gender.

To use your frog analogy: frogs exist physically but “frogness” would be an experience based on the idea (social construction) of what we think it means to be a frog.

Humbly,
Hermit

PureX

Veteran Member
The problem here is that you are seeking a singular answer when there is not one.

A man standing in front of a train as it speeds toward him will hear the train's horn a step higher in pitch then a man riding on that train will hear that same horn. And a man standing behind the train as it is moving away will hear that same horn a step lower in pitch than the man on the train, and two steps lower than the man in front of the train. So there is no singular answer regarding the pitch of the train's horn, because the pitch differs relative to the trains movement and the position of the listener.

The sexual identity of a human being can be determined via a number of different factors. And each of those factors may determine their own unique conclusion. Genitalia is a common means of determining gender, but it is not the only means, and other means are now becoming more commonplace. Even to the point of usurping genitalia as the main determining factor. So we will likely get different answers from different people when asked about a specific person's gender depending on which factors they hold to be the determinant factor. So we're going to need to get used to the idea that there is no singular answer to this question anymore.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Some people actually go that route and call themselves the most ridiculous things.

Most of it could be gender confusion but there are not as many people that actually have gender dysphoria where those figures are intentionally being inflated by activists.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The only thing necessarily true would be your feeling that it is true.
Otherwise no. Your feelings about what is true are not relevant to what is true.

However some see their feelings as more important than what is true. You get to decide which is more important. To you anyway.

The problem with that is that your defintion and standard of truth is not true, because it is based on what you think truth is.

Ignatius A

I think you are forgetting to accurately distinguish between sex and gender.

To use your frog analogy: frogs exist physically but “frogness” would be an experience based on the idea (social construction) of what we think it means to be a frog.

Humbly,
Hermit
Fascinating take. I'm not forgetting it.

"Frogness" (what we think it means to be a frog) is not quite the sane as someone saying they believe, think and feel that they are a frog.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
How do you know what I think is true?

There are no objective true or false. There are only different subjective standards. And that is neither true nor false. It is just one way to understand the world.
Learn to treat true and truth as God. Ideas some people believe in, but you don't have to believe in them to have a life.